“a good place to choose when staying in London”
Review of K+K Hotel George

K+K Hotel George
Ranked #211 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vienna, Austria
“a good place to choose when staying in London”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

A lovely Victorian building turned into a comfortable, friendly hotel, located in a small, quiet street in Kensington.
the location is just perfect though many would believe Kensington is not the best place for a London Visit. The Tube Station Earls Courts is just around the corner (with the District and Picadilly Line) and you can reach every place in London very easily.
The service is friendly and fully meets the requirements of a 4* hotel. The buffet breakfast is excellent and in summer you can enjoy a lovely english garden.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the back side of the hotel have a nice view onto the garden
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank andrea_hauptmann
K_K_General_Manager, General Manager at K+K Hotel George, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear andrea_hauptmann,

We very much appreciate your regular patronage of K+K Hotel George for your visits to London. Many thanks for your wonderful review.

Our Spring garden maintenance programme is almost complete for guests to enjoy al fresco time in the garden. The external painting is complete, the trees have been pruned, the patios are now setup with tables, chairs and parasols. The cats are chasing the squirrels. The clocks have gone forward. It must be time for a chilled glass of Chablis!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely

Colm Kelly, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Travel to London frequently, this is the best hotel so far as to cleanliness and the allover standard of the rooms, breakfast and friendliness of staff. Good location regarding buses and Earl's Court tube station. Nice view onto the garden.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael H
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Picked this hotel due to the good reviews but disappointed. It's the little things. As with many places there are steps leading up to the lobby. However, unlike most places, this hotel has a young man in a bellboy uniform who stands like a statue behind the reception desk. We had to laugh everytime we came through the lobby and saw people struggling with their luggage while this worker just stood there. Wonder what his job actually is. I can tell you it isn't making hot coffee. That job is apparently still open. The only way to get anything hot at breakfast is to wait outside the kitchen door and pounce on the wait staff as soon as they come out. It seems none of the coffee burners or chafing dishes work. As for compliments...the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SailingAtLast
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed March 23, 2014

it is always like coming home. I appreciate that a lot of the staff is tehre for years and they recognize you - great Service. The best breakfast buffet you can find, good Quality of Food. I would appreciate if there are some gluten and lactose free products.

Room Tip: room to garden - you hear the birds singing
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at K+K Hotel George. The location is great with Earl's Court right around the corner. I love being able to have a quick meal near my hotel in the evenings, and there are plenty of options near Earl's court.

The staff were friendly and helpful and my room was a decent size for London. I enjoyed the complimentary biscuits with my tea every morning.

The only thing I did not like was having to leave my room key at the reception every time I left the hotel. I prefer taking my key with me, when I go out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna B
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Absolutely fabulous hotel. Couldn't fault it in any way. We are 3 sisters who like to visit London once a year together. This is by far the best hotel we have stayed in. Location was great just 2 mins walk from Earls Court station. From the moment we arrived to be greeted by smiling, friendly staff until we left, all our needs were met...and then some!The building itself is beautiful, open and spacious but the lovely garden is an excellent bonus. It was quiet and peaceful. Breakfast was super, with plenty of cereals, fresh and dried fruit&seeds, fresh bread/rolls&pastries, cold meats, cheeses and cooked breakfast as well as juices and even a Nespresso machine.We found our room to be a bit cramped as I had requested 3 single beds, as opposed to camp bed. Next morning I inquired about possibly changing & we were advised to pack up our stuff and it would be moved into another room by the time we returned...no fuss or hassle. I actually preferred the camp bed as it was a double and our new room had access to the garden-as the weather was glorious while we were there this was just great!Lovely memorable break...not biased but we noted that the manager is Irish too!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front would look out onto the street which is a lovely view and it is a quiet area. Roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
sydney, australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed here for two nights towards the first half of April, 2013 in a Classic Double room and had made the booking directly with the hotel, more or less at the last minute.

I arrived via taxi after having taken the Airport Express from Heathrow Airport. It was interesting to find the hotel located along a quiet street, not something I minded though at the time.

