“London Calling...”

London Hilton on Park Lane
Ranked #340 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My boyfriend booked the Hilton Park Lane as a birthday present for me and we had 3 nights in London in April 2013.
What can I say about the hotel? Only GOOD things!!!
Well, when you first see it, its very modern looking from outside, like something from an American television series and I thought that it was going to have a cold interior also.
But I was totally wrong. Beautiful reception area with lovely helpful staff, 4 lifts (had to choose your floor from a keypad before entering the lift) large bedroom with massive window overlooking the city, bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom and beautifully decorated including a rain-shower, huge comfy bed, iron and ironing board in the room so didnt have to go to reception, lights in the wardrobe, TV and radio with all channels you would need, not that we watched much TV, and we had the option of room-cleaning daily. Although we were usually still in bed when the woman came around - was very early!!
We ate in the podium bar on the first night as we arrived quite late and the staff there were so helpful and friendly. Really great start to our mini-break.
Breakfast had a massive selection of foods and the hot food was replenished frequently. Nothing worse than cold scrambled egg! And no rushing you from your table either.
We went to the skybar on the Sunday evening and its just stunning. View of London from every angle. Heard a few people complain that the skybar didnt serve dinner on a Sunday and they were very unhappy at this but its stated firmly and obviously in the hotelbook in the room so it wasnt the hotels fault at all.

Hotel is very central. Close to many of the attractions - can walk to them on a nice day. And there is a tube station right beside it with easy access to anywhere further out or to airports. Hotel is right on Hyde Park and its just a stunning place to have a nice walk and to visit Kensington Palace.
Famous club Whisky Mist is at this hotel although entrance is not guaranteed to hotel guests. Trader Vic's bar is also here and slightly more relaxed.

All in all, would definitely recommend this hotel. My only gripe would be the price but thats just because if it wasnt a present, I would never be able to afford it!

Room Tip: Remember that Galvin at Windows SkyBar does not serve dinner on a Sunday. Also, head down early fo...
There are newer reviews for London Hilton on Park Lane

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I took my girlfriend to the Podium restaurant for her 21st birthday. She started with the watercress soup with stilton bread and moved onto the muscles for main. Both dishes she was delighted with, as was I with my starter of duck rolls and main of teriyaki salmon. As a dessert we indulged in chocolate cake, which was exceptional. Fantastic service in a lovely setting and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Rather ugly building from the outside, but the lobby was well appointed and thronging with people. The elevators are interesting in that you choose the floor on a touch screen outside and when you get in there are no elevator buttons. Better not have made a mistake, because you can't change your mind now! The waits to check in and out were long, and the clerks did not move with a sense of urgency. Not sure why, but I didn't receive my express check-out material under my door, so I had to join the long check-out queue as I checked my watch and hoped it would not make me late for my departure to the airport. The "coffee service" in the room comprised a hot pot and a couple of packets of instant coffee and some tea bags - I guess Hilton hasn't gotten the memo that even in England people like real coffee. Though I will concede that the instant coffee was stored in a lovely box. Despite the elegant presentation, it was still instant coffee! I guess because it is in Mayfair everything was premium priced to go with the conspicuous consumption in the rest of the neighborhood. In this day and age most everywhere has free Wi-Fi, but not here. It was £20 per day. That's as much as you'd pay for a month of high-speed internet service in many cities around the world. The bed was large and the duvet was clean. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The bright spot in the service arena was the doorman. He was friendly and ran a tight ship keeping the taxis moving and actively checking with customers to see if they needed help with directions, etc. All in all, it was a clean and pleasant place to stay, and it is recommended if you are on a business trip and can invoice it. Not sure I'd spend my own money there - you can definitely get more for the same price elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John R
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We recently stayed over a 'treat' weekend for my husband's birthday at the Hilton in Park Lane. I cannot say enough about how special one is made to feel at this hotel, even to the little note left in our room with complimentary fruit and a tasty desert, which welcomed us, wished us a pleasant weekend and Happy Birthday wishes. Overall, from the breakfast experience to the clever lifts, the service is great, the rooms well appointed, & the hotel's location perfect for a stroll through the parks or to head into the main shopping and theatre areas. We dined in the Podium restaurant and the food was excellent quality, even the pre-dinner cocktails in the Aztec bar so pleasant and served with a smile. It was a lovely weekend we hope to repeat many times again.

