“Decent, but not amazing”
Review of London Town Hotel

London Town Hotel
Ranked #536 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Georgia
“Decent, but not amazing”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of June. We arrived late in the day (the last ones to check in!), and our room was right next to reception. The staff were friendly when we checked in. The room had very thin walls and we could perfectly hear the conversations of the people in the room next to us. The room was very clean and very tiny, but enough space for what anyone would need honestly! There was a super clean bathroom and shower with complimentary soap and shampoo. There was also a small safe in the room and extra blankets in the closet.

The room was hot and there was no temperature control in the room, so we left the window open at night. There was a room right across from us (not a hallway, though, through a tiny open air area - kind of hard to explain), so we were also able to hear their conversations. We had to leave our key at the desk when we left, but they were always nice about remembering us when we came back. The night staff was vigilant about keeping track of who was in the hotel - all visitors had to check in with them or they got on to them - it was nice.

Upstairs there was an area with local information and complimentary coffee through most of the day. I did not have their breakfast.

Overall, it was tiny and hot and a little old, but it worked for what we needed!

4 Thank amystar137

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights over the past 6 weeks and was very impressed that the staff remembered me when I returned after a month. Rooms are small, but clean and great location for public transport. Staff are very helpful and welcoming. Complaint re smoking in the next room was dealt with promptly.

Room Tip: Street noise was quite loud on Friday and Saturday nights for rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jan S
LondonTownHotel, Manager at London Town Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Jan S , Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the London Town Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed for four nights recently and I loved the location, easy access to the airport and all major attractions, room wasn't too bad a size and the staff were friendly and very helpful. Have I stayed in more luxurious places, yes but you get what you pay for and I wasn't disappointed and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jacqui M
Dear Jacqui M, Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the London Town Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Manager
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I commute down from Chester to London for work 3 days every fortnight, where I work long hours and just want a quiet, comfortable & preferably friendly place to get my head down. Earls Court is perfect for me because it's a pleasant 2.5 mile walk to our office in Victoria and right on a bus route, and there are lots of better-priced small hotels.
First impressions weren't good. I arrived at 10.30pm to a disinterested welcome and a tired, musty-smelling reception. Having asked for a quiet room, I was then disappointed to find I had the room next to reception and the main entrance overlooking the street at ground level - but, as my wife would say, that's what you get for turning up so late!
The room was also tiny, although I know that this is normal in this area for a single at "just" £75 a night! And at least it was clean and the bed comfortable, with a very clean & perfectly functional en-suite shower room.
In the morning, breakfast was a perfectly adequate continental with choice of cereals, fruit juices, fresh toast & coffee, boiled eggs & sliced cheese, and a croissant that could have been fresher!
Service was again disinterested although efficient.
I hope I won't be back, but I know what to expect next time if the price is right!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank westie13
Dear Westie13,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry that you did not feel welcome by our night staff upon check in. I will review the matter with the gentleman on duty.
I hope you do decide to stay with us again so that we can meet your expectations.
Kind regards,
Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

An old victorian town house, we stayed for 6 nights, my girl friend and I we had a lovely, relaxing stay there, all the staff we encountered were welcoming, friendly and attentive from checking-in to the moment we left.
The room was clean and tidy and very comfortable, breakfast was quite good (not cooked though). Some refreshing of decorations required but not an issue.
We recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: We stayed in room 504
1 Thank Gassem
Dear Gassem, Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the London Town Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Manager
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

London Town hotel is the worst and the most overpriced hotel that I have ever stayed in. It felt more like a hostel than a 2 stars hotel.
A toilet in my room didn't flush properly – you had to pull it ca 20 times each time you used it, to make it flush. When I complained about it, I got a response from the reception girls that "there is no problem at all. We had the men to check it out and they said it was OK, considering it was a very old building." I found their response insulting, like they were implying that I was imagining problems. The problems with the toilet flush continued for days, until I asked for another room.
In another room they offered me, the toilet flush worked, but there was a curious notice from the manager on the bathroom wall, saying: "Important warning. Please make sure that the shower curtain is in its tracks all the time." I examined the shower curtain closely and it looked fine, so I moved to that room. I discovered what was wrong with the shower cabin the very first time I tried to take a shower. The shower was fixed to the wall at such an angle that when you turned on the water and tried to fix the right temperature, the water sprayed right onto you, standing in front of the shower cabin, and on the toilet seat behind you. I guess the idea of the manager who put that notice on the wall was that a guest should enter the shower cabin, close the shower curtain, and then wait and endure a few minutes of cold water running over him/her, until it warms up. How very considerate and kind advice, thank you very much, manager, but I don't think so.
Then there was no hot milk available for my breakfast cereals for a couple of days, because the microwave in hotel's kitchen didn't work.
Then I found a hole in the towel I was using, as well as a long black hair (I am blonde), and it all made me feel very sick.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LightSvj
, Manager at London Town Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear LightSvj,
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. In response to your comments:
The toilet flush in your room was checked twice by maintenance who found it on both occasions to be in working order. I have asked the ladies at the reception and they have informed me that they went to your room and flushed it first time with no issues in your presence. It seems you were embarrassed by this and as a result demanded to change rooms. My staff did change your room and you were asked to check the second room was to your satisfaction before changing.
With regards to the shower, you could easily have turned the shower on and waited until it reached the desired temperature before stepping in. I do not understand why you did not do this?
We did experience a problem with the microwave on one morning during your stay. However, my staff informed you that they were heating the milk up on the stove but you chose not to wait for it. Please advise what more you expected them to do?
You did not inform us about any defect with your towel nor did you ask for a replacement. Without seeing the towel I am unable to raise the issue with my laundry company.
With all of your complaints you still stayed with us for 6 continuous nights and when asked upon check out if you enjoyed your stay, you said yes and did not mention any of the issues you have chosen to list in your review.
Regards,
Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Having read some of the previous reviews for this accommodation we were a little worried what we would find when we arrived in London. We were very pleased with the hotel and our room.

Location at Earls Court is excellent - close to the Underground (90 seconds) food and shops. Earls Court is close to the major attractions and only about 15 minutes to the center of London.

Our room was clean, quiet, well serviced each day, and the size was fine - bigger than we were expecting. There was room for our cases as well as leaving room to move around. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean and crisp. Clean towels everyday. The shower was hot but the pressure very weak.

The desk staff were efficient, pleasant and helpful (especially the African man in the afternoons and evenings). There is a lift which services all floors. We were happy with the continental breakfast - choice of 3 cereals, yogurt, cheese, toast, spreads, tea/coffee, tinned fruit, croissant, and boiled eggs. The only thing I felt could be improved was the croissants are served cold. A choice of wholemeal for the toast would also be nice. Toast is bought out as soon as you enter the dining room and was often cold and dry by the time you got to eating it.

There is a lounge room on the 1st floor which supply tea/coffee all day and is available for entertaining in. Free WiFi is provided. Bags can be left on day of departure for a charge of 1 pound which is very helpful.

The overall decor of the hotel is a little dated and worn but did not detract from our stay. We knew we weren't paying for 5 stars. We were very happy with this hotel. It was good value for money and we would highly recommend it to others. If we went to London we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the property on the second floor. We found this a very quiet location. T...
1 Thank Jennywren3
Dear Jennywren3, Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the London Town Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Manager