“A somewhat mixed bag”

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“A somewhat mixed bag”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just returned from a stay over Valentines Weekend

I found staff before my stay particularly helpful in arranging an upgrade for my booked room and suggesting/offering other amenities. This experience led me me to expect great things from the hotel in regards to their service.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the doorman who helpfully pointed us in the direction of the reception. I found the reception check in process simple & easy albeit a little slow and somewhat confused that I was not asked anything I assumed was standard from previous Marriotts regarding newspapers, wake up calls etc. We were a little early to the hotel and were told we could wait in the executive lounge and in approximately 15 minutes our room would be ready with someone coming to let us know.

We went to the executive lounge and relaxed with a beverage, this however is where our experience became a little sour, we waited past the allotted time assuming perhaps the room was still being prepared. After waiting over the double the time I asked a member of staff to inquire as to the status of my room, to which I was then told it was ready and I can collect my keys from reception. (I note there was also another lady in the lounge with us who had the same issue!) A little stressed we then had to wait in a intolerably slow moving queue to be served by the same receptionist who told us our room was in fact ready after the stated time and didn't quite seem to understand why we were annoyed stating that 'it's standard procedure', the wait I can somewhat appreciate as the hotel was inevitable busy, the poor communication however I cannot!

We then retreated to our room grateful for a chance to refresh after an early start. The room was spacious, bed was the best Marriott bed I have slept in and views of the river and Big Ben were stunning, particularly in the evening. Rose petals and swans were a very nice touch on the bed and relieved some of the stress caused from the earlier incident.

We went into the executive lounge for canapés and a drink before dinner. They were good although there was a limited selection, however that is to be expected. Complimentary wine/beer was a plus and the lounge had a good atmosphere.The hotel is in a great location which means you can take a walk to a wide range of restaurants, both at South Bank and across the river.

Upon arriving back in the evening we found a lovely bouquet flowers from Rebecca who I believe is head of guest relations, however there was no turn down service, which I was somewhat confused about as I believe it's a requirement for a 5 star hotel to have one, and have had one at every other 5 star property I've stayed in with Marriott

The hotel then arranged for the upgrade supplement I paid to be refunded and noted a late checkout time on my account. I think a sufficient gesture, however I would of preferred for it to be right first time rather than the monetary gesture.

The breakfast was great and had a good selection of juices, fruit, pastries and the like.

It was difficult to know what to rate the hotel because the room & bed were superb as were the vast majority of the staff but it only takes one bad experience to leave a slightly bitter taste, especially when booking for a special occasion. I would like to visit again, although I hold some reservations in doing so.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with river/big ben views.
2 Thank Luke B
Theresa M, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel County Hall, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. It is regrettable to learn that your arrival experience during this busy weekend marred your experience, for which I sincerely apologise.

However, I was delighted to hear that the rest of your stay was an enjoyable one.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Theresa Maw - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We spent 3 nights here and were overall , very pleased! The view of the water and big ben and all was terrific and the London Eye was right out of our window! The London Aquarium is under the hotel so thats great too! The nearest tube stations are Westminster - over the bridge, or Waterloo which is about 10 minute walk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nikhil705
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here between Christmas and New Year with our two boys aged 7 and 5. The room was really spacious even with the two put you up beds in. Our room overlooked the London Eye which the boys loved. The London Aquarium is under the hotel so thats great too! The nearest tube stations are Westminster - over the bridge, or Waterloo which is about 10 minute walk. After a busy day sightseeing the swimming pool was most welcome and we also enjoyed a room service evening meal which was also very good. The only downside I can think of is that the WIFI isnt free, In a hotel like this I really dont think that they should be charging clients. Ooh really lovely breakfast too

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MishMash11
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent 3 nights here and were overall , very pleased! The view of the water and big ben and all was terrific and the London Eye was right out of our window! It was great when we wanted to see the view and if you didn't want Eye riders looking in your window , you simply closed the drapes! As sightseers we very much appreciated the view!
The breakfast was GREAT. We were pleasantly surprised as it is advertised as a "continental" breakfast, and neither of us are carb eaters, but they had scrambled eggs/breakfast meat/yogurt.
We ate at the dinner restaurant twice and it was NOT very good at all, as well as being pricey, and having to wait forever on the bill even after telling our server , on both occasions, that we wanted to get going. The other thing we did not like was that we could NOT get the room to be cooler. It was too hot and we had the thermostat turned down as far as it would go and still were too warm.
The bed was comfy, the room on the 4th floor where they have free drinks/snacks during specified times is FABULOUS, and we felt it was a great place to stay!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband, myself, and my adult daughter stayed here during Christmas 2013 for 9 nights. She had just finished up studying abroad for the semester. I read many reviews on this site beforehand, so our expectations were on target. It is a perfect location! We were out sightseeing everyday, and walking across the bridge to the tube was a breeze. The room was as expected in size and comfort, but the view of Big Ben is unmatched. The only downside is that we could not see it from bed. Hearing it chime on the hour was memorable (but it did not wake us during the night). Executive lounge and breakfast was fine. Staff was fine, although twice, my daughter and I witnessed some staff members being reprimanded in front of guests. Yes, it is pricey, but the location is worth it. I was initially skeptical because so many others have made the same comment. But, it is in a perfect location for exploring the city. I think we would stay here again just because of its location and the Big Ben room view. And we did ask and received three robes and slippers. They even put a Christmas stocking on my daughter's bed on Christmas Eve. Overall, nice stay.

Room Tip: Big Ben view is a must!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Colleen H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the Marriott London County Hall for a long business trip last week. The location was perfect for our needs. The hotel is large and the rates reasonable. The check-in process went smooth and help from the concierge initially was of aid. The rooms were exceptionally large and clean,except for the bathroom floors. I don't understand hotels and their quality control, check the bathrooms!!! This is the first place customers look at and to clean a floor is easy. The bed was clean and comfortable. The room service and food were great. The view of the Eye out my window was pretty cool, even thought the people on the Eye could look right in. No a big deal at all. The concierge on the following day was terrible. The gentleman was from Hungry, and only pointing this out as I don't want to name him, wanted a fee from us to call a cab for the our need the following morning. We gladly tipped the concierge from the day before and would have done so if this guy arranged for our morning cab. We no longer asked the concierge for help and asked the front door guy who was great. In fact, he helped redeem our feelings about staying here again. So, in the end, I would recommend staying here. The hotel does need some upgrades in the rooms and hallways and does need to clean the bathroom floors.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Eye
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony K
Theresa M, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel County Hall, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Tony,

I sincerely appreciate your recent and constructive review and I’m pleased to read you enjoyed your stay in London.

We have taken note of your recommendations and will communicate any future improvements through our social media.

Many thanks,

Theresa Maw
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed here for one night after attending an award ceremony. The location was fantastic and the hotel was an oasis of peace after the noisy city. Breakfast was great and the service brilliant. We had a lovely sized room which had everything we needed in it. I would definitely stay here agin

Room Tip: Rooms at front overlooking river