“Great hotel!”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #605 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Booked via Agoda.com on a deal, otherwise it would have been a bit too expensive. Stayed for one night in Superior Double room. The room was immaculate and everything was as expected. The only downside was the lady at the reception that could learn to be a bit more enthusiastic about her job. Other than that - excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T Z
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Reviewed October 22, 2012

On a recent business trip to London, my team and I stayed at the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and found it to be worth the stay. We had a number of meetings in the city, and this location gave us the opportunity to have our meetings and not miss out on the bustlings of High Street. The meals were great, rooms were decent, the staff professional and the service, in general was very efficent. I highly reccommend their spa services.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BNekeisha
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The location is excellent as it is very close to Kensington High St tube station. When I arrived it was pouring with rain but I was welcomed at the door by a very nice doorman who carried my bag to reception. My check in experience was fine.

I had booked a twin room with no breakfast included. I found my room which was on the 5th floor. I was very disappointed! It was quite small and the decor was fairly grubby. The bathroom was even smaller. If you were a larger person you would have difficulty using the toilet as it was boxed in. It was in an area that was about 2 ft wide! It felt like a walk in coffin!

There was no information in the room about the hotel except for the cost of the spa treatments and dining. I would have been interested in using the swimming pool if I had had more information. I only knew that there was an £8 charge due to looking at the website prior to my visit. I had to phone reception to find out about wi-fi (there is a charge for that too!). I think this is very poor!

I must admit that I didn't use the bar or restaurants but the areas looked lovely in comparison to the rooms (or at least the room I stayed in anyway!).

I am staying here again in a couple of weeks but only because it is close to where I need to be. I think it is over-rated at 4 star!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Lesley30a
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Double room very small. I am in a wheelchair and so need some space. When I complained I was told that all the rooms are the same size. The TV is an old cathode ray tube with five channels. I have never stayed in a London hotel room as small as this.
Wifi is very expensive.
The bed does not have a bedside table on both sides and there is no light switch on one side.
It is a shame that the public areas are so opulent and the bedrooms are so small.

• Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank Ednamaycosby
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Kensington Close is a very good option if you wish to stay in the bustling area of High Street Kensington. Its location is good as it is located a few hundred metres from the tube station, there is a Marks and Spencer nearby, a pharmacy and many eating places on High Street Kensington.

The hotel itself does not look very fancy on the outside but the inside is very nice. It has been recently renovated. The room I had was pretty well sized but I am duly informed by other members of my travelling party that their rooms were a bit on the small side.

The breakfast is not very inspiring though. I did not eat any other meals at the restaurant so I cannot comment on the quality of the other food. There is one main restaurant, if I remember correctly. There is no free wifi here. You have to pay for a password at the front desk. The price is according to how many hours you wish to purchase.

Most of the staff (doorman, bellboy, waiters etc) are very pleasant except for a few persons at reception who I found to be very rude and aloof when dealing with some members of my group. I think the front desk employees need to be a little more humble as they never know what offices their guests hold. I was very embarrassed when a young female employee working at the front desk of a hotel was being rude to Court of Appeal Judge, who was part of my party. The gentleman was very dignified in the manner in which he handled the situation, which was to brush it off. Perhaps a little training is needed for the staff?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank ElianaRG
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel From Tuesday 16th - Thursday 18th November 2012. It was solely because of location and price as I was needing to be close to the Earls Court arena. The hotel from the moment of arriving to the moment I left was nothing but excellent. The staff at the door to carry my case the the receptionist who booked me in the arrival was out of this world. The room was slightly small but I had no intentions of playing 5 a side in there so it was no issue. The quality of the room was excellent with great decor and very high standard.
Having previously stayed in the Russel Sq area I find this hotel much better quality. The breakfast room was very nicely presented and very good service. Unlike some other hotels which sometimes look like Kings Cross in the rush hour.
The bar and loundge area I also used when arriving back at tea time to catch up on emails and also in the evening. Prices more what I would expect but the area and staff are very nice and very helpful.
The pool and sauna facilities I would have looked to hav had the time to experience but sadly did not have the time.
Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice Hotel in London.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GibbonOnline
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I needed an overnight room near the Royal Albert Hall and, after a long search found this hotel at what I considered to be a sensible price (£75 a night). To be honest this was really the first decent looking hotel I had found in the right price range, most of the others listed on-line (particularly in the Bayswater area) looked like little more than doss houses/flophouses.

The hotel is very impressive if a bit like a rabbit warren, you have to concentrate on basic landmarks to avoid getting lost inside.

My room was a proper single including a full bathroom (with plenty of hot water), a wardrobe, desk - everything you get in a normal size room just a bit smaller. A lot of places I had to stay in before had singles that look like converted closets but this was purpose-built. It was clean, in good state of decoration, at the end of a corridor so fairly quiet (more on that later), the heating/ventilation system worked. The room also passed three important tests - very little light came in from the corridor round the door, the whole ventilation system could be shut down at night and the windows opened. Got no complaints here.

I used it as a base so bought food and drinks outside - I'm not saying the hotel food and drink is poor value just that paying £13 for breakfast is outside my budget. There's a great M&S (Marks & Spencer) just next to High Street Kensington Tube Station (under 2 minutes walk away) if you want good snack food and wine or something else to drink. I also think you'll find just about anything else you could need within a short walk. The local Thai restaurant was advertising meals for under £10. The location would be ideal for exploring London except that the nearest tube station is on the Circle Line, which to me rates with the Northern Line as the worst in the system. Do not be surprised to find Tube services shut down over weekends for engineering work or severely delayed during the week by things like signal failures but there is also a very good bus service along Kensington High Street. You are also within realistic walking (the streets are very safe day and night, just be sensible) distance of significant landmarks like Buckingham Palace and the major museums.

Unfortunately, after a great start and a great concert at the RAH (just over 10 minutes walk away) things sort of fell apart. I got to sleep but just before 1am was woken by someone very enthusiastically dumping glass into a recycling container right below the room. I got back to sleep and had a repeat performance at 2:45am - this is just sloppy management and it simply needs to be stopped. I had the windows closed and the noise was still loud enough to wake the dead, the staff members doing the work clearly felt that if they had to be up at that hour everyone else around should be - not acceptable. There was also a problem when I checked out because although the lady dealing with it was very friendly she didn't speak English well enough to understand that I wanted to actually see the credit card imprint they took the day before cancelled - if anything gets charged to it 'I will be back'.

On a general note if you are from possibly the USA and looking at London for a vacation I have to say that (as someone born in London but who hasn't lived there since the late 1960s) it looks like very good value to me right now. You can ride the Tube anywhere for just £7.70 (US$11) a day, I did a cruise down the Thames for £4 (US$6) on the Clipper service that runs every 15 minutes from the London Eye (big boats with coffee and snacks to buy on board) and I was just very pleased to get around the city again without spending too much money. In all I easily got change out of £20 for a day out with a snack lunch. Just don't sucked into any of the very organised tourist stuff - get a guide book, get a Tube map, go explore and enjoy my home town.

Room Tip: I'd suggest that if you get allocated a room that isn't what you expected - complain. I met...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo