Just returned from a stay over Valentines Weekend
I found staff before my stay particularly helpful in arranging an upgrade for my booked room and suggesting/offering other amenities. This experience led me me to expect great things from the hotel in regards to their service.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the doorman who helpfully pointed us in the direction of the reception. I found the reception check in process simple & easy albeit a little slow and somewhat confused that I was not asked anything I assumed was standard from previous Marriotts regarding newspapers, wake up calls etc. We were a little early to the hotel and were told we could wait in the executive lounge and in approximately 15 minutes our room would be ready with someone coming to let us know.
We went to the executive lounge and relaxed with a beverage, this however is where our experience became a little sour, we waited past the allotted time assuming perhaps the room was still being prepared. After waiting over the double the time I asked a member of staff to inquire as to the status of my room, to which I was then told it was ready and I can collect my keys from reception. (I note there was also another lady in the lounge with us who had the same issue!) A little stressed we then had to wait in a intolerably slow moving queue to be served by the same receptionist who told us our room was in fact ready after the stated time and didn't quite seem to understand why we were annoyed stating that 'it's standard procedure', the wait I can somewhat appreciate as the hotel was inevitable busy, the poor communication however I cannot!
We then retreated to our room grateful for a chance to refresh after an early start. The room was spacious, bed was the best Marriott bed I have slept in and views of the river and Big Ben were stunning, particularly in the evening. Rose petals and swans were a very nice touch on the bed and relieved some of the stress caused from the earlier incident.
We went into the executive lounge for canapés and a drink before dinner. They were good although there was a limited selection, however that is to be expected. Complimentary wine/beer was a plus and the lounge had a good atmosphere.The hotel is in a great location which means you can take a walk to a wide range of restaurants, both at South Bank and across the river.
Upon arriving back in the evening we found a lovely bouquet flowers from Rebecca who I believe is head of guest relations, however there was no turn down service, which I was somewhat confused about as I believe it's a requirement for a 5 star hotel to have one, and have had one at every other 5 star property I've stayed in with Marriott
The hotel then arranged for the upgrade supplement I paid to be refunded and noted a late checkout time on my account. I think a sufficient gesture, however I would of preferred for it to be right first time rather than the monetary gesture.
The breakfast was great and had a good selection of juices, fruit, pastries and the like.
It was difficult to know what to rate the hotel because the room & bed were superb as were the vast majority of the staff but it only takes one bad experience to leave a slightly bitter taste, especially when booking for a special occasion. I would like to visit again, although I hold some reservations in doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Painted with a signature backdrop, the historic London Marriott Hotel County Hall offers proximity to our city's main attractions. With views of Big Ben, the banks of the River Thames and overlooked by the London Eye, landmarks are a short stroll away from the front doors of our hotel in London, England. Stay with us and hold your events here, as we feature distinctive venues that can accommodate every occasion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Marriott, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your London Marriott Hotel County Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott London County Hall Hotel London
- London Marriott Hotel County Hall England