“Absolutely loved the London Marriott County Hall”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #164 of 1,069 Hotels in London
A TripAdvisor Member
“Absolutely loved the London Marriott County Hall”
Reviewed August 5, 2005

I stayed at the Marriott County Hall for about a week, and I thought the hotel was gorgeous, our room was spacious, and the service exceeded my expectations. I was staying at this hotel on July 7th, 2005 when the bombings took place. The hotel staff immediately put extra security measures in place, but they did not make me feel unsafe or uncomfortable. For about two days they checked our shopping bags and purses when we came in, but they were very nice and professional about the whole situation. The hotel is in such a great location. The tube stop Westminster was a few minutes walk across the bridge and you could see Big Ben and Houses of Parliament from the hotel. I would recommend the Marriott County Hall to anyone looking for a fabulous hotel in London!

• Stayed July 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
new haven, connecticut
Reviewed August 1, 2005

My wife and I took our 9-year old son to London this July and stayed in a river-view suite at the County Hall. We have been to London several times, and would certainly stay here again. The room was on the 5th-floor with a balcony that provided an excellent view over the Thames of Parliament, Whitehall, Embankment, and other sites. When the windows were closed there was no noise, and the air-conditioning worked fine. The room was very large with two bath areas, however, I was a little disappointed that some of the lower wallpaper was ripped (one day I encountered a workman in the hallway with wallpaper and he told me that he was patching rips, so they are taking care of things). The hotel decor is very "British" with lots of wood and brass. The Library overlooks the Thames also, and serves tea. Our son loved reading some of his new Harry Potter book in this area. The London Eye is right outside the hotel, as is a London tour bus stop. Our stay was during the time of the 2nd bombing scare, yet the staff was helpful and polite. We had one meal at the hotel. The food was very good, and our son enjoyed the kids' pizza. The hotel was expensive, especially considering the exchange rate, but worth the cost. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank CoClare
Seattle
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Fabulous location within easy walking distance to Waterloo station (Eurostar) and Westminster Abbey and Parliament. Gazing at Big Ben at midnight through our window was amazing! Spacious room, immaculate with great service. Staff graciously stored a friend's luggage while he visited us. Small complaints: long, long walk to our room from the elevator; County Hall building is very big, and the distance seemed never-ending after a day of sightseeing. And, as other reviewers have noted, some of the hallway carpeting is musty, which was odd & annoying considering the hotel rating.

3 Thank canyoncreekfalls
L.A.
Reviewed July 4, 2005

This hotel is in a great location. We returned from a week vacation in London. The Marriott room that we had was very large with a king bed. My in-laws were next door to us and had a much smaller room. how we lucked out I'm not sure! Room was cleaned every day and had turn down service at night. Desk staff was helpful in answering questions regarding our vacation.

The central location of this hotel was great! Westminster tube station was a short walk across the bridge. Bus tour stop was right outside the hotel.

14 Thank smolstre
Utah
Reviewed June 29, 2005

This was a very interesting hotel - not like other Marriotts we have stayed in for 5 nights. It is VERY LARGE and is built in the old County Hall - which is to say that after you get in the building you have to WALK to your room....a long ways if you are unlucky as we were. The views are beautiful as you overlook the river Thames and the London Eye and Big Ben. The best thing about this hotel is the location (and the internet acess in the room - which helped my husband stay connected to work). I was a little disappointed with the upkeep of the carpeting....it just felt old....like it needed to be redone. We got a crib for our 10 month old and it was just a port a crib and dirty! It had stains on the sides and was very gross. Rooms were on the larger side for europe but again...just overall a dissapointment. The best thing this hotel has going for them is location.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank LBUtah
Reviewed June 20, 2005

What a shame, London. I am a Elite member of Marriott for years... not once have I experienced something as bad as this anywhere Marriott worldwide.
The finger pointing, to start with, between the front desk staff and the housekeeping manager when someone from the hotel trashed my dental retainer (yes, I gave specific instructions NOT TO CLEAN my bathroom over the phone to the front desk staff). Yet on return to my room in the evening, my dental retainer was gone! Please understand this is a non-replaceable item on my two-week trip in UK.
The rudeness of the housekeeping manager does not have anything to do with the "Marriott Way". The housekeeping manager came to my room to witness what her staff did. Yes, someone CLEANED the bathroom and TRASHED my dental retainer. Out of frustration, she yelled at her hotel guest saying "What do you want me to do? I apologized already"
Stephanie, the manager on duty with whom I spoke with multiple times, at least showed sympathy on the situation and promised to get back with me.
Alas, Stephanie, your Senior Guest Relations Manager, Miss Teddi did not agree. Teddi Medley wrote back and said, "...but unfortunately the
hotel is not liable for your missing retainer. We thank you for your valued patronage though."
I learned to lock up my dental retainer in the safe the next time I go to a Marriott, when and IF I ever go back to London Marriott Hotel County Hall!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

The location of this hotel is quite convenient and we could see Big Ben from our window. The staff is exceedingly helpful and friendly, the rooms are beautiful with very comfortable beds, and the public areas are charming with gorgeous wooden details. We felt quite at home at this hotel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member