“Customer service is lacking - Go somewhere else.”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #605 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I chose the Kensington Close Hotel mainly for its location; but my experience there was SHOCKING.Checking-in was a little long winded but I put that down to the foreign receptionist, he even had the cheek to ask if he could take an extra £60 for breakfast etc (that I hadn't asked for) this suggested they don't trust their guests to settle their account on departure. The room looked tired and poorly maintained with chipped tiles and toilet; light not working and hand prints on the walls which had disturbed the dust and the carpet looked dirty; but this I put down to its star rating. The room was very noisy, heard all the traffic from the corridor outside my room as well as water flowing through the pipes (I'm guessing I was right by the main pipes). On the second night I came back to a call from reception telling me I wasn't booked in for the second night!! This contradicted my booking confirmation and what reception told me on checking-in when they had my card details. I highlighted my dissatisfaction when I checked-out but the receptionist was very dismissive with my comments and made it out that it was my fault; I felt very ill treated. My complaint about the maid knocking on my door not long after 8am was ignored. She ignored my booking confirmation and the fact that it was their fault; she also had the cheek to fob it off on a computer crash the night before when I pushed it further.
If you are thinking of going here, please think again as while they have refurbished the reception area, the room is crying out for help and the staff need training in basic customer service and a change in attitude!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KimothyT

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My preference in hotels is for something very small. I was booked into Kensington Close for work reasons. It is HUGE.
First impressions, nice area., near to tube. Concierge came and helped with bags. Lovely, friendly, helpful but not in-your-face. Check in was very busy but similarly pleasant and friendly. Very efficient.
Room was pleasant and clean. Nice sheets. I care about sheets. Quiet room, good lighting, good shower, with shampoo and shower gel.
Got wi fi for £9.95.
Breakfast was ok but catering for large numbers means that the little bits of nonsense that can make it special are harder to provide. Coffee was ok but not fabulous but I am v picky. Great service tho'.
Checkout swift and helpful and we got taxi.
Not the hotel's fault but streets were jammed and we should have taken the tube... Just a note for others on a deadline.
High spot really was the staff, really nice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kazz50
Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you want to miss your (no matter how bad it is) apartment/house then book this Hotel.

Before you book:

- Make sure it has breakfast included and other features you want included, otherwise, they will over charge you in the checkout.

- Wireless is not free.

- So called standard rooms are BELOW standards (see photos). I have booked so many crap motels and hotels before but this hotel has the smallest rooms I ever seen.

- Staff is friendly but they barely speak English.

- Smokers should stay away from this Hotel. It has no balcony (for safety reasons) and it takes a while to go outside because of long corridors and small lifts.

- I wanted to use swimming pool but they said jacuzzi is not working.

- Don't be fooled from the lobby photos and see some photos taken from guests. (good tip)

Make more research and see other Hotels before you book this one!!!

Good luck!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BDema
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I absolutely love this place and my whole experience being in London. It was fabulous the location, the food, the staff are very helpful and polite. I would recommend anyone to visit and experience the wonderful time I had here. I would definately like to make another trip at some point with my family.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sanike J
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

chips were burned on outside raw on inside and cold - fish was nasty. Breakfast was even worse than last nights meal. in fact it was that bad it made me physically sick.

Complained, asked to see the manager who was unhelpful and sarcastic and did nothing to either acknowledge or address the issues with food.

avoid.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank JP T
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great location, Great value. Very near central line tube station and major bus routes into central London. Everything about the hotel was positive. From the doorman who insisted on carrying our case into the lobby, the Reception staff that were welcoming and efficient to our warm comfortable first floor room that had been recently totally refurbished. It was not huge but it was a standard room with more than enough space, a comfortable bed and other nice touches for two people on a short stay. Breakfast was plentiful and excellent value, especially if it is part of a B&B deal. ALL staff were excellent. Welcoming and most attentive. The Bar prices were high, but hey ho it's London. We will use this hotel again. Eat at Sopranos restaurant close by on Kensington high street. Great food. Reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monteleone10
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good location, but extremely overpriced for very small rooms. Door to the bathroom is a sliding door as there is not enough room between the bottom of the bed and the bathroom to have a opening out wards door.
The bar area is very nice, the staff are all very helpful and polite, but the bar prices are unbelievable....... £9.50 for a gin & tonic!!!!!! £5.00 for a pint and £7.50 glass of wine......

• Stayed: November 2012