“lovely stay”

Ranked #616 of 1,088 Hotels in London
chesterfield uk
“lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had a return visit here after staying in the summer.....everything again was brilliant ...a very warm welcome, lovely clean room with everything we needed ...lovely and warm as it was snowing outside....then staff couldnt do enough to make our 2 day stay any more comfortable...breakfast was delicious and hot....brilliant will be back again soon....oih and the location right near the tube was ideal...thankyou xx

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lizziec63
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear lizzie63,

Thank you for continuously choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and for providing us with this feedback on your most recent stay. I am delighted to hear that we met all your expectations yet again and that our staff went that much further to ensure you a pleasant stay. The Kensington Close team and myself look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Group Operations Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
deal kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked through lastminute.com, and all I can say is that the website is very misleading! Arrived in snow and room was so cold sat in coat, hat and gloves waiting for it to heat up which it never did. Moved to another room, no better and froze all night. Room very small, duvet not wide enough, sink clogged with hair yuck! Food and drink overpriced. Small swimming Pool charge of £8.00 to use and no biscuits only tea and coffee. Reception staff polite and tried their best only saving grace.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank k444dmc
Dear k444dmc

I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. In regards to the heating issues, I would like to express my sincere apologies for having to relocate to another room where you mentioned, the issue persisted. If you would be so kind to email me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com and provide me further details of your stay (i.e. room number) I would like to personally investigate this issue to understand what exactly had gone wrong. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy our spa facilities, and found that our complimentary in room tea and coffee facilities could have been more abundant. We appreciate all feedback and suggestions as it allows us to improve our services in the future. I am pleased that my staff had left a positive impression on you and we would be glad to have you revisit, giving us a chance to change your opinion of the Kensington Close Hotel.

I would greatly appreciate it you could provide us with details on the above issues, so that we can apply our full efforts in resolving them.

Group Operations Director

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Deal, Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked two rooms and stayed here on 19 Jan 2013. Before we left we looked at the flashy website and thought we were getting a bargain at £96 for a double room.

We arrived to find the reception area to be large and lovely, just like the website and the receptionist who checked us in was very friendly. She told us that the hotel had just been refurbished so we were really looking forward to getting up to our room.

Unfortunately when we got there we were really disappointed.

Bad points:
- room was TINY (my photos make it look bigger than it is)
- bed was tiny and squeezed in against the windowa, just room for a tiny shelf one side.
- even smaller duvet, which didn't cover both of us (had to ask for a blanket)
- bed springs kept 'twanging' (but not too uncomfortable)
- furniture was small so photos make the room look bigger than it is
- mould on the wall and around the window
- small old fashioned portable tv
- no biscuits
- bathroom got flooded when you showered and sink wouldn't drain
- no air con/heating unless you asked and then it was too noisy to have on at night
- you had to pay £8 if you wanted a swim and pool was small
- wireless internet wasn't free

Good points:
- staff very good (all foreign), pleasant and keen to help and provide a good service
- nice reception area (but expensive to drink)

Other information
- it's about a mile walk to the Royal Albert Hall
- there's a nice Thai restaurant across the street
- there's also a cafe called muffin man which didn't go in but looked quite nice

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Greater Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here for a week while exploring London, while there was not a lot of room to put suitcases that was a minor problem. We were only there to sleep or change for a night out. We really enjoyed coming back to the lounge area where the bar is, after a day spent hitting the pavement, it was very relaxing and enjoyable. They were renovating when we were there but we were not disturbed during the evening or early morning, and we were not there during the day. Breakfast was very filling or ligh t, whatever you wanted. We did ask for an iron which was slow arriving and had to request this a couple of time before it arrived. But heck if that is the worst thing that happens that is not much. Very close to the high st and the tube and some very nice little restaurants close by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank veramit11
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear VeraHobart,

Thank you very much for providing us with this review of your stay with us in July 2012. I am pleased to hear that despite the renovation works that were taking place at the time, you experienced no noise disturbances. I am also glad that you found our Kensington location ideal for your shopping and dining needs and that you took advantage of our relaxed and comfortable lounge after a day around town. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I dont usually write reviews on here but thought id share this experience.

Me and my partner booked to stay here from the 13th-15th January 2013.
On first impressions from reviews I went with an open mind.

The room we were in was TINY. and I mean TINY.... there was a double bed squished into the corner of the room, with a desk with a tv and coffee making facilities and a wardrobe and that was it! There was barely room to move about with our cases. However the room was clean which was my main concern. The view out of the window was a load of skips which they were not shy on tipping in first thing in the morning!

We arrived prior to check-in time so left our bags at the concierge free of charge while we roamed the city. However when doing the same checking-out we were charged £1 per bag. unsure why this was but I would rather pay it than traipse around london with suitcases!

One of the reasons why I booked this hotel over others is for the leisure facilities..... there is a charge of £8pp per day to use the pool!!! I was really dissapointed with this as i thought after a long day walking around London we could use the pool/jacuzzi but there was no way we were going to pay £16 to use a pool!! mental!

The hotel is right next to high street Kensington station which is very convenient and has Tesco metro, McDonalds and a range of other shops nearby.

on our last morning prior to check out at 12:00. They decided to begin drilling at around 8:30am! very considerate of them! then followed by two separate people on two separate occasions knocking on the door reminding us to check out at 12:00?! at 9:00?! I would understand if we were late?!

Overall, great location, great price considering its central london. but definately not a 4* hotel. Looks great on arrival but rooms are very basic.
Be careful of hidden costs and if they give you room 1005 ask them for another room!!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 1005!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luisa C
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Luisa C,

Thank for your providing feedback on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, noting that you experienced some noise disturbances and that you had incurred some unexpected charges during your visit. I would like to express my sincere apologies for the morning drilling that commenced at 830 – these are necessary works we are currently undergoing as part of our soft refurbishment plan. Works take place only Monday-Friday and we are doing everything in our capability to ensure minimal noise disturbances by relocating our guests to quieter areas and ensuring they do not extend past the usual working hours of 830-5pm. Moreover, I am sorry to hear that you were not informed of the standard £8 fee to access our health and spa facilities, which we believe is a very reasonable price for the facilities provided within the area of Kensington. Moreover, I apologize that the concierge had failed to inform you of the standard £1/ per item storage fee. I assure you I will personally brief all of my staff to diligently inform our clients of this.

I hope you will reconsider a future stay with us, giving us a chance to change your opinion of the Kensington Close Hotel. Should you wish to discuss the above matters in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com

Kind regards,
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent a few here and found ourselves coming back only to sleep .. The place was clean and well kept but the staff could use a picker upper smile every once in a while .. Nice value in a cute neighborhood.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Foodie2015
Dear Foodie2015,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel for your London stay. I am pleased that we met all your expectations in terms of accommodation, central Kensington location and property upkeep. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel our staff to be welcoming, as we take our customer service very seriously. I will pass on the remarks to my front of house staff and ensure this does not re-occur. I hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Kind regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Do not stay here. Smallest room's I have ever witnessed. Bed shoved against wall. Had to climb over my partner to get to toilet. Breakfast ok. Better staying in a premier inn. Bathroom dirty, no soap.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mintymonster76
Dear Mintymonster76,

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. I found your feedback somewhat appalling as our guestrooms most certainly do not justify the comments concerning the inadequate beds, dirty bathroom and lack of soap/basic toiletries. If you would be so kind to contact the hotel or myself directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com and provide us with the room number you stayed in, we would like to investigate these claims.