“Exceptional, thoroughly recommended.”

Ranked #174 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Fife, Scotland
“Exceptional, thoroughly recommended.”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The only reason I ended up here was because a 4-star pretender around the corner had hiked their rates up; meaning this 5-star hotel then turned out to be offering a better deal. Bad move on the part of the 4-star place, from now on when I stay in London (and when I'm asked for a recommendation) the Marriott County Hall will be top of my list.

This was the first time I'd stayed in a Marriott hotel, and the level of customer service impressed me right from the start; from the moment I arrived, the concierge insisting on carrying my case out of the taxi; the polite and helpful reception staff; the housekeeping staff who couldn't have kept the room any more spotless than they did; the room service staff who brought my breakfast at exactly the time they were expected; to the concierge having my case waiting in the taxi while I was checking out.

All simple things, but in my experience it's those simple things that make the difference.

Anyway, the hotel forms the large part of the London County Hall building. County Hall is a massive building which hosted the successive London Councils until the late 90s when they moved down the river. The building now also hosts a museum, aquarium, gallery, a Premier Inn hotel and various offices and studios.

The sheer size of the building does mean that there can be a bit of a walk from the lifts to your room; the corollary of that though means that there's plenty of space, even in the "smaller" rooms. Huge amounts of space in fact; I stayed in a single room with a king-sized bed and it was bigger than most double hotel rooms I've stayed in elsewhere in London.

What's in the room? Double wardrobe with full length mirror doors, safe (free & big enough to accomodate a laptop), iron & ironing board, tea & coffee, kettle, ice bucket (ice machine in corridor), glasses, cutlery & cups. There's a small vanity table with stool, mirror and hairdryer, a desk with leather armchair, a 32" LCD TV sitting on a 4-drawer unit. 2 bedside cabinets. 2 high backed armchairs aside an occasional table. Huge, and hugely comfortable, king size bed with great egyptian cotton sheets, pillowcases & duvet cover. 6 feather pillows - think it's strange I mention that ? - then try staying round the corner where the 4-star hotel offers you 2 of the worst pillows in the world!!

Mini bar, one of those "immediate charge if you move the item" variety. One touch they missed out on I feel is there's no provision for a customer fridge in the room - they could even offer part of the mini bar area for this I'm sure.

Large bathroom with nice deep bath. Not a separate shower, it's an "over the tub" type, but blimey is it powerful and the shower head pattern is adjustable too! Daily toileteries and soap, fresh & top quality towels, bathrobes.

Excellent air-conditioning/climate control too - it was set to maximum cool during my stay but would equally provide heat if needed.

My room had a nice exterior view out over Jubilee Gardens and the arcade up to the London Eye which meant plenty of natural light. Blackout curtains. The windows have secondary glazing which shuts out the noise from outside, but this can be opened and the original windows can be opened too, for those who want fresh air in the room.

Evening turn down service if wanted; personally I thought it was a bit early (between 5pm - 6pm) but that's maybe because I was near the end of the corridor so that's maybe where housekeeping started off.

Unfortunately, not being a member of Marriott rewards it would have cost me £15 for 24 hours internet access (either Ethernet or wifi) which I think these days is a bit off. There are plenty places nearby (e.g. Starbucks on Belvedere Road) where you can get a free connection.

The hotel has a lovely big swimming pool, 5 lanes and 25m long. I visited twice during my stay and had the place to myself both times so can't complain! Slightly unusual arrangement in that the pool is separate from the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi but it's not really a hassle. Huge gym with loads of equipment, I didn't actually use it but the layout means you walk past the gym to get to the changing rooms.

Food? I didn't use the hotel restaurant, I did have room service breakfast which was fantastic. Especially the hotel's specials and signature breakfasts - the brioche french toast and omelettes were fantastic, and the waffles sounded good too!

In summary then, thoroughly recommended and I'll definitely be staying there when I can.

One final tip - find the way to the side exit onto Belvedere Road, it can save some time if you're coming from the Waterloo side. And the marble staircase and mosaic floor and foyer has to be seen to be believed, it's stunning.

Room Tip: Get one near the lift if mobility is a problem.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Great location five minutes from Waterloo.
Goodsize room, lovely view of the London eye. Comfortable king size bed.
Friendly Staff. Did not have time to use the facilities as I only stayed for night.
Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
England
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Recently stayed, definitely not a 5 star hotel, great location but average room and poor service, gave up on room service and checked out.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Spent a couple days in London and decided to try the Marriott London County Hall Hotel. If you're used to Marriotts in the North America, the County Hall is a very different experience. County Hall is located in a former municipal building that looks to have been the headquarters for London County government until the 80s. Thus, the building was not originally designed to be a hotel, which makes this Marriott a bit quirky and gives it character -- which I like. The halls are not straight, and instead wind around the building's courtyard. There's a lot of old woodwork and original features from when the building served another purpose.

Staff service was excellent, overall. However, it took some time to check in because despite there being only two parties in line, the first had some kind of scheduling problems and the desk appeared under-manned. So we waited. Meanwhile, there were three employees stationed at the concierge desk. So it was a bit strange, but depending on union rules, etc., that's often how it is in Europe. Other than that, we were quite happy with the service.

Location is excellent, being on the Thames, right across from Westminster, near the London Eye, and close to two Underground stations.

