“Terrible terrible stay. Unbelievably bad service and very pricey.”

Corus Hotel Hyde Park London
Ranked #493 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Worst stay in the whole month – also the priciest.

We have been travelling for the whole month of November and half month of December and decided to stay at the Corus hotel based on a recommendation from my brother. It was the WORST decision ever. This was also our priciest hotel of our entire one month stay and trust me, it was not worth 1/6th of the price. The hotel knows that this review is coming and offered me an incentive for a discount “the next time I stay”, which I don’t think is the fairest way to deal with this as a discount right away to make up for ALL of the troubles would have been fairer.

My issues:
1. The heater in our room did not work since we checked in. It was around 2 p.m. that we checked in. I reported this at 3:30 p.m. At 4 p.m., the maintenance man comes up, looks at everything, and says he’ll be back. At 4:30 p.m., he comes back, declares the problem “unfixable” and goes away. We clearly told him to bring a portable heater in the room, but he didn’t care. We went for dinner, came back and hit the bed as we were extremely tired. The coldness bothered us a lot as we live in 40 degrees Celsius as a norm, but under our blankets, we were a little ok.
2. The next day at 10 a.m., I report down to receptionist 1 to come fix the problem. 30 minutes later, no one arrived, I called down again, and receptionist 2 picked up and said he’ll be here soon. 30 minutes more passed and I called down and now receptionist number 3 picked up the phone and said he will be here in 10 minutes. I was extremely polite & clear at ALL times that I will give him the last 10 minutes now to fix this problem or I am making my way down to let everyone know how unhappy I am. 30 more minutes passed and guess what? Nothing was done. I walked down, met the receptionist who promised me 10 minutes and his answer? “I have informed maintenance, they should be there already!”. I looked at him and told him “would I be down here if they have come? Seriously?”. After 24 hours and STILL this problem is not fixed and calling the receptionist 3 times and STILL nothing. Finally I had to ask to speak to the operations manager who had to step in, profusely apologize (but apologies do nothing as we just want the problem fixed). He made his way up and got us the portable heater. After 24 hours. Unbelievable service.
3. The next morning at 8 a.m. the fire alarm went off. Panic was caused in the whole hotel, we woke up and followed the cue. It was tough. Turns out it was a false alarm. I know this wasn’t or isn’t the hotel’s fault, but I bring this up for another reason. Obviously when the alarm has rang and woken up the whole hotel, everyone will be down for breakfast. We too went down and the line of the breakfast was a good 15-20 minute line – NO kidding, see picture attached. I was down at 9:30 p.m. and had to wait 20 minutes and when I reached the front of the line, the last guy at the back was definitely waiting another 20 minutes and so on and so forth. I asked the breakfast lady and the receptionist if they would extend the breakfast due to the issue caused this morning so that I could go back, get ready, and then come have breakfast later – and their answer was “No – there is no need to”. SERIOUSLY? You have people waiting in 20 minutes lines during their holiday for breakfast? What kind of service is this? I feel bad for any customers who came down at 10:15 expecting to get to eat, but having to wait over 20 minutes to eat, so breakfast would be shut.
4. Lastly, I had some guests come see me at the hotel (8 people in total), and to the last guy, our favorite receptionist told him “this guy does not stay here”. Seriously? And for the past 7 guys, who gave the same name, how did you find us?
5. The hotel charges an unbelievable amount for calls in London. DO NOT make a call. It would be
cheaper for you to call Asia from London, talk for 1 hour then to make a local call for 3 minutes.

The guest relations manager tried her best to convince me that I had a bad stay and that I should be back to retry for the “better” corus experience. Honestly – I may still give you that chance, as long as that discount you promised me is as good as you said it will be

Overall though – an unbelievably bad stay. For 200 pounds, you expect nothing but the best.

I want to bring up note though that both the guest relations manager & the front desk (Suresh or surab or something) did try their best to fix the situation, but some things were just not fixable anymore and I appreciate your help in trying to fix everything. You just need to have a better team to be as good as you say you are. One person does not run the show alone.

