“Great location and Great Hotel”

Ranked #250 of 1,090 Hotels in London
West End, United Kingdom
“Great location and Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel purely based on price and location, and wasn't disappointed. I paid £106 for a double room, and no more than a few minutes away from a Holborn tube or Covent Gardens. I would certainly recommend the hotel and use again. That said, it wasn't perfect.

PROs
Excellent location that is very close to 2 underground stations and Covent Gardens. Off a main road, so very little traffic in front of building.

Front entrance looks very clean, welcoming and upmarket.

Price was very good considering location and hotel.

Concierge was excellent. Couldn't be more helpful if he tried. He was there every time we were, held the lift for us, carried suitcase, opened doors, offered local advise.

Hotel allowed us to store our suitcases before and after we had checked in/out for free. Vital as you don't want to lug these around the city.

Room was clean and of a good size. Bed was comfortable, room was pleasant to stay in and had a safe.

CONs

Staff on front desk upon front desk and departure were a bit obnoxious. We felt as if we weren't welcome as we were in hoody and jeans, and not a suit. Didn't smile, and spoke very "I'm right, you're wrong" way. Consierge did more than make up for this.

Payment was very confusing, with no clear warning that I'd have to present my credit card THREE times. Once online to reserve the room (under impression I was paying for room as it was called "Advance Purchase"), then again upon check in (told that the online payment didn't actually take money in a condescending way). They also added £50 to my fee, which they said was in case I used anything such as minibar. I wasn't warned about extra £50 online, nor that I was paying for it. I only noticed when checking amount when entering PIN. Finally, checking out, they asked for payment, saying that the previous 2 "payments" were just reserving the money. Telling them that I wasn't aware that I'd need to pay three times, I was just told "Well that's how we operate". No offer of apology or to make it clearer for future customers. If I had known, I'd be ok, but it left me feeling angered over such a minor detail.

Room wasn't sound proofed. Most of evening there was activity in corridor and you could hear every detail as there is no seal around the door. Also in evening and morning, I could hear the person in the next room going to the toilet which wasn't pleasant.

That all said, I would stay there again, and recommend it to all friends and family.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear PJW8001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.
We were delighted to learn that most of your expectations were met, and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto all those concerned. The Front Office team has taken your comments on board and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future and in the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Perfectly located between Covent Garden and Holborn, with easy access to central London and the City, the Kingsway Hall is ideal for both business and leisure travellers. 170 bedrooms offer all the comfort and high class facilities you would expect from a 4 star deluxe hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel the weekend before Christmas to see War Horse and take in some of the London Xmas atmosphere. The hotel was modern, very well appointed and the staff were very friendly. Our room was of a high standard with all of the trimmings you'd expect in a 4 star hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel, prefering to take in some of the local fare and meet with friends, but the restaurant looked welcoming and the menu was reasonably priced. This hotel is very well sited for a number of the main theatres and is close to Holburn Underground station, so equally convenient for travelling that litle bit further. I would thoroughly recommend it for a London short-break.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear ijallen52,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.
You review was a pleasure to read and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto my team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the meantime, if we may assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Francesco

staffordshire uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd trip to kingsway hall & exceeded my expectations again, it was a girls trip to London to see a show, we were upgraded to a delux room, discounted breakfast & as it was a midweek stay we were offered the a la carte restaurant at 50% off!
The room was good & spacious with molten brown toiletries.
The bar staff in the evening were not very efficient more interested in serving business men rather than 2 females at the bar, we had to wait 15 minutes to be served & nearly gave up & went to the convenient store opposite.
What did put a dampner on the stay was that housekeeping thought it was ok to enter our room at 08.30 without a courtesy knock or ring of the allocated door bell!!
I raised this upon checkout however reception staff stated it may have just been a mistake....
But overall a pleasant 2nd stay at kingsway hall

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mychelle
Dear mychelle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.

We were delighted to learn that most of your expectations were met, and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto all those concerned. Moreover, the Bar and Housekeeping teams have taken your comments on board.

Francesco

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked a £119 double room with LateRooms. This was a 4-star hotel at a lower price than the nearest Premier Inn on the same night. So I took the opportunity to go to a better hotel and at a lower price.

On arrival found that the room didn't have a double bed as booked but instead contained two single beds pushed together. That is a fairly common way to create a king-size double bed and various hotels do it and doesn't especially worry me. But, and this was the odd thing, it was made up as two single beds with single sheets etc. I asked reception to re-make the room as a double. I was told, extremely politely, that this is impossible. I didn't understand why when other hotels do exactly that. They did offer, again extremely politely, to move me to a room with a double bed, but I declined as I had already unpacked and got settled when I noticed the bed.

In hindsight I should definitely have taken the offer of a room move as it was extremely uncomfortable to sleep in. After going to bed around 1am I got to sleep properly at around 4am. I think part of the problem was the pillows which weren't to my liking. This is not specifically the hotel's fault that I like very thin pillows. But I get a "pillow menu" in both Premier Inn and Holiday Inn so I can grab the pillow that suits me best. And I normally pay £60 to £75 for PI and HI.

I did get up once during the night and due to the wiring of the room lights I had to turn on every light in the room and bathroom to get a glass of water. This makes it very bright and unpleasant when all one really needs is one (or a maximum of two) small sidelights turned on to visit the bathroom at night.

At around 7am the door-slamming started. It seems that every door on the seventh floor has a faulty or non-existant slow-closer menchanism. They all slam. Loudly. The walls shake and rattle. Again. And again. And again. From 7am through to 9am, every minute or two.

The previous evening I took a look in the mini-bar and first looked at a mini-bottle of wine. Found it was white wine, not red, so put it back. Pulled out the other bottle of wine and found it was red, as I wanted, but that the bottle was filthy with dust. Put it back too.

Found plenty of dust on the extractor fan in my bathroom too.

For the price, style and nature of the hotel I expected a better television in the rooms. I did not specifically note what size it was, but I would be guessing at around 20 to 30 inches. It seemed very small for the room. More surprising was the extremely limited number of channels. I expected there to be at least a full set of Sky channels and all Freeview channels. No. There are about 10 channels only. Again, Premier Inn offer the full Freeview set of channels.

Latest checkout is at noon, but before 11am had arrived my door was knocked by housekeeping. I hadn't put out a Do Not Disturb card, but surely they check the computer system to see who has checked out and who hasn't? Housekeeping were happy to leave me for an hour.

On my bill the next morning, their automatic fridge/mini-bar had tried to charge me for both bottles I had looked at but not opened. As soon as I mentioned it, the two charges were removed without question and, again, extremely politely.

I don't think I'll return even if it's on LateRooms at the same or a lower price. The nearest Premier Inn is in Leicester Square and is better quality and an all-round better experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank superreviewer186363
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear superreviewer186363,

I was sorry to learn that not all your expectations were met this time, and would like to reassure you that I have taken your comments on board. It is our aim to achieve a level of service which is beyond our guests’ expectations, and I am therefore grateful you have advised me of this valuable feedback.
I sincerely hope you will change your mind and decide to give us a second opportunity, and should that be the case, I would be grateful if you could contact me direct, so that I can personally oversee your stay with us. In the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very smooth booking and good deal with Hotels direct. Hotel is easy walking distance to Covent Garden, The Strand and the Theatre district. The London Comedy Club is based in the Hotel and you can get reduced tickets as a resident. The concierge organised local parking for £24 near Lincolns Fields, which would have cost £16 if we had waited until we parked there and phoned the parking company ourselves. Room was clean and well presented with Molten Brown toiletries.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacktim
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Jacktim,

Thank you for the lovely review! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that most of your expectations were met and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a historical building - a former headquarters and rehearsal/recording studio for a major record company and the renowned Philharmonia Orchestra. Walk where karajan, Klemperer and Barbirolli have walked. Location is good - 2 minutes from Holborn tube station and just over 5 minutes to the trendy Covent Garden area. Rooms are traditional and well appointed. Soundproofing is good. Reception and service staff are pleasant and never seem rushed even when busy. Stayed here 3 times during 2012. Scheduled for at least 2 stays in 2013. Great value.

Room Tip: Back rooms are very quiet and restful. Go for one of these, because the area is very built-up and n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Daniel P,

Of the big names you have very kindly pointed out we should also mention Pavarotti...I hope you don't mind!
having said that, you review was a pleasure to read and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto my team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you this year and in the meantime, if I may assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights 11th January, had BOOKED 2 rooms s staying with family with a 3 YEAR old. Firstly we were able to check in early. Our request for extra bed for 3 YEAR old in both rooms had been carried out AND we were given free room upgrade. Rooms adequate size, clean and warm, though individual temperature control ensured you could adjust temp to your liking, for me this was excellent as I find most hotel rooms too hot. We used dining room for breakfast and afternoon tea, plenty of choices at breakfast and afternoon tea was a lovely experience. We treated ourselves to a meal via room service and the food was lovely. The hotel also had the added considering the venue for The London Comedy Club which was fun. Plenty to see and do as the hotel is only a few minutes walk from Covent Garden Markets, Theatre district and the embankment. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Quoted rooms setback Quiet rooms at back of hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bigmamma54,

Glad to hear all your expectations were met and that you had a lovely time with us...your description of our services and facilities was spot on!
I hope it will not be long before we can see you again.