Pool area is really excellent. I don't think I've ever seen an indoor pool in this good condition and size in Europe before. It's excellent for doing laps, etc.

Executive lounge is "ok" and has a reasonable but not great selection at breakfast. The restaurant is better.

The hotel is in very good condition, with only minimum wear and tear visible in the halls, elevators, etc. The room was standard Marriott fare with an excellent bed, decent work area, 40ish" TV, etc. Internet connection was very good.

And there were some annoying maintenance-type issues in the room -->
1) a major crack in the floor tiles in the bathroom, which while not a big deal is not pretty;
2) the towel rack over the tub was coming loose because people use it as a handhold (the bath/shower handhold is not located conveniently for entering/exiting for us older members of society);
3) the faucet in the bathroom sink must be turned excessively for both on and off -- it might just be a design issue, but it gives the impression that it's partially broken;
4) the shower flow is very heavy, which I'm sure a lot of people like, but it arguably wastes a lot of water. This is actually interesting because most Marriotts have flow limiters in their shower heads and shower flow if anything tends to be too weak -- you'll find just the opposite at this Marriott if our room was representative;
5) the window view onto the Thames was very nice, but the seal around the window was poor and when it's windy outside you get a whistling sound in the room and an obvious draft -- this is partly due to the building being very old and zoning rules forbidding making structural changes to the windows that would improve energy efficiency, etc. Still, it's annoying.

That said, the overall experience was good. We'll definitely consider this hotel when we return to London.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river have an excellent view, however, the London Eye (the large ferris wheel...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott County Hall in London for 4 nights in mid-September and we couldn't have been happier! They had a weekend special for the room rate which we thought was very reasonable for London. The room was big, very clean and beautifully decorated. The king size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size and clean. We had a great view of the Thames River, the London Eye and Big Ben! The location is great, 5 minute walk you are at the Waterloo train station/Waterloo Tube. Or 5 minutes over the Westminster Bridge to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben etc & Westmister Tube station. The red double decker bus are directly in front of the hotel. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and most helpful! A must see... is the lounge/dining room... it is beautiful! A very nice spot to go for a drink after a long day of sightseeing. We had dinner one night in the dining room the food was excellent and the service was outstanding. We did have room service for breakfast one morning which was very reasonable in price and the service again was outstanding! Very polite, professional! We cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. This is where we will being staying any time we are in London!

Room Tip: Try asking for a river view, it is amazing!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ptm39
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed in this hotel while visiting London for our 1 year anniversary. Fortunately my parents had enough points to cover a 2 night stay, otherwise we probably would NOT have been able to afford it. It used to be an old government building, which they have done a great job turning into a classy upscale hotel. It's right on the thames, and the room we had was very spacious (no balcony unfortunately) RIGHT under the London eye! Amazing. We were a little frustrated when the girl (who didn't seem to busy) obviously forgot to tell us that our room was ready after we told her we were desperately needing a nap (we had just gotten off the plane). But that, and the price of drinks at the hotel, we really our only two complaints. We were right across the bridge from the underground, and it was a wonderful location to all London had to offer!

Room Tip: Knowing how small London hotel rooms can be, I don't think you can go wrong with this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Marriott County Hall in London in mid-september and could not have been happier with our stay.

Location: The County has is perfectly located in the wesminster borough of london connected to the jubalee garden/london eye and accross the westminster bridge (long bridge) from the houses of parliment. it is a great starting point to walk to many of the cities attractions. Although this area is a bit quieter in the evening.

Room: We wanted a river view room but as we were staying on points received a room with partial river views facing the jubalee garden/london eye. Note: As with everything in london, this hotel is quite expensive, but i believe they had somewhat reasonable weekend rates. The rates during the week are high due to its close proximity to parliment, (when in session).The room was quite large for london standards including a huge soaking tub desk area table and chairs as well as a separate closet/vanity area for getting ready. The beds were up to marriott quality and turndown service was a nice tough. These rooms are a bit of a walk as this is a large building but we never felt annoyed by it as other posters have commented.

Executive Lounge: We stayed on the executive lounge floor (4) and had daily access (which i believe can also be purchased for 12.50/day. This had a nice assortment of breakfast items but more importantly had water and coffee available all day to take along to the sites. In the evening there were snacks including beer/wine till about 9:30.

Food: We at once at the hotel in the rotunda lounge (lunch/light dinner) and ate room service once evening. Both were up to the standard you would expect for a marriott. Know that behind the hotel (if you take the back entance out of the lobby, there are 3 or 4 quick options for food as well as a convenience store with liqour. This is convenient as the marriott does not have a gift shop/store for small necessities.

Consierge: During our 5 night stay, the consierge was quite helpful. They are able to book tickets to various attractions and shows so you dont need to wait in line. They remembered what we had booked and as we left one evening even said, "have fun at the show" remembering what we had booked earlier. They are very professional and I would definitely use them.

Other notes: There is no ATM on the property, but there is one in the Hospital just accross the street. We had no troubles upon check in as it was a tuesday, but this is a large hotel and i can understand there being a long long if it was busy. Also note, the hotel can book car service back to Heathrow and charge it to your room. It was 60 pounds which is a bit expensive, but was a nice BMW and vs. a cab was preferred.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple