“Great bed and pillows”

Ranked #620 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Perth
“Great bed and pillows”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I only stayed one night here, I had booked a single room sort of last minute online. Everything about the hotel was good, location, foyer, room, bathroom etc., however, the staff were more than good, they were excellent, always offering to help when it appeared you needed help.

Upon entering my room I had two singles joined together, which was great for sleeping, but it made getting around the room a bit tight. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows, like sleeping on a cloud. I only wished I could have enjoyed a lay in, but I had a plane to catch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DSJkjm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times as its often reasonably priced, particularly if you book last minute. It's very close to the tube station High St Kensington, so if I want to just quickly book somewhere I know I'll often go for this one.

The rooms are comfy and clean, with comfy beds and temperature control. Most of the rooms I've stayed in are quite small but that's never a problem for me. I had room service last time and was disappointed to see I was charged £3 "tray charge" twice, once for the drink and once for the food..even though they came on the same tray!! (Meaning I paid £8 for an orange juice?!)

I had breakfast included in this stay and it was a very good hot breakfast with lots of choice, the restaurant was very busy though as the hotel is so big.

I had a short queue for checkout but found the staff generally helpful and efficient. I didn't get to use the pool on this occasion but if its like the rest of the hotel it's probably very good.

In short I'd say this hotel is a safe bet for what is usually a good price given how expensive London can be, especially on weeknights. I would say this would suit both business and leisure travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cathw66
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned after a great weekend in London. This hotel was idealy placed, near tube and shops. Helpful friendly staff.
Our Executive room was lovely with everything we needed to help make our stay a pleasant one. Only one negative thing was the £8 charge to use the pool, that is per person per day, a bit steep!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The first impressions were very good, with everything downstairs smart and impressive

But as soon as you move to your room, the standard was below Premier Inns

The room was clean, but after that, it was not possible to find anything complimentary about the hotel

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael W
kenclose, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you found our Hotel impressive. We are however, disappointed you were not absolutely pleased with your room. Depending on the room category booked you may have not have received our Club, Executive Club or Suite category rooms. You will note, we do have room sizes up to 27sq.meters depending on the category.

In fact, we would have been delighted to show you alternatives, at your request.

We hope you can visit our Hotel again so that we may showcase these rooms and their featured amenities such as flat screen TVs, mini bars, bathrobes, etc.

Thank you for your attention. We remain at your service.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

San Clemente, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is by far one of the worst hotel experiences I've had all year. "Unfriendly" would be the word I would use to describe the staff here. It was as if I was "putting them out" the minute I checked in. Granted, I only stayed for one night but it was enough to make sure that I will never stay again. My room was tiny and the bed caved in the middle. The heat didn't work and I had to call to get them to actually turn it on. My electrical adapter had trouble fitting in the socket--I called and they offered NO help. I forgot my toothbrush and asked them to bring me one and it evidently took an act of God to make that happen. Also, the bed smelled of that sickening air refresher that hotels use to mask other orders. There is absolutely nothing impressive about this hotel. The only reason I am giving it a 2 is because it is in a good location. The whole staff here could use some serious customer service training.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gregoryg63
kenclose, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your review sir. Our mission is to serve and exceed our guests' expectations by providing an unparalleled experience and attending to your every need. We are sorry to notice we fell short of those objectives.

It would have been most helpful, if you had been more specific in your remarks in order to assist us with addressing any possible challenges. In my humble opinion, it is fundamentally unfair to indict the entire team of 300 dedicated professionals without the opportunity to interact thoroughly with the team. I am confident you did not experience true Kensington Close hospitality during your very brief stay and would be delighted to host you again in order to rectify the distorted, in our opinion, view of our service and dedication.

If you in fact, did have any specific issues, did you communicate those to our Front Desk or Duty Manager? I notice you requested a tooth brush. While it does not take an act of God, it does take our concierge team the time to actually purchase it on your behalf. While we do not offer toothbrush kits at our Hotel, I am pleased that our team reacted swiftly to fulfil your request. Depending on the time of night/day, it may have been a short journey to the nearest available outlet.

Regarding the heat in your room, based on our Maintenance log, all you had to do was to insert the key card in the power port by the entrance to your room and press the on button.

I would also encourage you to book a larger category room in order to experience the luxurious settings those rooms offer, such as, flat screen TV, bathrobes, slippers, mini bar, etc.

Thank you for your attention. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 16, 2012

For the price of this hotel I thought it was very nice. The lobby is VERY nice and impressive. When I first walked in I thought I had the wrong place considering the price. The rooms are definitely nothing special though. They are small, dormitory style rooms. But.. They are clean and you have your own shower so I can't complain too much. The location is excellent, a few hundred yards from the tube. I'll stay again when visiting London on a budget!

Room Tip: Remember this hotel is for price. Rooms are pretty bare and nothing special but if you'll be sp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Megs0607,

Thank you very much for your positive review on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, noting that you felt it was of very good value for a four star hotel in central London, only minutes from High Street Kensington tube station . I look forward to your next visit with us.

Kind regards,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very impressed with the Kensington Close Hotel. The hotel was lovely; the service was excellent - very friendly and attentive staff. The food was great and the restaurant offered a very appealing atmosphere. I had a very wonderful stay and a great experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Opal G,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on your October stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you were very impressed by our facilities and service and that you had a positive dining experience. I sincerely hope to welcome you back on your next London visit.

Kind regards,