2  Thank Avidtravellerbkk
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I have read your email and am disappointed that there were some service issues with front desk and maintenance.
These issues are regrettable and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies disappointment that was caused and for the manner in which the situations were handled by the staff.
I’m glad that I had the opportunity to speak with you directly before you have left the hotel.
I am very sorry that your stay was marred in this way and I can assure that the issues you experienced are now resolved.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope I will be able to welcome you back to the Corus Hyde Park London in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,105)

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in a great location,room was clean and served its purpose,breakfast was superb and very tasty.The friends who we stayed there with and ourselves would use this hotel again.Also the staff were very pleasant and helpful.Thankyou to all of you.

1  Thank Iriemon888
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Corus Hyde Park Hotel London.
Our central location is ideal for those who are visiting on business as well as for those who are here to explore London for leisure.
I am glad to read that our enjoyed the hotel’s location, food offerings and the helpful service of our team.
I shall pass on your kind words to our team and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Overall a lovely hotel and very central for all the London sights. We were allocated a 5th floor room (527) but was in the "eves" of what looked like an extension. We had a sloped wall that ran from the bedroom to the bathroom. The bathroom wall over the bath where the shower head was situated was a very tight fit. health & safety was a theme here as the sloping wall had a safety bar bolted on but right at arm/shoulder height. Trying to shower with a tilt was very tricky and the shower curtain sticking to your wet body made the whole experience very claustrophobic. I'm glad we are youngish and fit and able to climb the 2ft into the bath for the shower experience. Elderly persons would find this very undoable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill F

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that you have found your bathroom a bit small.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard.
I do hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We booked a night here through Travel Zoo! Bottle of wine, bed & breakfast for £79!!!
Reading previous reviews we were expecting a small room, but no, our double rooms were spacious , good size bathroom with All amenities.
We had breakfast in the conservatory overlooking Hyde Park, it was all very good.
Tube stop 5 mins walk & taxi rank outside Hotel.
Had a fab 2 days sightseeing &would recommend this hotel for a short break in London.
Only negative point would be the double glazing in bedrooms was poor, traffic noise could be heard through the night & we were on floor 10!!

1  Thank jane53England
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review of Corus Hyde Park Hotel London.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and food offerings.
The delivery of great customer care is very important to us and is something that we work at daily to ensure we are continually striving for improvements.
Please be assured that I have passed on your feedback regarding the windows to the relevant team.
I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel after seeing it on previous trips to London. I had hoped for better but it turns out to be typical of the "tourist" hotels in the area. I booked a standard room and it was fine, with a double bed, adequate hanging space for clothes but no drawer storage area for folding clothes. Also, it would be really crowded with more than one person. The sad part of the room was the bathroom which was in good condition but the size of one you would find on a caraven (motorhome). There was no counter space and the sink was like a toy size. The shower stall was barely big enough for me to enter, but just. I wish designers and architects would live in these before they push them on the paying public. The hotel does offer WI-FI throughout but the signal strength is slow so don't expect high speed browzing.

Room Tip: Don't book and economy room or a standard room. They must have something better but I did not s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that you have found your bathroom a bit small.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard and will try to change them in a different way.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope I’m able to welcome you back to the Corus Hyde Park London in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I booked through the deal with Travelzoo and was very impressed by the hotel and it's facilities. We asked about the upgrade on check in but were told that as the hotel was full this wasn't possible. However, we found the room (814)more than big enough for us and very comfortable, the free bottle of wine was sent up along with a couple of glasses not long afterwards.
All staff were very pleasant and attentive and an excellent buffet breakfast with anything you could want, we were seated straight away and as someone said, NOT in the basement but the downstairs restaurant.!
The location was perfect for us as we were going to a show in the West End on Wednesday and tennis at the Albert Hall on Thursday, both a nice walk away, or even faster by tube.
Would we stay here again - definitely.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay and once again we had a great time. Our room was however the smallest we have ever stayed in at The Corus but it was still comfortable. Customer service excellent. All staff friendly & attentive. Breakfast was very good as usual.
My only complaint is that we had travelled with friends this trip & checked in at 2.30pm to find their room was not ready. A bit annoying but they left their bags in our room & we headed for the lovely pub next door for a late lunch....
Great value stay thanks to Travelzoo. We will be back....

• Stayed: December 2012
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I’m glad that we were able to meet your expectations during your mini break with us.
Thank you for your warm and kind word.
I do hope to welcome you back again very soon.