“Impressive on the outside but a little hollow on the inside.”

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Ranked #250 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Surrey
“Impressive on the outside but a little hollow on the inside.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Came here for afternoon tea with friends which was exquisite and the service, attentive and very courteous. We were delighted with the selection. Small bite size pieces of fresh, sweet and rich fare which kept coming on request, along with a fine choice of fresh teas.

In that respect, there's little to fault it and in fairness, that is why we went after all plus it's easily located from Covent Garden.

Sadly though, in spite of it being rather grand from the outside, the inside is totally lacking in any sort of atmosphere at all.
Judging by the clientele, I'd say this is the sort of hotel which mainly caters to businessmen as it doesn't really tick any other boxes. It's clean, bright and unexpectedly open plan. Its smart minimalism though, feels rather at odds with its architecture, which spoilt the overall experience somewhat.

This is subjective of course and I have to say that, we were comfortable enough going as a mixed group, but it's not nearly pretty, grand or elegant enough to make me go back another time with girlfriends.

Silly maybe, but there it is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew H, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear viviko,

Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate your comments. The hotel is wonderfully located and as with all building design the style may appeal to some guests more than others perhaps however its good to read that you did enjoy the afternoon tea.

I am grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to post your review.

Andrew Hollett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visited this hotel for the first time over a weekend. Facilities are excellent and service was first rate. We didn't eat in but the comments of other guests indicate that the food was good. Didn't have time to use the gym etc so cannot comment on that.

Add to all of this the hotels location and it all adds up to a great stay. I would recommend this hotel and will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear chilledout74,

Thank you for staying and enjoying the Kingsway Hall hotel, my team and I are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit.

Please do stay with us when you are planning a trip to London and we will be more than happy to welcome you back.

Reading, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night and the hotel certainly served a purpose! It is very close to Covent Garden and the West End, which is only a 5 minute walk away.

When we arrived at the Kingsway, we were greeted in reception by a member off staff who was keen to help. The receptionist dealt with us promptly and we were soon checked in.

The restaurant in the hotel offers afternoon tea and also a fixed price menu for residents which, although we did not have, looked to Ber very reasonably priced which is a rarity in central London!

We had a twin room which overlooked the back of the hotel. Room was very quiet and we were not disturbed at all. The room had all the necessary amenities however is really quite dated ( has some of the most interesting curtains I've seen in a while). The beds are also incredibly narrow which did not make for the most comfortable nights sleep. Having just read some of the previous reviews, I can see this has been a problem for others. Although the hotel management have commented on such reviews and have said if the issue was raised then a change of room could be arranged. We did not raise the issue 1. Because we assumed all the beds in the hotel would be the same and 2. If you know the beds are an issue why would you continue to place guests in such rooms, if there are rooms with larger and more comfortable beds available?

We booked the hotel due to its location as we had theatre tickets. When we arrived back from the show, we decided to head to the bar for a few drinks. There was a 2 cocktails for £10 offer to celebrate London Cocktail Week ( which would have usually been £10 each). We also ordered 2 large baileys at £6 each which we felt was very reasonable. Unfortunately the bar was fairly busy with only 1 member of staff serving, which meant the service wasn't great. In fact, whilst placing an order the server began to walk off. When I continued with my order and he realised I was not done, he did come back. However was not apologetic, instead just told me how busy he was. I appreciate this was the case and could clearly see he was working hard, however his busyness was not my problem and does not excuse his rudeness.

All in all, I am quiet happy with my stay but would probably look to stay elsewhere in the future!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hayley040887,

Thank you for staying at Kingsway Hall hotel and I am grateful for your comprehensive review and I have noted all your comments.

Your feedback is appreciated and I wish that you had taken a moment to alert my team who would have moved you to another room for addtional comfort. The twin bedded rooms here have beds that are of standard size and are offerred for sale on that basis however when a different room is more appropriate the desk team would have been happy to offer an alternative. The bar service problem has been raised with the manager and I am confident that the issue you record will not be repeated in future.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback and I do hope that you would consider to stay again. If I can be of any assistance do contact me directly.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had an extended stay at the Kingsway Hall Hotel. Chosen for it's close location to Covent Garden (which has great night life) and the Tube (which you can take right from Heathrow to the hotel and was $5.50!!!) Our flight arrived early in the morning and were met in their attractive lobby by a very helpful doorman who offered the use of their day spa to freshen up. What a nice welcome! He then checked our luggage in their bell room while we explored the neighborhood. First impressions were great! I've got a couple of tips to consider. The room hairdryer is wimpy, but don't bother bringing yours unless you use it outside of the bathroom room because the only outlet in the bathroom is for a shaver. However, bringing an adapter and an extension cord solves that! Bring your own shampoo! Their offering was absolutely the worse shampoo I have ever used in a hotel. I would never mention shampoo, but it was really that bad and each day our hair got worse!!! Don't expect much in their bedding and mattresses. They were ok, but not fresh, crisp or fluffy. Be aware there is a "gentleman's club" across the street which empties out around 5-5:30 a.m. While the noise was barely audible, I would not chose this hotel again for that reason. A herd of drunk male patrons waiting for the "ladies" to exit the club does not make for a very safe situation if you're a early morning jogger or want to get a cup of coffee from the corner Starbucks!

Room Tip: Check out the window view. Some rooms overlook an alleyway. Request a street view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cwhich5,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Kingsway Hall hotel and I am very grateful to you for all your comments.

Your feedback is gratefully received and I would like to assure you that the area around Covent Garden is cosmopolitan but is very safe for hotel guests to go out in the early morning. The houskeeping standards here are very often commended for being of a high standard and I hope that you are re-assured by this. All of my team are committed to providing a welcoming and hospitable style of service and I am pleased to read that you experienced this.

I do hope that you would re-visit the hotel on a future trip to London and I would have great pleasure to be able to welcome you back.

Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed at the Kingsway Hall recently with my wife and daughter. Hotel is clean, good service, and is in a great location for access to Covent Garden, St. James Park, and all the great spots in London from the Theater district to Soho, to the Thames and Westminster. Good location in a great walking city. Rooms were nicely appointed with wall safes in the closets and having all the amenities to ensure comfort during your stay. The bar is pleasant with a good menu for casual dining or an after Theater meal. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rob1151,

Thank you for visiting London and staying with us at the Kingsway Hall hotel and I hope that you had a safe trip home to the States.

Your comments have been shared with my team and I know they will be pleased to read your kind words. Do stay with us again and I hope that you will enjoy a subsequent visit to the capital even more than your last stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Room was very clean and staff were very friendly. Located about two blocks from Holborn Tube Station, with lots of restaurants and stores nearby. Room was clean. One point -- the minibar in the hotel is based on a sensor, so when you put stuff in the fridge and move any of the stuff you might get charged.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VanCanucksFan
Dear VanCanucksFan,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your trip to London and the Kingsway Hall hotel was a great choice to stay. My team have received your review and will be happy to read that you were well looked after whilst you were here.

Please do stay with us again and I thank you for using Tripadvisor !

Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business for one night.
Room was very comfortable, but not very quiet as it overlooked the road, but where in London do you get a quiet hotel?
Staff were friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was nice too. I didn't have a room service meal, but prices were certainly reasonable.
Only criticism would be the TV didn't receive a very good signal

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Spongeandcustard,

Great name for a Tripadvisor reviewer and thank you for staying with us at Kingsway Hall hotel. I am grateful for your feedback and would assure you that the TV signal issue has been addressed with further improvments planned in the near future.

I do hope that you will re-visit in the future and if I can assist you with a booking do let me know.