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Decided to stay here on HHonors points and booked a while ago. I had booked a standard room with Knig size bed, and due to beign a HHonors Gold member, had anticipated an upgrade to a Deluxe (or maybe even an executive!)

I logged into my account the day before to find that i HAD been upgraded to an executive room, and was quite pleased. Loggin in again the morning of our stay to find I had been FURTHER upgraded to a "park lane" suite.

We arrived early, around 12 noon, but was told the room was ready. We popped in quickly, and changed,as we had a Matineé performance to get to for 2pm.

Stunned on entrance to room, with a large double door opening into a hallway, from here, the living area was directly in front, and the bedroom over to the right.

The suite had 2 2seater sofas, and a small desk. There was also a large 28" flatscreen tv, Bose speaker/ipod/radio, coffe pod maker etc.

This overlooked Hyde Park corner and was a lovely view.

The bedroom was typical Hilton fare, with a lovely king bed, but with a masssive window seat overlooking hyde park/park lane. A very large walk in wardrobe was helpful, although as we were only there one night, was a bit redundant for us ! (we only had one bag!)

AS we were in a suite, we also had executive lounge access, which came in uiseful for a snack and a glass of wine before dinner. We had booked dinner in Galvins at Windows, the Michelin starred restuarant on the 28th floor, which i will cover in a seperate review.

As it was a treat, we ordered breakfast in bed, which was served hot, and on time.

Overall,a lovely stay, the park lane suite was stunning, the views were good.

the only complaint i had was the delivery charge for the breakfast in room option was £7.75. Only when checking out did this become clear that this was per person, and not per delivery.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better views, Hyde park corner view is nice, but no view of palace. Park lane vie...
1  Thank dukesy
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had high expectations of a memorable afternoon tea, but would only rate as 7/10 so whilst ok was not stunning.
Nearest tube is Green Park with approx 5 min walk (or Bus No 73 stops right outside) Afternoon tea was served in the Podium Restaurant, shown to our table which was situated at the rear of the Restaurant in a Conservatory area (which was boiling hot in the sunshine) and was so far away from the live singer/guitarist, we could barely hear or make out the songs.
The champagne was served promptly and generally the service was very good.
The Tea was hot and there were a number of choices available.
The open sandwiches and scones/cakes were nice without being sensational, whilst this was reasonable value on a Groupon Deal, I would have been very disappointed paying the full advertised rate.
Cant help thinking that there are better Afternoon Tea`s available, and my DW will no doubt continue her crusade to find them !!!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The location is good - but then again, it depends on the focus of your London visit. This slightly above bland Hilton is right across the road from Hyde Park and a 15 minute walk to Buckingham palace. The closest Tube station is a 5 minute walk.

The lobby looks like it is new. The room we had was a standard cookie cutter Hilton room, probably half way through the refurb cycle. All the room amenities were there and available. Phone calls to reception were difficult, as they aren't answered at all, or after several attempts answered after ringing and ringing....

Breakfast was good, but the room is too small and there was a 10 minute wait on one of the two mornings we ate there. Standard breakfast fare, but the pastries were outstanding. Coffee and juice service was quick and, for those in the know (which we weren't until we were nearly finished with our last breakfast there), it would seem you can have eggs cooked to order if you don't want the runny scrambled eggs.

We had cocktails up on the 28th floor. Nice room, but the music didn't fit the room or the people in it. They were playing something akin to House music, when Jazz would have fit the bill. The drinks are good and you pay a premium for the view. We also had drinks and appetizers at Trader Vic's which is located downstairs off the lobby. Nice place, great Mai Tai. There's not a lot of restaurants and bars in the direct neighbourhood (with the notably exceptions of the Hard Rock and Nobu).

Nothing really frustrated me about this hotel, other than the difficulty reaching reception on the phone on a few occasions. Nothing wowed me about this hotel, except for the new Otis elevators where you key in your floor on one of the several touch screen panels and it tells you which elevator to go to. That was cool.

It's not the Savoy - but that's an entirely different price category.

1  Thank MrktMgr