“It served a purpose”

Lancaster Gate Hotel
Ranked #449 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed at the Lancaster Gate Hotel in order to attend a concert in Hyde Park. The hotel was very close to Hyde Park and to tube station so location was ideal.

We arrived at the hotel too early to get into room, but were able to check in and leave our luggage. The staff on reception were very pleasant.

After a quick drink at the bar we made our way to hyde park. Drinks were average price for a London bar.

When we arrived back at the hotel after the concert there were a couple of people waiting to check in but the queue moved very quickly.

We were given our room number and told it was on the basement level! So down in the lift we went!.

The room was tiny to say the least, probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in!

The fittings were a bit dated but the room was spotlessly clean, with everything you would need for an overnight stay including an iron and tea and coffee making facilities.

The TV did not work in our room, we could not get a signal, probably because we were in the basement.

When we woke in the morning it was so dark I thought it must be an awful day, we couldn't see anything out of our windows apart from walls! But when we went upstairs the sun was blasting out, just not getting down to the basement level!!

Breakfast was good, the usual servings of hot english, cereals and fruit and some continental items, staff worked hard as the restaurant was quite busy.

All in all an ok stay and served its purpose, I would probably stay there again if I went to the concert again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Watfordweekenders
Write a ReviewReviews (2,208)

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for one night when visitng London for a concert at Hyde Park. Was in a great location for Hyde Park and was only around 20 minutes walk to Oxford Street. The hotel rooms where a bit dated but were spotless and had everything that was needed. Would definately consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed one night at the Lancaster Gate Hotel for a business trip. It was a perfectly adequate business hotel, I had a decent size and the breakfast was fine, with plenty of choice. The decor of the room was a bit dated but it was clean and tidy. The air conditioning was a bit loud, especially at night but it did not detract from my sleep.
Check-in was a bit slow, I arrived around 2.30pm and there were lots of people in reception so I had to wait ten minutes.
The location is brilliant; I had meetings close to Hyde Park Corner so was able to walk for 30 minutes from the hotel to the meeting through Hyde Park. Great location!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Paulamcm, Manager at Lancaster Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Gate Hotel and for taking the time to publish your review.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the location of the hotel. We are constantly striving to improve our customer satisfaction/care and have duly noted your comments.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Lancaster Gate Hotel and we hope to be able to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

June 11 - check-in after taking three planes from Mallorca. "Your reservation has been cancelled". The "manager" walks away leaving the terribly mannered young man punching at his computer, making no eye contact, telling me to contact Hotels.com, "there's a problem with your card". Reservation is cancelled. Having been on the road since May 24, I did not live and breath my emails, and had the misfortune of missing a Hotel.com email dated June 9th - TWO days before arrival informing me that Lancaster Gate is having trouble with my VISA and unless I contact them immediately, my reservation "could" be cancelled" - TWO days before arrival - to tell me there is a problem with my card! I booked it in April, lots of time to check it out! Thankfully a third staff member, lovely young minion, called the Commodore Hotel just around the corner, and we were able to get a room there. I highly recommend Commodore, but wouldn't stay or recommend Lancaster Gate to anyone ever.

Room Tip: Don' stay at the Lancaster Gate
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank JanusDT
Paulamcm, General Manager at Lancaster Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review on Trip Advisor we welcome all feedback and use it to improve our customer care/satisfaction.
I am a little confused by your review as we do not check the credit cards given to us to Hotels.com - they would do this on confirmation of the booking and then send us an alternative Hotels.com number to charge which is then processed on your departure -therefore if you were contacted by Hotels.com 2 days prior to your arrival then this was not on instruction from the hotel. For the confusion you encountered on your arrival I apologise but I would be delighted if you you would contact me directly at the hotel so that I can investigate this further.
Thank you once again for taking the time to use Trip Advisor and I hope that we will be able to establish the problem behind your cancelled reservation.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Despite other reviews, I must say this hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Well, maybe the furniture would need some extra attention... but nothing else more to say as negative.
Assuming London is huge and there is all over something to see, the position is great. The neighborhood seamed secure - at least we have had no incident what's so ever. Also, you will find some very handy connections (by tube/300m or by bus/50m).
The quality of the hotel is very good, in all terms: clean room, silence, friendly staff, excellent breakfast.
Thank you for your kind attention. We will come back to stay!
Best regards,
Silviu

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank psilviu
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Roomy well equipped rooom. Clean. Efficient staff. Inefficient lifts. Breakfast was rather disappointing - average rather than good.

I discovered too late that guests have free access to a nearby leisure centre which they claim has a fabulous pool.

Locationwise, it is a bit of a walk from Paddington but through an area with a lot of cheap restaurants. It lies at the Western end of Lancaster Gate and I am sure Queensway is the nearest tube station not Lancaster Gate as the hotel claim. It is not the most convenient location but is close to Kensington Gardens and if you can get a good deal on the price is worth considering.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Paulamcm, Manager at Lancaster Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay at Lancaster Gate Hotel, and taking the time to review your stay – we welcome all guest feedback.
I was surprised to read your comments about breakfast as we have received very favourable reviews regarding the standard of breakfast but we would certainly welcome some more feedback on this so please feel free to contact us directly.
With regards to the location of the hotel it is subject to why or what you are visiting London for in terms of convenience but as mentioned we have enviable transport links for travel all around London and to all major airports.
Once again thank you for your comments and your time and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Lancaster Gate Hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for four nights and were very pleased with the services the staff provided. The room was spacious and clean. Although there were constructions outside, we stayed during the bank holiday weekend so that didn't bother us. Location of the hotel is just perfect. This will be our first choice when we visit again next year!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Paulamcm, Manager at Lancaster Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Lancaster Gate Hotel.
We are constantly striving to improve our customer satisfaction and welcome all feedaback.
We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Lancaster Gate Hotel in 2012