“one night stay”

Ranked #258 of 1,069 Hotels in London
st petersburg, United States
“one night stay”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Loved everything about this hotel. The location was good as close to the tube and oxford street to shop and H Pasrk for a stroll. Rooms were comfortable and clean the breakfast buffet was ample and the service with the concierge was excellent

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Guest Relations M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Susan Leslie T

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are really happy to hear you have loved the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a lovely modern and well furnished hotel in a slightly quieter part of London We spent one night at the hotel after visiting Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park. It was a good walk from Marble Arch but there are plenty of buses and Queensway tube station is very close by. The staff were very welcoming and although our room wasn't ready on our arrival we were given complimentary at the bar whilst we waited for the room to be ready. The room was very comfortable overlooking the front of the hotel (Room 315) there was complimentary tea and coffee and also a Nespresso coffee machine with three coffee pods which was a nice touch. The bathroom was a little compact but modern. The walk in shower was great but the shower head is a little low if you are on the tall side but showering wasn't a major problem.
The bed was very comfortable and despite the room being at the front of the hotel (our choice) we had a good nights sleep. The breakfast was very nice with a option of continental or cooked or both if you so wish. There was plenty of choice and something for everybody's individual preference. This as a good hotel just far enough out of the hustle and bustle of the West End but close enough to all of the sights and shops. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark P
Dear Mark P

Sincere thanks for your wonderful review of DoubleTree Hyde Park.

It is great to read you have found the hotel lovely and our team welcoming. I do apologise for a low headroom, most of our ceilings are a little on the low side but we have a few mezzanine floor rooms with high ceilings, please do let us know ahead of the next stay and we will allocate you one of those!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This newly converted DoubleTree is everything a business traveller may want. Excellent big comfy beds, great working space, big plasma tv to relax and of course Free WI-FI that actually works! Aside from that, great customer service and the location is exceptional, 3 minutes away from 3 tube stations and on the door steps of Kensington Gardens. A great "home" away from home and will definetively be returning!

Dear htlpab

Thank you for posting your review of DoubleTree Hyde Park.

We are so happy you thought beds were big and comfy, working space was great and it is absolutely wonderful to hear a comment about the customer service being exceptional!

I sincerely hope we will welcome you back very soon.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a good hotel for a stay in London. Close to Hyde Park and a short walk to 2 tube stations. Rooms are a little on the small side, but trying to find a large room in London can be a challenge! I would stay here again.

Dear adamweb22

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it is great to hear you would return, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back!!

With kindest regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The hotel was clean but I could always hear what is going around me on the floor. Breakfast was repetitive. Expensive room rate to the service received. No in-room entertainment other than regular television

Dear Talal I

Thank you for your review. We always aim to offer the most competitive price and I am sorry to read your comment in relation to service. I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly on Tanja.Furby@Hilton.com to discuss further.

With kindest regards
Fishers, IN
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We spent six nights at this property, beginning November 30 through December 6.

Having arrived around noon after a sleepless Transatlantic flight, both my toddler daughter and I were desperate to get checked into our room and crawl into bed. As my husband is Hilton Hhonors Diamond, we are used to being afforded the luxury of an early check-in. However, we were told we couldn't check in any earlier than 2:00, so, heavily disappointed, we left our bags at bell services to go in search of a very sleepy lunch around the corner.

When we returned a little before 2:00, we found we were given a room on a low floor. We requested a higher floor, so we wouldn't be disturbed by construction noise (they were replacing the external steps during our stay). After a few moments, we were moved to the fifth floor. No executive floor upgrades available, unfortunately.

The room itself was very comfortable by London standards. Not huge, but more than ample for the three of us. Our King-sized bed was quite comfortable. The room had a modern TV, was very clean, had a large wardrobe, small table, safe, and a very nice Nespresso machine. The room (511) was obviously recently updated, and was sparkling clean and had no signs of wear.

One disappointment was the lack of a bathtub, so our two-year old daughter learned to take showers at this hotel. As always at a Doubletree, Crabtree and Evelyn bath goods are available.

Breakfast every day was included in our rate given my husband's Diamond Status. The breakfast was ample and delicious, with bacon, sausages, hash browns, eggs, many juices, fruits, cold meats, pastries and cereals. The wait staff circulated with orange juice, coffee, and tea. However, if the breakfast was not included in the price, it wouldn't have been worth the 17.50 pounds per person daily.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and always offered a cookie to our daughter.

