“Reasonable hotel but only at a discount” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing

DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing
Ranked #218 of 1,089 Hotels in London
dubai
“Reasonable hotel but only at a discount”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed there one night in order to go to a concert in Shepherds Bush. The train connection are good from Ealing to central London.
The rooms are probably the smallest we have ever stayed in, and acceptable for one night. I cannot imagine staying there any longer without suffering claustrophobia. There are no drawers for clothes or room to put a suitcase. The shower room is around 1.5 metres wide and 3 metres long. I assume the rationale is that most guests would be out all day and room size doesn't matter.
The rack rate for a standard room, as per the hotels notice, was £299 per night without breakfast and parking, but it is unlikely anyone would pay that but this is exorbitant by any standards. We booked via the Hilton website and paid around £115 per night, without breakfast or parking.
Parking at £20 for over 9 hours is also expensive.
When we got back late evening the bar was open but crowded with a large drunken group so we opted not to have a nightcap.
Free Wi-Fi in the lobby was good as there is a charge for an in room connection.
An average hotel with a reasonable location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Matthew W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear alanlecoyte,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you were able to find one of our regular offers to book on and that it proved value for money. I am sorry that you found the standard room a little small for your liking but we do have larger rooms available at a supplement for those who require more space.

The parking charge you mentioned is actually for non residents. All hotel residents get a discounted price of £12.50 for 24 hours. I assume that because of this you did not use the car park - whoever if you did and were incorrectly charged then please contact the hotel directly so we can look into that for you.

We are a very busy hotel that caters for a wide variety of people. I am sorry that you felt you could not enjoy the bar on your return because of other guests.

We do hope that you return to us if you are ever in the area again.

Matt Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is clean and the staff is helpful and friendly. It is an easy walk from the nearest metro line and offers a delicious warm breakfast. The fitness facility has the basics but offers several cardio machines. The rooms are very clean and well appointed but are small by American Doubletree standards.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank James N
Matthew W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear James N,

Thank you for leaving us your great review after your recent stay here with us.

I am pleased that you found it enjoyable. We do hope to be able to welcome you back on your next visit to the UK.

Limassol, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed there with my wife for 7 nights its closed to the metro station and you can go easily in the town center, the rooms was clean and the people was kind with us, there is free internet downstairs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear YiannosEfst,

Thank you or leaving your feedback after your break with us.

I am so pleased to read that you had a good time and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stay here for many reasons: good car park; just opposite a Piccadilly Line station which takes us to the RA and central London; very nice and helpful staff; good breakfasts; pleasant ambience and comfortable, modern rooms (albeit a little on the small side).

Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chemistatlarge
Dear chemistatlarge,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed here for a week in June while in London (multiple areas) on business. I picked this hotel initially based on the good reviews and what looked to be a good logistical location for different areas in and around London. This proved to be exactly true - what an excellent location just a few minutes walk from both Ealing Common (underground) and Ealing Broadway (underground and rail) stations. Easy access to the Central, Picadilly, and District lines and UK Rail. That is part of what made this location so good - PLENTY of options to get wherever I needed to be in and around London, and always easy to get back to.

Something else that was a pleasant surprise was how professional, friendly, and helpful all of the staff were - staying there that long, I pretty much dealt with all areas - from front desk to dining to maintenance to housekeeping and all the way up to the General Manager. Everyone with whom I dealt couldn't have been more accommodating. I had a few relatively minor issues with my room upon check-in and the first day, not enough to disturb the stay, but upon meeting the General Manager Matt Williams in the lobby the next morning, I did bring them up when he asked how my stay was. He ensured that everything was fixed to my satisfaction and went out of his way to ensure the rest of the stay was above and beyond normal expectations and he succeeded - even got an invite to the Friday afternoon reception they have, that was really nice.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are somewhat small - would be tough for two people to store everything they needed if staying for more than a few days - but that's not a negative to the hotel - just what it is. It was enough room for me for my stay, but couldn't have had much more. The bathroom was also fairly small, but enough room for me, and everything was kept VERY clean, and that is the biggest factor for me.

I had breakfast in the hotel dining room every day, and while it was busy they kept it moving, and had ample room for all the guests, and the food was typically stocked and replenished as needed. A couple of times you had to wait for a few items to be brought out, but never more than a few minutes. And the staff there were so courteous that it wasn't an issue.

The neighborhood location of the hotel was also good - this part of Ealing is more of a working-class neighborhood, so not crammed with tourists or touristy attractions. There were a decent number of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, and I tried most of them while there - by far my favorite was "The Grange" just a few blocks walk across the Ealing Common park (also a very nice sight - all the greenery and park space right in the city). Great selections and more than just pure pub food, and very nice environs inside and out - even had a nice large patio outside for seating and eating. There was also an Italian restaurant "Dante" that was quite authentic (in a good way) and very reasonably priced. The owner appeared to be from Italy, and the menu selections showed it.

The hotel looks a bit dated from the outside, but they have done a great job refurbishing the inside - all the common areas looked brand new, and the rooms - especially the bathrooms looked to have been recently updated as well. Really, the only non-positive (won't call it a negative, because it can't be helped) for the stay was the size of my room - there are others that are larger, but this was one of the standard rooms. But not enough of a detriment at all to keep me from staying here again next time I'm in London. Also - a huge plus was that since the hotel is not in central London, the prices were considerably less than comparable hotels closer in, but you were no more than 30 minutes away via any of the three tube lines. Again, the location and price for the location can't be beat. I would definitely stay here again if in London, and will recommend it to others. Thanks again to the GM Matt and his staff for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Views are nicer at the front of the hotel overlooking the park, but maybe a bit noisier with the mai...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Travel_Reviewer20
Matthew W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Travel_Reviewer20

Thank you very much for leaving us your feedback after your business trip to London.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we ironed out the niggles at the start of your stay and that you were well looked after for the remainder.

It was a pleasure having you with us and also attending our Friday Ealing event. As I even get a mention in this review I will ensure it goes to the top of our list on our feedback notice board!!

Thank you again and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights and were very happy with the experience. All members of staff are very helpful and friendly, great attitude of service. Easy to walk to the tube ( actually there are 2 different Ealing stops - Ealing Common is closer to the hotel, also Ealing Broadway for the Central line). Sainsbury market near Ealing Common. Excellent buffet breakfast. To leave for Heathrow, we paid only 26 pounds, pre-arranged price, for a minicab that we booked, the minicab office is next to Ealing Common, or ask at hotel reception. Free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank manhattan1959
Dear manhattan1959,

Thank you for leaving your comments after your recent break here with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and made full use of our location close to the major transport links.

We hope to be able to welcome you back on your return visit to the UK.

Wheeling, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for almost 2 weeks last may. I liked almost everything about this hotel. First of all it's just 5 minutes away from the Ealing Commons tube station, and from there it takes only 30 minutes to get to Central London. Hotel stuff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are small (not very small), but very clean and cosy. They have complimentary computers downstairs and free WI- Fi. Continental breakfast is a little boring (same food every day), but it's much better than in most US hotels. My only advise to the management, would be training their cleaning team to pay more attention when to leave bathroom supplies, especially soap. It's a minor inconvenience though. I gave them my Tripadvisor sticker. When next time in London this hotel will be definitely on my list again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear yassou86,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments after your recent break with us.

I am delighted to read that on a whole you enjoyed the experience. I will check with the housekeeping team to clear up the amenity issue you mentioned.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards