“Great room, strange way to treat loyal customers”

Ranked #343 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hilton Park lane using HH points. We requested an upgrade to an exec floor before arriving, but as always took any upgrade as a bonus. On arrival we checked in fairly early which was good, but we were told we could not have an exec room, but had been upgrades to a deluxe queen room, from a king standard room. When we went up to the room it was very small, with hardly any views. I may be missing something, but I'm not sure what a deluxe room brings, especially as we ended up with a much smaller bed. I think we may have been better without the upgrade. On the positive side the room was very very quiet and the bed very comfortable. My other issue, and maybe others can correct me , but normally as a HH Gold you receive complimentary continental breakfast. At the Hilton Park lane is was told by guest services that this was not offered, and I was made to feel that I was trying to get something for free. I understand I was on a points stay but I've stayed many nights to get my status, so feel as though I should be treated as well, as any paying customer. The is the first time I've felt this way after staying in many Hiltons worldwide, and I will definitely avoid staying here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul R
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review.

While I am pleased to read that you were happy with the room itself in the end, I must apologise for the two items you have raised relating to your Hilton Honors experience. I am glad that the room was quiet and comfortable, but I am sorry that it was not of the size that you would have hoped.

Regarding the continental breakfast, you are correct, as a Hilton Honors Gold member, you are entitled to either 1000 bonus points per stay, or a complimentary continental breakfast, and I must apologise if you have selected the breakfast offer and there has been a misunderstanding on our parts.

I know that you have said that you would not stay with us again, however if you plan a future visit to London and would like to give us another try please do contact me at david.gerrard@hilton.com and I will ensure that your experience is up to the Hilton standard that you are accustomed to.

London Hilton on Park Lane

Write a ReviewReviews (3,286)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is easy to get to use the underground, with both Hyde Park Corner and Green Park being nearby. Of the two, I think Hyde Park Corner is probably the more convenient if you're on the Piccadilly line, although Green Park is served by more lines. The front of the hotel can get very congested with taxi as there is effectively only one way and out for the taxi.

Check-in here is from 3pm, but we arrived at 12 just wanting to drop some bags off before heading off into London. Rather than just take the bags from us, the reception staff told us the room was ready and checked us in with no issues whatsoever. The whole process was speedy and the reception staff were very polite, informative and a pleasure to deal with. As others have mentioned, they also come out from behind the desk and walk you to the lifts to explain how the lift system works. This is without doubt, the most customer-centric hotel reception I’ve ever encountered. It also sets a high expectation for the rest of the hotel to, something it consistently failed to live up to.

We had a King Deluxe on the 15th floor, and while it was very clean and comfortable, it was hardly spacious. You could walk around the bed, but half the wardrobes were behind the sole (un)comfy chair and you had to move the chair around to get stuff in and out. The only other chair was that for the desk, and it wouldn’t have looked out of place in a school assembly hall. Bed was comfortable, and being 15 floors up there wasn’t too much traffic noise - about the only thing you could hear were the sirens from police/ambulance. The blackout blinds/curtains worked extremely effectively. Little noise could be heard from the neighbouring rooms but conversation from the corridors does echo around a bit.

The bathroom was a decent size with separate shower cubicle and bath and was also nice and clean. The rainfall shower head worked find but even with the taps all the way over to maximum heat it never really got more than warm and didn't have much pressure. The same could be said of the bath; it took an age to full and didn't stay hot for very long.

Breakfast in the Podium restaurant consisted of a typical Hilton buffet spread. The warm/cold food on offer was perfectly edible, if a little bland, but the kitchen did supply additional styles of eggs on request that were considerably better than the sloppy scrambled eggs available on the buffet. Waiting staff had the right level of attentiveness and cleared away used dishes promptly and refilled coffee/juice without seeming to hover. Podium isn't a large restaurant and can get busy - on both days of the weekend guests were queuing into the lobby waiting for tables to clear.