The primary troubles were regarding the fire alarms during our visit. Our first experience was Sunday morning. I was showering with our 2-year old when the fire alarm started blaring. Having always been taught to take fire alarms seriously, I hurriedly dressed myself and her, and headed immediately (dripping wet) for the stairs. Halfway down the stairs, I encountered a worker who told me it was just an alarm test.

Wow. That is the sort of thing that would have been really nice to know, don't you think? Okay, these things happen, I thought to myself. So, we returned to the room to get dressed properly.

Tuesday afternoon I returned to the hotel with her for her nap time. Sure enough, the fire alarm went off moments after I got her to sleep. I called down to the desk to inquire, and (again) they said it was a test. Once more, this would have been nice to know. No sooner had I gotten her back to sleep, than the alarm went off AGAIN. This was becoming frustrating.

Wednesday afternoon, guess what, this happened a third time. At this point I was ready to switch hotels, as it was becoming a bit much. When my husband returned that evening, I asked him to speak to the front desk. They indicated that the Wednesday test was the normal weekly test, and there shouldn't be any more. Fortunately, that was the final incident, but to not alert guests of frequent and repeated fire alarmtests in advance, even via a note under the door, is unacceptable.

If you need to return to the room for afternoon naps due to the needs of small children, I would avoid this hotel until they get their fire alarm situation sorted out.

If you do not need to be in the hotel during afternoon hours, the otherwise it is a fantastic hotel in an unbeatable location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wenpie
Dear wenpie

Thank you for your review. I am of course disappointed to hear about some aspects of your stay and would like to offer you the full explanation as well as my sincere apologies.

Whilst we always prioritise our loyal HHonors members, during the busy time and with our check out being a leisurely noon, it is simply not possible to get rooms ready before 2pm, particularly in the specific category. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee an early access to the room is to preregister the night before. As for executive floor upgrade, we cannot offer this simply because here at DoubleTree Hyde Park we do not have executive rooms nor floors. Please do let me know if you have been advised / promised otherwise and I will follow this up, hotel does not promise this facility, never has nor have any plans to introduce in future. All our rooms have been finished to the same high standard, with custom made soft furnishings, top of the range equipment and finishing touches such as Nespresso machines.

Please let me apologise for the number of fire alarms experienced during your stay, whilst Wednesday alarm is a weekly feature, in line with Fire Safety requirements and guests are advised, among other, via 7ft banner in the lift lobby, we also had new rooms comissioning inspection and an annual inspection during this week. Unfortunately, these inspections required us to demonstrate working fire alarms. Please accept my apologies for this disturbance, the alarms are newly commissioned and in perfect working order so and hopefully, until next inspection, the only disturbance will remain Wednesday 3pm weekly alarm test.

Thank you also for nothing the comfort of the room, again I am sorry to read your comments about the lack of the bathtub as whilst we do not have them in every room category (most of our guests have indicated shower preference, so the majority of rooms were refurbished with large walk in showers), we do have a number of rooms with bath available. I am very sorry if the front desk team failed to offer you this upon request, as we have even specifically configured our system to show this feature, for ease of assisting guests who prefer baths.

I do sincerely hope that this goes some way in restoring your confidence and you will return to DoubleTree Hyde Park soon; please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Tanja.Furby@Hilton.com if I could be of any further assistance.

With kind regards
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had difficulty locating this hotel as although the address is given as Bayswater Road the entrance is actually in St Petersburg Place. A sign at the front of the hotel might be a good idea!!
Checked in by Paul who made no mention of our Gold Card status and allocated us a standard room on the first floor. I then enquired if the usual upgrade for gold card members was available but was assured that the hotel was "completely full" and an upgrade was not possible. Standard room was fine but soon discovered that TV was not working due to problem with the remote. Tried to dial 0 for reception but discovered this not to be working either. Then tried the Careline 555 which is supposed to help with guest problems only to discover that it was not working either!
Walked down to reception to be told that there was a problem with the telephone systems and a maintenance man would fix the TV problem which he subsequently did.
I then decided to check Hilton.co.uk for room availability for the two nights of our stay and was surprised to discover that 4 separate rooms types were available including superior rooms. The hotel was clearly far from being "completely full". Returned again to reception and presented this evidence to Paul who was however unrepentant and became quite tetchy. The duty manager was called for and, surprise surprise, a superior room had become available after all. It did not have a telephone but this was not an issue for us as the system wasn't working anyway.
This was not a pleasant experience at this hotel and at the end of the day I would prefer honesty over any room upgrade. Thanks to the duty manager for sorting this out but as previous reviewers have indicated, a little more training to reception personnel, Paul in particular, is urgently required.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple