$198
$194
$136
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$190
$345
Rhodes Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$87
Agoda.com
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$119
$105
The Tower(London)(Great Value!)
$198
$96
Orbitz.com
3,424 results
All reviewscovent gardenholborn tube stationgreat locationtheatre breakdrury lanelovely hotelwest endtheatre landleicester squareafternoon teamini barservice chargean upgradecentral locationbooked this hotelstandard roombritish museum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked a £119 double room with LateRooms. This was a 4-star hotel at a lower price than the nearest Premier Inn on the same night. So I took the opportunity to go to a better hotel and at a lower price.

On arrival found that the room didn't have a double bed as booked but instead contained two single beds pushed together. That is a fairly common way to create a king-size double bed and various hotels do it and doesn't especially worry me. But, and this was the odd thing, it was made up as two single beds with single sheets etc. I asked reception to re-make the room as a double. I was told, extremely politely, that this is impossible. I didn't understand why when other hotels do exactly that. They did offer, again extremely politely, to move me to a room with a double bed, but I declined as I had already unpacked and got settled when I noticed the bed.

In hindsight I should definitely have taken the offer of a room move as it was extremely uncomfortable to sleep in. After going to bed around 1am I got to sleep properly at around 4am. I think part of the problem was the pillows which weren't to my liking. This is not specifically the hotel's fault that I like very thin pillows. But I get a "pillow menu" in both Premier Inn and Holiday Inn so I can grab the pillow that suits me best. And I normally pay £60 to £75 for PI and HI.

I did get up once during the night and due to the wiring of the room lights I had to turn on every light in the room and bathroom to get a glass of water. This makes it very bright and unpleasant when all one really needs is one (or a maximum of two) small sidelights turned on to visit the bathroom at night.

At around 7am the door-slamming started. It seems that every door on the seventh floor has a faulty or non-existant slow-closer menchanism. They all slam. Loudly. The walls shake and rattle. Again. And again. And again. From 7am through to 9am, every minute or two.

The previous evening I took a look in the mini-bar and first looked at a mini-bottle of wine. Found it was white wine, not red, so put it back. Pulled out the other bottle of wine and found it was red, as I wanted, but that the bottle was filthy with dust. Put it back too.

Found plenty of dust on the extractor fan in my bathroom too.

For the price, style and nature of the hotel I expected a better television in the rooms. I did not specifically note what size it was, but I would be guessing at around 20 to 30 inches. It seemed very small for the room. More surprising was the extremely limited number of channels. I expected there to be at least a full set of Sky channels and all Freeview channels. No. There are about 10 channels only. Again, Premier Inn offer the full Freeview set of channels.

Latest checkout is at noon, but before 11am had arrived my door was knocked by housekeeping. I hadn't put out a Do Not Disturb card, but surely they check the computer system to see who has checked out and who hasn't? Housekeeping were happy to leave me for an hour.

On my bill the next morning, their automatic fridge/mini-bar had tried to charge me for both bottles I had looked at but not opened. As soon as I mentioned it, the two charges were removed without question and, again, extremely politely.

I don't think I'll return even if it's on LateRooms at the same or a lower price. The nearest Premier Inn is in Leicester Square and is better quality and an all-round better experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank superreviewer186363
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear superreviewer186363,

I was sorry to learn that not all your expectations were met this time, and would like to reassure you that I have taken your comments on board. It is our aim to achieve a level of service which is beyond our guests’ expectations, and I am therefore grateful you have advised me of this valuable feedback.
I sincerely hope you will change your mind and decide to give us a second opportunity, and should that be the case, I would be grateful if you could contact me direct, so that I can personally oversee your stay with us. In the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very smooth booking and good deal with Hotels direct. Hotel is easy walking distance to Covent Garden, The Strand and the Theatre district. The London Comedy Club is based in the Hotel and you can get reduced tickets as a resident. The concierge organised local parking for £24 near Lincolns Fields, which would have cost £16 if we had waited until we parked there and phoned the parking company ourselves. Room was clean and well presented with Molten Brown toiletries.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacktim
Francesco P, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Jacktim,

Thank you for the lovely review! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that most of your expectations were met and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Perfectly located between Covent Garden and Holborn, with easy access to central London and the City, the Kingsway Hall is ideal for both business and leisure travellers. 170 bedrooms offer all the comfort and high class facilities you would expect from a 4 star deluxe hotel.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a historical building - a former headquarters and rehearsal/recording studio for a major record company and the renowned Philharmonia Orchestra. Walk where karajan, Klemperer and Barbirolli have walked. Location is good - 2 minutes from Holborn tube station and just over 5 minutes to the trendy Covent Garden area. Rooms are traditional and well appointed. Soundproofing is good. Reception and service staff are pleasant and never seem rushed even when busy. Stayed here 3 times during 2012. Scheduled for at least 2 stays in 2013. Great value.

Room Tip: Back rooms are very quiet and restful. Go for one of these, because the area is very built-up and no room has a significant view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Daniel P,

Of the big names you have very kindly pointed out we should also mention Pavarotti...I hope you don't mind!
having said that, you review was a pleasure to read and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto my team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you this year and in the meantime, if I may assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights 11th January, had BOOKED 2 rooms s staying with family with a 3 YEAR old. Firstly we were able to check in early. Our request for extra bed for 3 YEAR old in both rooms had been carried out AND we were given free room upgrade. Rooms adequate size, clean and warm, though individual temperature control ensured you could adjust temp to your liking, for me this was excellent as I find most hotel rooms too hot. We used dining room for breakfast and afternoon tea, plenty of choices at breakfast and afternoon tea was a lovely experience. We treated ourselves to a meal via room service and the food was lovely. The hotel also had the added considering the venue for The London Comedy Club which was fun. Plenty to see and do as the hotel is only a few minutes walk from Covent Garden Markets, Theatre district and the embankment. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Quoted rooms setback Quiet rooms at back of hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Bigmamma54,

Glad to hear all your expectations were met and that you had a lovely time with us...your description of our services and facilities was spot on!
I hope it will not be long before we can see you again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Hotel was very clean and well presented. Only a short walk to most places especially covent garden. Breakfast was very good with different choices of food. I have stayed here twice and would definitely stay here again! Staff very friendly! :-)

• Stayed: December 2012
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Dear Paulawils,

Thank you for the lovely review...you made our day!