“Clean, convenient, rooms a touch on the small side”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #477 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London
“Clean, convenient, rooms a touch on the small side”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The Mercure at London Paddington is in a fantastic and convenient location for travellers from the South West. 100 metres from Paddington station it takes no time at all to get there, and on check out day you can leave your bag there and know you'll be ready to catch your train in two minutes.

The rooms are on the small side, and there is only one lift serving the hotel. For a business trip and only one person, this isn't a problem. It would have been more than cosy for two. That said they are very clean, and the showers are excellent. Wifi is complimentary (Hilton take note), which is great. Had I not had meetings in the afternoon after arrival I would have easily been able to work there.

Staff are friendly and helpful. I had complimentary bottles of water, great for carrying around, dressing gowns are provided (again, Hilton take note), and I also had ear plugs in case the sounds of the city weren't to my liking.

Minor gripes - shower gel and toiletries are there, but only 'conditioning shampoo' rather than the better separate shampoo and conditioner, and the hair dryer is one of those horrid ones with little power, that you're expected to use in a steamed up bathroom (again not ideal for two), and keeping your thumb on the button at all times. A bit too much late night corridor noise too.

Breakfast is served at Garfunkel's where you can choose from the a la carte menu, which makes a welcome change from fried buffets. What is good is that when you're out in the evening you have a chocolate mint left on your bedside cabinet, and when I stayed last summer the air conditioning was set so that it was comfortable for sleeping.

My third or fourth stay, so good enough for a return visit, and often reasonably priced for London.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Naomi501,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to read your comments regarding our location, cleanliness and hospitality of our staff. Our aim is to offer memorable experiences to our guests.

Your feedback regarding our toiletries and hair dryer have been taken on board and we will do our utmost to rectify them.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you travel to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, England
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Well located immediately adjacent to Paddington train station (but no noise evident at all). Rooms are very smartly furnished and equipped. Ideal for business travel - but elements of the service were a complete shambles. I was required to offer a credit card from which a charge of £20 was taken for 'extras' even though I made it clear that I had no intention of using any. I asked when the £20 would be recharged and I was told that it would be recharged when I checked out. When checking out, I asked for confirmation that the £20 had been recharged but was told it would take up to 5 working days for my bank to process. I complained that such a charge was unnecessary for a short overnight stay and was then told by another receptionist that it could take up to 28 days ! I'm aware that other hotels use this tactic but I think it is very poor service. The breakfast served in the adjacent Garfunkels was nice -even if the cold buffet was of very limited choice - and the good quality hot options are cooked fresh to order - but the service was very confused and guests were forced to work out for themselves how to order. food. I was asked twice if I'd like coffee - I said yes please both times. It finally arrived 15 minutes later, after I had almost finished my meal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear smilerkevin61,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms smart and our location convenient for your needs.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the breakfast service at Garfunkel's. Your feedback has been shared with the restaurant manager.

Regarding the pre-authorization that was taken at the time of check-in, I would like to inform you that it is not an actual charge. It is common practice among hoteliers to authorize the guest's card to guarantee any additional charges or incidentals. Please accept my apologies for the confusion caused.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed for 1 night after a business meeting in Southampton. As I arrived early in the morning, the room wasn't ready yet as expected but I left my luaggage with them. When I return to check-in later in the evening, I was upgraded to a Twin Room. I had booked a Small Double as I was travelling alone. Overall, the room was ok. A bit on the small size and the layout was weird and the bathroom was tiny. I was travelling alone and yet I felt cramped in. I was facing the main street so it was a bit noisy. However, the room was clean and that was what mattered. The location of the hotel next to Paddington station is the main reason why I booked my stay here. It is very convenient to move around London from there and also to take the Heathrow Express to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear LibraGalSingapore,

Thank you for your review.

Indeed, as you well pointed out, our location is convenient not only for central london but also to access Heathrow Airport.

Ou rooms vary in size and shape. Some of them are on the compact side, however our guests preffer them as they are value for money.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you travel to London.

Nashville, Tn
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was our second stay at the Mercure Paddington. The hotel was renovated since our last visit. The chief reason we chose this hotel was its proximity to the Heathrow Express. The hotel has early check in and late departure options which we used. The rooms are clean and neat but small. This is a great spot for a one or two night stop over in London but if we were staying longer we'd probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nashville1,

Thank you for your review.

It is great to read that you are on your second visit with us. Indeed our location is second to none, due to our proximity to Paddington station.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to executive rooms that accommodate a king size bed. For future stays my recommendation is to try one of our king executive rooms.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have stayed in this little hotel before apart from the rooms being a little small everything was the same from my last stay clean rooms great staff and only a skip and a hope from the station.
The breakfast is still the same but you can use indigo hotel a min walk well worth it as they have a large selection continental breakfast service bit slow at times but good food.

Room Tip: if you can get there new room they have made room 419 great room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear conroy b,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to read that you have used us in the past and are pleased with our hotel on your most recent stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed April 17, 2014

One of the best located hotel for international travellers. Well connected with Heathrow Airport by Heathrow Express, brings you in 20 minutes. Paddington is a huge station having 3-4 lines tube service. Bakerloo is easiest and at shortest distance from this hotel. Plenty of restaurants around and the breakfast is served at the Garfunkel's restaurant situated on the ground floor. They offer cold as well as bit breakfast you can select from menu. Rooms are good and double windows are good enough to cut of the traffic sound even if they face road. Two disappointing factors about this hotel are- 1) they do not keep your luggage overnight. I stayed there for one night before I moved out to travel to North-West and I had to carry all the luggage even if I had to come back to the hotel for another stretch of 5 night stay, 2) Lot of area in the room was wasted in passage and finally I was left with smaller area for actual use. However, most of the hotels in Paddington have small rooms. They don't have large lobby and the bar in the lobby provides with only two tables. This is resolved by the fantastic location and you can choose to go out at any nearest restaurant or bar.

Room Tip: Guess all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shirish_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

It is a pleasure to read that you found our location ideal for your needs.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. For future stays my personal recommendation would be to book one of our executive rooms as they are very spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

We do keep luggage over night for guests that have a return stay with us. I am sorry to read you did not benefit from this service. Please rest assured that we have taken the necessary measures to prevent future occurrence.