Arrived on a Sunday for a few days stay at this Marriott located in front of the Parliament, in part of the former County Hall building. So it is great for tourism, but much less for shopping as Oxford and Bond Street are 20 minutes away by taxi or by Tube. And for some reason, the landlord is forbidding hotel guests to use any other door than the main one, which forces the guest to walk much more to get to London Eye or to Waterloo Station.
Booked a room with a view on River Thames. Got one on London Eye, with people passing right in front of the room (charged GPB 300 or about USD 500). Complained and got one a bit further away, still facing the river, the Parliament and Big Ben! Quite nice!
The room was pleasant. But:
- wifi is charged at GBP 15 a day (about USD 25 - it is free in the lobby)
- bathroom amenities are minimal
- the large bed was actually two assembled single beds: quite uncomfortable!
Housekeeping was minimal (bathrobe left by the bed, empty bottles of water on the table, ...) and the turndown service non existent (asked for it once and found just a bed open with two little chocolates on it - nothing else such as little carpets by the bed or curtains closed).
There is only one restaurant in the hotel, and one bar open (while the hotel was full during the peak Christmas shopping season). What is hardly acceptable is to see them occupied by private functions. During my short stay, one evening hotel guests were asked to go to the library for dinner (with a very limited menu choice and a slow service - 90 minutes to have a "quick" dinner). Worse, the evening after, we were asked to go to a meeting room on the 5th floor, with only room service being offered! And no bar was available for the guests! It seems this is normal practice in this property! Also, staff told me they hardly got the service that is retained by the hotel on every bill (so do refuse the 12.5% and tip in cash)!
Staff though was great and efficient, and did their utmost to cover up poor management decisions!
All together, for GBP 300 a night, you can find many great hotels in London where the management would respect their clients!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Painted with a signature backdrop, the historic London Marriott Hotel County Hall offers proximity to our city's main attractions. With views of Big Ben, the banks of the River Thames and overlooked by the London Eye, landmarks are a short stroll away from the front doors of our hotel in London, England. Stay with us and hold your events here, as we feature distinctive venues that can accommodate every occasion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your London Marriott Hotel County Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott London County Hall Hotel London
- London Marriott Hotel County Hall England