“Average” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #432 of 1,086 Hotels in London
newbury, berkshire
“Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I arrived slightly earlier than check in hoping to freshen up and dump my stuff in the room prior to heading out to a meeting and evening dining. This wasn't to be, no rooms available at the moment she told me, the guests before me and the guests after me - I suspect their policy is not to check anyone in until after 3pm, I just dont believe they had no rooms available. So I sat in the very small dated restaurant to eat my M&S salad, whilst there 3 ladies were having lunch, the food looked very good unlike the decor. I then had to leave so asked to use the facilities to be told someone was alreay using them!?! I was confused, apparently they had one room you could use for the toilet and to freshen up - another guest was using it, the receptionist did say they had only gone to use the toliet - I was slightly put off by this and there was no guarantee they would be in a hurry like me so I headed out to my meeting. On arriving back at the hotel at approx. 22.30 I was quickly given my key so headed up to bed. Got to the door, key didnt work so back to reception where they configured the key again and the chap on reception came up with me, he let me in this time as clearly I am stupid and didnt know how to unlock the door. Once inside, I got a shock - 4 beds, I had be given a family room which was ok apart from the fact it had a very strong cigarette smell, not pleasant at all and room very dated indeed. Then a call from reception to ask if everything was ok? Yes I replied not point in moaning at this hour! I must have drifted off at about midnight to be woken be someone having the same problem as me with their key. check out was straight forward, paid and left. Staff very unhelpful, miserable and rude. The hotel was going through a major refurbishment so maybe the rooms will have improved soon, not sure about the staff attitude though. And it was very cheap for the location. I wont be staying here again and will certainly not be recommending it either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank LovelyTracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is very close to the Queensway tube station, Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and many restaurants. We loved the quiet area and wonderful staff. The rooms were extremely clean, comfy beds and plenty of room (especially for Europe). Our room was right in front of the elevator and it was still very quiet at night. We didn't eat at the restaurant because it was a bit pricey. However, there are many restaurants nearby that have great food. If you don't mind a brisk walk Portabello Market is not too far away.

Room Tip: We stayed on a lower floor and had no issues with noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LibraryGirlVA
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

In January 2013, I went to London for my daughter's wedding. I went through Virgin Vacations and stayed at The Lancaster Gate. This hotel is about one block away from everything you need. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens are a few minutes walk away, there are plenty of buses and of course the "tube."
If you walk across Hyde Park, you will come to the British Museum, and the Museum of Science and Industry.
The hotel itself is very attractive and comfortable.
Breakfast is included and they have a huge buffet with everything you might want or need. Everything was healthy and cooked to perfection, and their 24 hour food service was wonderful.
This hotel is a little expensive by American standards, but for London it was very reasonable. (About $150.00 a night)
A couple of important [points to remember...if you ask for a "single room," in England, that's probably what you'll get. My room was fairly small and the bed was a single, but it was incredibly comfortable.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the pound is very strong against the dollar right now. When you look at prices they seem similar to prices here, but the pound is actually worth about $1.60.

If you plan on using public transport...which is a must in London...buy an Oyster Card. This is a card that can be purchased at any tube station and will give you free train and bus rides almost everywhere. The oyster card is zone -based, but if you travel out of the zone, you will just pay a small surcharge. A weekly card costs about $70.00, but it is well worth it.
Another great value is a 24-hour London Bus Tour. The bus includes an on board guide who will point out various sites, and you can get on and off at will. The company also offers discount tickets to some attractions, and when you buy ahead, you don't have to wait in line.
If you plan to take advantage of as many values as possible, a trip to London doesn't have to cost a fortune.
You also need to know about "tax-free" shopping. You will see signs at a number of stores and this is a valuable accommodation. Residents of the UK have to pay VAT (value added tax) which amounts to 20% on most purchases. (not food) As a visitor, you are eligible for a refund for this tax, which you can process at most International airports.
The 3 Golden rules concerning Tax Free shopping

-The correct form must be completed at the point of sale
-The customer must leave the EU within 3 months after the month of purchase
-The customer must spend the minimum amount set by the store (in most cases 30 pounds)

This is only good for purchases that you are bringing back home.

Have fun in London!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cautiousadventurer09
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just a little away from the West End but worth the ten minute walk from tube (Lancaster Gate)
Even with hotel refurb going on, didn't notice a thing.
Rooms OK but not spacious, staff helpful (no complaints) but breakfast which is, as always, a let down in these places - although you get fed you feel it's not a meal - you're sat, you go get, you nosebag - there's no interest from the staff and the food is nothing to write home about.
But food is passable, just. Stayed in much better hotels with just as ordinary breakfast.
In Spring or Summer if you can walk the mile or so round or through Hyde Park this could be just the place - it's quiet location is key.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel was alright. We spent three nights there and booked a no-smoking room, very important since one of us have asthma. Our room was in the back of the hotel, facing the backyard. An unpleasant smell hit our faces when we stepped into our corridor and our room. We now know that they put us in a room where smoking was allowed! No wonder one of us got sick...
Other than that the room was pretty clean, roomy, had a safety box which is good. The bed was too hard for our taste. We had breakfast at the hotel and the buffet had pretty much to choose from, but we weren't very impressed..
Staff was nice and helpful. Location is good! Altogether it was an alright stay, but not more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel was just what we needed - near the tube, handy enough for Heathrow, in central London. The room itself had what we needed - fridge, bath with plenty hot water, desk, table and chairs and comfy beds. The only thing I felt uneasy about was the message that the hotel was not responsible for any belongings that went missing either in the room or from the (small) safe. Nothing went missing but I felt uneasy leaving my computer with that message. We enjoyed the meals on offer at a very reasonable cost. Very friendly, helpful staff and a quiet street and room - what more could you ask for? Oh yes! a good price!!

Room Tip: 1st floor was quiet for us.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
oldham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

once again another excellent stay at this hotel.
we really cant fault anything , except ,perhaps, we went down for breakfast one morning and there was a party of young people sitting round a table actually making ham sandwiches, presumably for their lunch , we thought that this was very rude and perhaps the management should have mentioned something to them , they were literally taking piles of bread and ham from the buffet .
apart from that we had an excellent breakfast every day .
The hotel is situated close to the underground and there is lots to see and do

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends