“Average Hotel”

Ranked #518 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Average Hotel”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Clean, tidy and friendly reception. breakfast as norm with most London hotels poor and foreign staff unable to comprehend our language, toast arrived late and only when asked twice. We can understand that hotel like these are always offering rooms with discount and a free bottle of warm wine and only after several phone calls to the housekeeper enquiring of it's whereabouts. The wine came at 7 pm just before we were due go out for our evening meal. The pub next door was better value. Would we stay at this hotel again? Yes, simply for it's convenience for the tube and for the same offer, but with the wine chilled and waiting in our room on arrival.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Kim,

Thank you for your feedback, which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our service.
It is a shame that you have left the hotel disappointed with your experience at breakfast.
I am following up with my team to ensure that we are providing our guests with a very high standard at all times.
I am very sorry that your stay was marred in this way and I can assure that the issues you were experiencing are now resolved.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Corus Hyde Park London in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed the from 19th Oct for 2 nights for my wife's birthday.
Arrived early (11 ish) and room wasn't ready but the concierge kindly offered to store our luggage until we could be checked in.Off to Oxford Street we went.
We checked in at 2.30pm and were given the keycard to our upgraded exec room on the 10th floor.
Granted this was no Ritz but for £158 (travelzoo promo) it was excellent. All this negativity about the rooms being too small is absolute garbage.
There was a lovely bottle of red wine and 2 glasses in the room.
It had a large flat screen TV with all the channels you needed as well as free WIFI which was certainly fast enough for me...
The bathroom was a good size with large bath and plenty of complimentary goodies
Breakfast on both mornings was superb and had everything you could want.
The rooms were cleaned both mornings and the staff overall were extremely helpful.
And to top it all off it was in a fantastic loction 3 min walk to Lancaster Gate tube
How any one could find fault with this hotel is beyond me as we certainly could NOT !!!!!!!!!
I will definately be returning and would like to thank everyone for making it a birthday to remember.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 10th floor if you get upgraded to an executive room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your wife birthday and that our team at Corus Hyde Park Hotel London was friendly and attentive.
Such a memorable day deserves to be recognized and I was pleased to read your feedback about our bedrooms, breakfast and service.
The delivery of great customer care is very important to us and is something that we work at daily to ensure we are continually striving for improvements.
I hope you will return to the hotel soon.

Hetton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed four nights at this hotel and really enjoyed the experience. We took advantage of Corus' special offer rate, so it was a real bonus. The only thing I would criticise is the lack of clothes hanging space in the room, also the lack of drawer space. At breakfast the only thing to criticise was the over salty bacon. On the positive side was the clean cut modern room with comfortable bed and excellent housekeeping. At breakfast there was a warm welcome from all staff and the food was abundant and excellent quality. The hotel is at an excellent location for visiting lots of attractions. There are excellent transport links close to hand. My wife and I travelled everywhere by bus as we had our bus passes with us. Bus journeys were easily worked out by studying the route information posted at each stop. So, thankyou very much indeed Corus Hotel for a more than pleasant four night stay in London and I expect to revisit soon, and will be keeping a look out for those special deals.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Corus Hyde Park Hotel London.
I am glad to read that our enjoyed the hotel’s location, food offerings and the helpful service of our team.
Our central location is ideal for those who are visiting on business as well as for those who are here to explore London for leisure.
I shall pass on your kind words to our team and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Huddersfield
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Complimentary bottle of wine on arrival, check in very efficient. Room was comfortable and clean, service and breakfast excellent. Location great 3 nmins walking from tube, nice pub opposite Hyde Park - just great for the perfect weekend away. Will definitely book again and recommend - thank you so much for a very enjoyable stay.
Chirs and Yvonne, Huddersfield

Room Tip: Tenth floor, quiet, no noise......enjoyed a good nights sleep ... however make sure not booked at si...
1 Thank YvonneCrossley
Dear Chris and Yvonne,

I’m glad that we were able to meet your expectations during your mini break with us and that you found everything was ‘wonderful’! We pride ourselves in offering our guests a high quality product with personable service and it is great to see that you enjoyed it.
I’m pleased you were satisfied with all our services and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Birmingham
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is located 3 mins walk from Lancaster Gate tube station and is opposite Hyde Park, the location is unbeatable, we took a walk to Marble Arch which took us no longer than 10 minutes and was very scenic.

The rooms are very compact, the first room we were allocated was very old and dark, however upon request to reception we were promptly changed to a new roon, although the new room was the same size as other, i.e. small. It was clear this room on 7th floor had been refurbished and was much more comfortable with good lighting.

The breakfast which was included in the room price was very good, althpugh the restuarnat is small which often means long queues for breakfast. Once past the queue, the staff were great and very efficient, the choice was plentiful and i left the hotel without a need to eat until dinner.

Overall i would stay at this hotel again, the only downside being the room size, however after room was changed, even though still small was better and more than acceptable..

Room Tip: If provided with a dark room ask to be changed, we went from 5th floor to 7th which was much better.
1 Thank Av1984_Traveller
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review.
Im delighted to hear that our staff took care of you and that you liked the decor and cleanliness of the hotel.
It was fantastic to see that you were able to take advantage of our promotional breakfast upgrade and that you found the quality of your hot choices superb.
I am sorry to hear that you have found your room a bit small.
Our room’s sizes are in line with any 4 and 5 start hotel in London.

Coleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We booked to stay here for a treat for my partners birthday. We arrived at the hotel about 4pm and told that the room wasn't ready, which I thought was bad as it was well after checking time. We had to wait for the girl to call different people to see if a room was ready, after 10mins we got one. We didn't get an apology for the wait either. We where not asked if we wanted a wake up call or even a newspaper or even if we wanted to dine in one if there restaurants, which I found strange as its these things that up sell. The room was clean and tidy, but the bed needs to be situated better as it was against the wall, so nowhere to put a cup unless you lean across each other. The room was far to hot, we tried to turn the radiator down but didn't work. You coulda have the air con on but not good when you want to sleep. The breakfast was not that good either, the choice is good though, but on all 3 mornings we had to wait for glasses, plates and also for them to top up the hot buffet. I asked for toast which when it finally arrived at the table was more like warm bread, I couldn't be bothered to ask for new to be done. Also watch out for the lifts, the worst I have had the miss fortune of using. You get in and think you are going down, you get so far and you go back to the top. We got out a few times and walked down it also doesn't help when you have staff using them to get cleaning and laundry up to floors, surely they have a service lift for this.

Plus point is its a great location and is very clean, but not sure I would return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience.
Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am truly sorry for the trouble caused during your last stay.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard and will pass it to my team.
I can assure that the issues you were experiencing are now resolved.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I purchased a travel zoo deal which I booked about 10 wks in advance of our stay. We stayed on Sat 20th October in a twin room. We arrived at 11am and were quite surprised to find that a room was available for us....but no upgrade which did not come as a shock to me as I wasn't expecting this. The check in was quick...they asked me for my credit card and I thought took payment at the time....however on checkout did this again...so I am just hoping that I will not be charged twice!! The lifts are quite a challenge in themselves....take ages to arrive and then are often packed so cannot use. We were only on the 4th floor and as reception/street level was the 2nd it was not too much of a problem using the stairs...although even some of the staff when asked did not know where the stairs were...bit worrying really!! The room was very small and the window had internal wooden shutters which left only a tiny amount of window on show...bit claustrophobic but as no view at all this was probably a bonus!! There was plenty of tea/coffee and when we asked for more tea bags that evening it was no problem at all. The bathroom was very small but did have a bath/shower with mini handbasin and toiletries. There is a hairdryer in the main bedroom with a huge mirror over the desk. There is a safe in the room which appeared to be free to use. There is limited hanging space...if you stayed for longer than 1 night you would struggle where to hang your clothes and no drawer space so smaller items had to be left in our bags. It was very hot and the air con did not appear to work so we had to have the window open at all times. We had breakfast at the hotel - plenty of choice with juices/croissants/french bread/pastries/full english/cereal/fresh fruit/yogurt...in fact plenty to choose from. We were in the downstairs which seemed a bit claustrophobic as no windows....toast and tea/coffee is ordered from the staff...ours did come fairly quickly but the waitress did seem a bit bored with what she was doing!! Food was hot and tasty. The hotel is easy to find...turn right as you come out of Lancaster tube and cross the road and the hotel is just down a side road -you go past a shop and pub ...only a few minutes. You can also get the 148 bus from stop G at Victoria railway station and it stops just across the road..takes about 10-15 mins depending on traffic. Hyde Park is just across the road and you can spend hours there...we were trying to get to Harrods but spent over 2 hours in the park...should have been about a 15 min walk!! Location is good..and if you can get a deal it was well worth the £79 b&b rate we paid and we received a free bottle of wine in the room....excellent value for London but don't expect luxury.

Room Tip: Would probably suggesting upgrading the basic room if you are staying more than one night
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank neopuss
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to hear that you have had a most enjoyable experience at Corus Hyde Park Hotel London as we have provided you with high level of services.
Our central yet quiet location is also one of our assets.
I am thankful to your words of praise regarding breakfast.
As a matter of fact we only serve the fresh seasonal products on the market.
People can tell it!
I’m looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.