Guest Services also seemed to be somewhat reluctant to help fulfil a simple request. The tea/coffee making facilities in to room had no decaf tea bags. It's hardly a difficult request to have some sent up to the room; especially given they'll serve if for you in the Podium without so much as batting an eyelid. But phone up Guest Services and ask them to send some up was met with the response that they don't stock any. Even when you point out that they're available in the Podium, there was still no interest in getting them for the room. For a 5* hotel such a response beggars belief. A quick call to the helpful staff on Reception elicited a far more agreeable response, within a couple of minute Room Service had called to confirm they'd bring them up.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment at the hotel was the restaurant on the 28th floor - Galvin at Windows. Galvin has both a bar and a restaurant, and the noise and music from the bar invades the restaurant area. Much is also made of the London vista visible from the restaurant. I'm sure it’s good if you're lucky enough to be sitting around the periphery of the restaurant, but perhaps a third of the seating area is on a raised dais in the middle of the room, and the surrounding bannister is high enough that it pretty much obscures all but the distant horizon. So, if you want to enjoy the scenery, make sure you ask for a table by the window. Before the starter was served, a small shot glass of curried sweetcorn puree was served - it was vile. A single mouthful was more than enough and had such a strong aftertaste it overpowered the starter I'd ordered. In fairness, the main courses were nice with both the fish and the steak being very tasty, but if we'd not ordered any sides then the main course could have been eaten in about four mouthfuls. The saving grace was that caramel pear tarte (to share between two) which was large enough to compensate for the diminutive main course. At no point in the meal did the waiting staff make us feel particularly welcome. At close to £100 per head for a 3 course meal (excluding wine!) I was expecting something special, and it was anything but that.

It's perhaps a little unfair to lump a review of the spa in with the hotel review as it's an outsourced operation, but, it’s listed as one of the facilities, so I guess it's worth doing. The Purity Spa is in the basement and is split across two area's but it's not clear which you need it having a treatment. One area is next to the hairdressers and the other by the gym, some better signage would help reduce the number of guest wandering around trying to work out where to register. Massage rooms are small to say the least, and with both my wife and I having treatments at the same time they put us in the same room. Now, if the room had been a decent size this would have been fine, but the room was barely large enough for one massage table let alone the two they'd tried to cram in. It was impossible to walk around the tables and with about 8" between the tables barely enough room for them to squeeze between them when working down the sides of your body. One table was also pushed up against the wall so they had to reach over one leg to do the other. The cramped room also lacked anywhere to hang or place the clothing you had to remove leaving you with the only option of placing it on the floor under the table. The girls were competent at the massage given the constraints imposed by the room but for a spa facility as an upscale hotel it was sadly under par. Mind you, as soon as they girls left the room at the end of the massage, we both burst out laughing. Neither the spa facilities nor massage were a winner, but the comedic value of having a massage in such a small room, the inadvertent bums making contact as they tried to negotiate the tiny gap between the tables, and the three attempts to restart the CD when it stopped half way through was priceless.

So, aside from the great experiences with check-in staff, this hotel doesn't live up to expectation. I've had nicer rooms, better meals and better service at other Hilton hotels far lower down the food chain than this one. Would I come here again? No, it’s just not worth the money.

1  Thank Windswept_Traveller
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review.

I am very pleased to read that you have had such a customer-centric experience with our team at the front office upon your check-in. One only gets a single chance to make a first impression, and I am so pleased that the team made such a positive one.

I am very sorry to hear about your experiences at our restaurants. I have forwarded your comments to the Food and Beverage director for further analysis, as what you have described is not to the high standard of quality that we pride ourselves on.

While Purity Spa is a privately owned concession, as they are located in our property their standards and practices are important to us, and I do thank you for advising me of your experience. This has been taken up with the Spa director as a matter of priority.

Thank you very much again for your review, and I do hope that your trip to London was a positive one on the whole.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Friday and Saturday night. The hotel is very stylishly decorated and the double room that we were placed in was very spacious and had all the facilities that we would expect. All of the staff were attentive and friendly and the room service that we had on the second night was of a good standard. I would definitely visit this hotel again.

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and review.

I am so pleased to read that you have been so pleased with the room provided, and that our location was so to your liking. I have passed on your kind words to the room service team, and they were very happy to hear them.

