Worst stay in the whole month – also the priciest.
We have been travelling for the whole month of November and half month of December and decided to stay at the Corus hotel based on a recommendation from my brother. It was the WORST decision ever. This was also our priciest hotel of our entire one month stay and trust me, it was not worth 1/6th of the price. The hotel knows that this review is coming and offered me an incentive for a discount “the next time I stay”, which I don’t think is the fairest way to deal with this as a discount right away to make up for ALL of the troubles would have been fairer.
1. The heater in our room did not work since we checked in. It was around 2 p.m. that we checked in. I reported this at 3:30 p.m. At 4 p.m., the maintenance man comes up, looks at everything, and says he’ll be back. At 4:30 p.m., he comes back, declares the problem “unfixable” and goes away. We clearly told him to bring a portable heater in the room, but he didn’t care. We went for dinner, came back and hit the bed as we were extremely tired. The coldness bothered us a lot as we live in 40 degrees Celsius as a norm, but under our blankets, we were a little ok.
2. The next day at 10 a.m., I report down to receptionist 1 to come fix the problem. 30 minutes later, no one arrived, I called down again, and receptionist 2 picked up and said he’ll be here soon. 30 minutes more passed and I called down and now receptionist number 3 picked up the phone and said he will be here in 10 minutes. I was extremely polite & clear at ALL times that I will give him the last 10 minutes now to fix this problem or I am making my way down to let everyone know how unhappy I am. 30 more minutes passed and guess what? Nothing was done. I walked down, met the receptionist who promised me 10 minutes and his answer? “I have informed maintenance, they should be there already!”. I looked at him and told him “would I be down here if they have come? Seriously?”. After 24 hours and STILL this problem is not fixed and calling the receptionist 3 times and STILL nothing. Finally I had to ask to speak to the operations manager who had to step in, profusely apologize (but apologies do nothing as we just want the problem fixed). He made his way up and got us the portable heater. After 24 hours. Unbelievable service.
3. The next morning at 8 a.m. the fire alarm went off. Panic was caused in the whole hotel, we woke up and followed the cue. It was tough. Turns out it was a false alarm. I know this wasn’t or isn’t the hotel’s fault, but I bring this up for another reason. Obviously when the alarm has rang and woken up the whole hotel, everyone will be down for breakfast. We too went down and the line of the breakfast was a good 15-20 minute line – NO kidding, see picture attached. I was down at 9:30 p.m. and had to wait 20 minutes and when I reached the front of the line, the last guy at the back was definitely waiting another 20 minutes and so on and so forth. I asked the breakfast lady and the receptionist if they would extend the breakfast due to the issue caused this morning so that I could go back, get ready, and then come have breakfast later – and their answer was “No – there is no need to”. SERIOUSLY? You have people waiting in 20 minutes lines during their holiday for breakfast? What kind of service is this? I feel bad for any customers who came down at 10:15 expecting to get to eat, but having to wait over 20 minutes to eat, so breakfast would be shut.
4. Lastly, I had some guests come see me at the hotel (8 people in total), and to the last guy, our favorite receptionist told him “this guy does not stay here”. Seriously? And for the past 7 guys, who gave the same name, how did you find us?
5. The hotel charges an unbelievable amount for calls in London. DO NOT make a call. It would be
cheaper for you to call Asia from London, talk for 1 hour then to make a local call for 3 minutes.
The guest relations manager tried her best to convince me that I had a bad stay and that I should be back to retry for the “better” corus experience. Honestly – I may still give you that chance, as long as that discount you promised me is as good as you said it will be
Overall though – an unbelievably bad stay. For 200 pounds, you expect nothing but the best.
I want to bring up note though that both the guest relations manager & the front desk (Suresh or surab or something) did try their best to fix the situation, but some things were just not fixable anymore and I appreciate your help in trying to fix everything. You just need to have a better team to be as good as you say you are. One person does not run the show alone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Corus Hyde Park is a 4 star, 389 air conditioned bedroom hotel for business and leisure guests and is in a spacious location overlooking Hyde Park. Corus is 50 metres from Lancaster Gate tube on the central line, only 8 minutes walk to Paddington station and the Heathrow Express and 15 minutes walk to Oxford Street, Kensington, Notting Hill, Albert Hall and so close to all the major attractions including the new Westfield shopping centre and the Paddington Basin. The hotel features 4 meeting rooms up to 90 guests, free powerful WiFi in all areas, a fitness studio, large air conditioned lounge with an all day menu. The hotel has three restaurant concepts - seasonal and quality British dishes, an authentic Malaysian menu and Bel Canto Opera dining where opera students act as waiters and sing a wide range of Operatic classics whilst you dine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Corus Hotel Hyde Park London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Corus Hotel London
- Corus Hyde Park Hotel
- Corus Hotel Hyde Park London England