“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #339 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My mum and I visited the Hilton for afternoon tea having bought a great deal on Time Out. We arrived about an hour before our reservation as we wanted to get out of the cold, and the restaurant were happy to seat us early. The afternoon tea consisted of a glass of champagne, a selection of sandwiches (5 different types which you could pick and choose from to your taste), and a vast array of cakes and teas.

I decided to try one of each sandwich, all of which were nice. One comment I would make is that the smoked salmon and horseradish one didn't have enough horseradish on, but that's fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things! For the cakes, they brought out a tiered stand of about 12 cakes, pastries and other yummy things for the two of us. I have an allergy to white chocolate, so spoke to the waitress, who not only checked with the kitchen which ones I could and couldn't eat, but also brought me a special plate of 4 more cakes so I didn't miss out. Every single one that I tried was delightful, although having eaten 8 or so cakes I felt a little larger round the middle!

The range of teas was also impressive, with something to suit everyone's taste. If tea's not for you, a girl at another table ordered a hot chocolate instead, and coffee was also available, at no extra cost.

I was really impressed with the level of service here, as they seemed to be happy to go out of their way to make the tea suitable for you, rather than simply providing a generic afternoon tea. I'll definitely be having more afternoon teas, I think it's great for Mother/Daughter or friends day out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katieh91

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Although Park Lane is outside the London Congestion Zone, the Park Lane Hilton is set back from Park Lane by a few feet and is inside the zone. Hence, you can drive to the hotel from outside London while staying outside the congestion zone but to drive the last few feet from Park Lane to the hotel’s front door will cost you the daily congestion fee of 10 GBP. Parking overnight at the hotel cost us an incredible 73 GBP (approx $120 US) comprised of: 48 GBP hotel parking fee, plus 2 x 10 GBP congestion fees, plus 5 GBP hotel telephone fee to pay the congestion fees.

The photograph is taken from our bedroom located over the hotel’s entrance. The road in front is Park Lane, the flag pole is over the hotel’s front entrance. The congestion zone boundary can be seen by the white ‘C’ painted on the road and the black poles with cameras. Hilton could have done something about this.

We will not be staying at this hotel again after paying these incredible fees for overnight parking. Otherwise the hotel was quite nice with well appointed rooms, although for the price bathrobes, slippers, and saucers for the room tea cups could have been supplied.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Holinder
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed over Good Friday using Hilton Honours points. After looking at the pictures of the rooms on here I feel cheated. I wished we'd complained now but we're not the sort to cause a fuss & thought this hotel was just badly in need of a refurbishment. Our room was extremely tired looking, dusty with crisps on the floor & a broken bedside lamp. The bed was so hard it felt like it was digging into my limbs. The bathroom was dirty with hair on the floor & orange scum round the tiles over the bath. A massive crack down the tiled wall also. This experience has put me off the Hilton brand. They've since asked me to complete a customer feedback form over a week ago which I have but I've received no reply. My husband has just reminded me that there were wires hanging from the electrics in the wardrobes and that there were no robes or slippers to use. I expect a lot more from a 5* hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sashakins09
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just back from this wonderful hotel with my wife its in a perfect location near to everything very handy for top attractions the palace is just 10 minutes walk as well as oxford street marble arch and about 25mins walk to big ben.Its also very conivent for hard rock which is minutes away and if you go through back of hotel you could be in bond street in 15 mins its great not any need for taxis if you feel up to it.It was a special coccasion for us thats why we picked here booked 3 months in advance got a wonderful upgrade from allen as nice person just enough chat and friendly manor we were on the 20th floor which had great views of city and it was smoking room which was a nice option.Room had everything you would want and a nice size for inner city hotel only small concern was nice from people coming out of lifts on saturday at 3am but it was saturday night and maybe they had one to many and the light coming through under room door was making it hard to sleep so I just threw a towel down to stop it.It was only 10 minutes in taxi from victoria which was great.The team in hotel were very courteous and smiled alot which made me feel at home in such a big city.I want to thank the team for making our first trip to london a trip to remember and dont forget to go to the 28th floor in the night and have a glass or two of wine and take in the views a real treat.Only one complaint that the price for internet is crazy I just had to say it other from that flawless top marks a warm thank you to the doormen which in my opinion made a big difference to us just answering questions on london and letting us where to go and not to go which was very kind on them.PS The hop on hop off bus tour is just across from hotel and brings you back there when its over.

Room Tip: Get the City View 15th floor up
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichaelBres
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had Fab time , staff were wonderfull , bars were amazing , great night club possibly the best in London, not cheap but what an experience the best nights sleep in ages and breakfast was to die for ,booking again soon

Room Tip: Get on one of the upper floors for the best views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am very happy to hear that you have had a fabulous time here with us, and that both the excitement of our various nightspots and the comfort of the bedroom were so to your liking.

Going forward, when you plan a return visit to us please do contact either reservations.parklane@hilton.com or myself directly at david.gerrard@hilton.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I normally prefer independent hotels rather than the big chains, but used this one because they had an offer, so we got good quality for a reasonable price. The hotel is situated only five minutes' walk from Hyde Park Corner station on the Piccadilly Line, so you can take the tube there directly from Heathrow with no transfers, which is good, especially when you travel with luggage. The same line will take you onward to Piccadilly Circus with Soho's restaurants and nightlife, again without transfers. All in all, the location is convenient. I like to walk and had no problems making my way home from Oxford Street or Soho or Knightsbridge with Harrod's and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The building is a highrise and not very attractive architecture, but if you get a room a bit up you have great views of Hyde Park and the city. The top floor bar is worth visiting for its views, but the restaurant next door is overpriced and not a great dining experience. Our price offer did not include breakfast so we took that outside, but we enjoyed having a water heater in the room so we could have morning coffee in bed.The room was fine; my only irritation was that you have to pay for internet in the room, which I think is an outrageous practice - like saying "yes, we have electric wires in the room, but you have to pay extra to get power in them". There went a star, as far as I am concerned. Will I stay there again? Maybe, if they come up with an equally good offer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am very happy that our location was so convenient for all of your shopping and cultural needs, with both Knightsbridge and Oxford St in such close proximity to us.

That being said, I can certainly appreciate what you have said regarding the internet charge in the room. While we are in line with other five-star London properties in this regard, as you have mentioned, the internet does function as a utility, particularly these days, and this is a hot topic of conversation across the industry.

Thank you very much once again for your feedback, and if you do plan a future stay with us, please do contact either reservations.parklane@hilton.com or myself at david.gerrard@hilton.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you like the good life and the perfect location, this hotel is Perfection!! The general mangaer is always on hand. Excellent staff and very clean rooms. This hotel caters to business clients. There did seem to be a lot of different cultures being catered to at the same time. The overall operation was seamless.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very pleased that you have had such a perfect stay with us here at the London Hilton on Park Lane, and that your experience was overall such a positive one.

When you plan to return to have a return visit to us, please do contact reservations.parklane@hilton.com, or you can reach out to me directly at david.gerrard@hilton.com.

Thank you very much once again, and I look forward to having you back with us in the future.