Thank you so much once again, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Spent 3 days this month Sep 2012 at Hilton on Park Lane, Mayfair District. Excellent proximity to all the city sights. Taxis are always available. Bus stops close by as well as the tubes. As a Diamond member, had access to Executive Lounge. They served more than just a continental breakfast; Tea time at 3:00, Hors d'ouvre were served at 5:30... substantial enough that we didn't have to go to dinner. Room was spacious with spectacular view. From the hotel, it was an easy walk to the Buckingham Palace and Marble Arch. Signed up for tours with the concierge who helped us picked out the tour... Windsor Castle, Tower of London including a sumptous buffet lunch at Harrods. The tour bus picked us up at the hotel. My hats off to the Executive Lounge staff who were so patient in helping me with my IPad. What is so interesting about this hotel is the elevator! There are no buttons on the wall to press. There is a stand that holds an electronic pad that has numbers, just enter your floor and it directs you which elevator to use. Awesome! This hotel is an absolute 5 SHINING STARS and it is due to all the friendly staff who treats their guests with fine white glove.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rhodora56
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I am most pleased to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us here at the London Hilton on Park Lane. I will pass on your gratitude to the staff in the Executive Lounge, as it sounds like you had a wonderful time in there throughout your stay.

Thank you very much once again, and I do look forward to having you with us again next time.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Spent a few nights there with my teen daughter and loved the location for getting around London. We used the buses and the subway (during the rain storms) and once we figured out how to use the pedestrian underpasses and not try to run across the street, we were good to go. The valet staff was most helpful with us figuring out how to get around by bus and taxi, while the front desk, although very professional, could lighten up a bit and not be so formal when dealing with "non business" travellers. Our room had an awesome view of the Eye and Big ben and the room very clean and comfortable. Loved the nightly turn down service, especially after coming in late each night from the theatre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased that the location of our property worked out so well for you, and that the valet staff were so helpful in directing you around London. It sounds like the view and the room itself were both to your liking, and I am very happy that this was the case. Hope you enjoyed the shows at the theatre!

Thank you very much again for your review, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Park Lane Hilton is, first and foremost, in an excellent location from which to walk or take public transit around Central London. The whole area is nice, right next to Hyde Park and Greens Park, a walk to most of the areas of greatest interest in London. The views from the hotel rooms are, as far as I can tell, all excellent.
Beyond the location and the views, it's a fairly standard Hilton takeover of an existing hotel building. The beds are comfortable, the staff keeps the place clean, and the elevators are very fast. The rooms, by London standards, are fairly large. However, the initial design of the hotel results in a few things that are off. The bathroom layout is not quite convenient, not up to the standards of modern hotels in, say, Spokane. The closets are a bit small. There's a minbar, but no refrigerator for guest use.
The food at the hotel is distinctly average. Having tried all 3 of the hotel restaurants, I would recommend against any of them. Of course, this is London, a city not really known for good food. The executive lounge has a breakfast and snacks available. This is OK, limited somewhat by the penchant to always base a meal on hummus. Hummus is enjoyable, but you'd like some variety.
Given the relatively high charge for a room of about $600 per night (including tax), you'd expect better, even in Mayfair.
So, overall, you'll be able to get a better hotel room for a much lower cost in Topeka or San Diego or LA, but then you wouldn't be in the center of London.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for the view. Try to get to the 17th floor or higher. I think all the vie...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views from the room, and that the location was so to your satisfaction. I am also happy that the bed was comfortable and that the room was clean and large.

I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from regarding the Executive Lounge food items during your stay. Variety is the spice of life, and your comments have been made known to those in charge of these items in order that they may provide more differentiation between choices.

Thank you very much once again for your review, and I do look forward to having you with us again in future.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Quiet, quiet, quiet. Those are my three requirements for a hotel and the London Hilton passed with flying colors. From check in to check out my wife and I really enjoyed our stay. Even staying on a reward night we were upgraded to a bigger room on the 25th floor with fantastic views. I ordered a bucket of ice and a couple of champagne glasses from room service and they were at our door in less than five minutes. That's what I call service. Will stay here again when I visit London.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors on the same side of the elevators. Great views of the city.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am delighted to read that your room upgrade was so to your liking, particularly when it comes to the quietness level. For me, while of course all of the amenities and luxury touches are important, a nice relaxing evening is the most important aspect of a guest's stay, and I am so pleased that this was your experience at the London Hilton on Park Lane.

Thank you very much once again, and we look forward to having you with us again in the future.