Arrival

There was no assistance provided with luggage and it’s clearly a service that wouldn’t usually be provided here. I carried the luggage up through the hotel entrance. The reception staff had a friendly and welcoming demeanour and I was checked into my room without too much fuss. Again, there was no assistance provided with the luggage as I carried the cases up through the lift and to my room.

The Classic Double Room

Given the older and traditional exterior of the hotel (quite commonly found in London), it was pleasing to find that the room was thoroughly modern in all aspects. The room seemed to be modest in size so it’s surprising to read from previous reviews that the room is considered to be quite big by London standards.

I was a little concerned immediately by the creaky floor, given that it creaked quite obviously everytime that I walked across the room. Perhaps it was one sign of age that the modern refurbishment in the hotel couldn’t cover.

I had booked the double-bed room and it was pleasing to note that it was comfortable and provided a very good night’s sleep. Also, importantly, the room was completely and thoroughly clean with a good job done by housekeeping twice.

The TV was a flatscreen, modestly sized by today’s standards. I was surprised to see the range of channels available from the satellite TV and it was a common experience during my travels throughout Europe. The internet wi-fi access was complimentary but at times seemed quite slow although at times it could be quite fast.

I was pleased to see the modern bathroom to go with the modern bedroom. It was nicely set up with granite used throughout the layout. It was still quite cold at the time in London so the under-floor heating was definitely welcome. There was no rainshower or bathtub in the bathroom (wouldn’t have been enough space to fit a bathtub) but the shower itself was good and Grohe-branded. Toiletries supplied were of a reasonable quality, not the best and certainly not to be considered upmarket.

Soundproofing generally wasn’t an issue from other rooms but I encountered an issue with the noise emanating from the street level on the last morning at about 3 or 4 a.m. and it disturbed my sleep. Perhaps there was a party going on at the time but I could definitely hear the sound of music drifting through. Having said that, the hotel is located in a generally quiet street. There are other rooms with views out towards the gardens but my room looked out directly towards the front entrance and I was only able to see the sight of other buildings, which was not too bad since I’m not used to seeing traditional and older-style buildings such as found in London.

Overall, I’d describe the room as clean, modern and simply styled. I thought the creaking floor was without doubt one of the main issues.

Please note that I have videos of the hotel room, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

Location and Public Areas/Facilities

I found the location to be very convenient and not too far from the main points of interest in the city, as it’s located not too far from the Earls Court Tube station and from there it was not too far to the more central stations such as Westminster and Piccadilly Circus. In the immediate vicinity was Earls Court Road, which has a number of convenient eateries and a grocery is also very nearby too. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens are also located within walking distance, about 1 km away. I initially liked the quiet location of the hotel, along a relatively secluded street so it was disappointing to experience the small incident on the last morning with the noise from the street coming into the room, although it was quiet for the most part during the evenings.

Being a relatively small hotel, there weren’t huge and expansive public areas. I managed to try the hotel restaurant for breakfast. There wasn’t much of wait to get into the breakfast area, as I arrived early. I liked the sight of a good variety of quality English broadsheets in the restaurant entrance area. There was a good variety of food on offer for the breakfast buffet without being extremely comprehensive. The breakfast quality was good but the sausages and hashbrowns seemed a bit dry. The layout, decor and setting was stylish and upmarket with nice views out towards the gardens. I found it perhaps a little too upmarket for my liking.

Staff Service

The staff were friendly on the whole, although some were better than others. I noted that not many of them appeared to be British, not that it mattered. In fact, it was good to see variety in that aspect and expected, as the UK is part of the EU after all. Perhaps given the hotel group’s origins, many of the staff could have been from Austria. I asked for a taxi to be called while checking out and it took me to the Four Seasons in Canary Wharf; I was surprised at the high fare of £40 for the distance covered.

An issue concerned the drop-off and pick-up of room keys each time upon exit and entry of the hotel, something that I certainly was not used to. I had an issue once where upon trying to pick up the room keys, I found quite a long queue for check-in and had to wait a while before picking up the keys so it’s something that could be problematic for anyone entering and exiting the hotel many times during the day.

Conclusion

Overall, I had a very good stay here. In summary, the hotel is a good four-star operation with comfortable and modern rooms. The location of the hotel was good, not right in the centre of London but also mostly in a quiet and relaxed location. A good boutique hotel experience.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room available through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank perryw