“Small items deprive the hotel of 5 stars” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental London Park Lane

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #134 of 1,089 Hotels in London
NE US
“Small items deprive the hotel of 5 stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My wife and I stay at Intercontinental hotels a lot and we spent 2 nights here Halloween weekend. In general you can count on a nice well-kept room and good service at an intercontinental, but the intercontinental hotels vary in getting the 4 vs 5 star bits right. Our room was nice (a superior room with a park view). I love the non-fogging mirror in the shower that allowed one to shave in a steamy bathroom. The staff was friendly and we had a nice stay. The elevators were fast; we stayed on the top floor and never had a long wait or a ride stopping at ever floor. The location is fine for some shopping, but is away from the Theatre district and the active part of town. The small things that irked us for an expensive hotel were the turn-down service did not leave a sweet treat, neither the soaps nor shampoo etc. were replaced or additional ones put in the room each day and there was no complimentary newspaper (or if there was we were not advised of it at check-in). Otherwise, a nice luxury stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
new delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel is perfect if you want to stroll to Knightsbrige in the evening or take a walk for a nice dinner . Located in the heart of the city, near to marble arch and knightsbrige it is perfect for shopping to. But if of normal bugget then this is not the one. Though perfect for your business meeting. The rooms are large compared to many London hotes. Large means really good size. Did not had the breakfast as there are so many beautifull cafes just a few steps away. The underground is not very far.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

I needed 2 rooms for customers and me and found a fabulous rate with Hotel Pronto which I got from a link on the Travel Supermarket website. I'd have never paid the £350+ other sites and the hotels own site were offering. The location is brilliant. Right on the corner of Piccadilly and Park Lane. Everything about the hotel is right for a 5star in central London. While I was there some Sheik had a corridor on my floor to himself with a personal bodygaurd to stop the rest of us wandering down outside one of his bedrooms. That should tell you something about both the standard of the hotel and the clientele. My room was small but perfect. I asked for quiet room with feather pillows but without a view and got it. Silent so slept well. I also asked for late check out which was not a problem for them. Being a persistent (others might say frequent) traveller, I have seen pretty much everything go wrong. So I called the hotel a couple of days before to make sure the booking agent (Hotel Pronto) had done their bit. I was unahppy to discover the hotel had no record of the booking. There then ensued a blizzard of mails and calls between me, the agent and the hotel which only culminated with confirmation from the hotel on the day of the stay itself. The lesson for me is - if you want a cheap rate from an internet agency check and double check early on that the reservations actually reached the hotel. I will defintely go back if the price is right or someone else pays.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bellevue
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

Staff was great going the extra mile to provide great service. Location is ideal for those interested in walking- you can see all the major sites of the city within 1 hour. The rooms were very clean the beds comfortable and they were helpful in holding some luggage for 2 weeks prior to our visit at no cost and going out of their way to help us after 2 weeks doing a medical mission. They have a great but expensive high tea and a wonderful chicken Caesar salad in the bar. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Great location at Hyde park corner, perfect for a tourist trip or a business trip. Managed to do 4 meetings in they day that I was checking out and still left for the airport by 6. Very convenient. The staff is pretty good and very chatty. Had the great time checking in with the Italian receptionist who recommended a holiday destination in Italy. This is one of the things that I really like about the intercon, the staff have a life beyond the hotel and a horizon that is broader.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed for two nights at the Intercon Park Lane. As it was my first time in London in quite a long time, I appreciated its location. It was easy to walk to Piccadilly Circus and the tube stop was around the corner. The tube stop, Hyde Park Corner, also goes to the airport. I also felt safe walking in the neighorbood. I walked back once from Marble Arch back down to the Intercon at night and there were plenty of cars and people.

The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are nice. I was upgraded to a superior room as I am a Platinum Ambassador. The room was a decent size and the decor was modern and fresh. It had a nice flat screen television. Internet access was available for a fee and so was breakfast so I opted to go out to eat and use the internet at cafes.

During the first night, as I was quite exhausted from the overseas flight, I was awakened at 2 or 3 am by what sounded like a jackhammer. Thinking that it was coming from outside, I looked out the window. Not seeing anything, I opened my door to understand that someone was polishing the floor in front of the elevator bank. Although I was at least 6 or 7 rooms down from the elevator bank lobby, the noise was enough that it woke me up! I called downstairs and was told that the night cleaning staff was polishing the floors (who polishes floors at 3am) and that they would ask them to stop. I believe I must have been the only person on the floor because no one else came out of their rooms. After 20 minutes, the polishing/jackhammering was still continuinng so I called down again and was told that it would stop. Again, the elevator lobby is not that big -- how long does it take to polish the floor? I waited another 20 minutes and it didn't stop and at this point, I became very annoyed and called again and it stopped shortly thereafter allowing me to fall asleep around 4 or 5 am. I would have ranked the hotel lower if I had not received exceptional customer service following this incident. I was awakened the next morning (around 9) by one of the managers who apologized for the inconvenience and offered to move me to another room away from the elevator lobby. When I stated that I did not want to pack my belongings or go through the hassle of moving, the manager offered to send someone up to help pack my belongings and move me. When I returned home later that evening, I picked up a key card to my new room and was surprised to see that I had been upgraded to a suite and given club room access. The bedroom was sufficiently removed from the hallway so that I had a excellent night's sleep. My only regret is that I did not have more time to enjoy the suite. I was also credited points for this stay. The end result was that I left the next day refreshed and quite satisfied with the service that I had received.

I understand that customer service at hotels can be hit or miss. I appreciated the fact that the management recognized that I had been inconvienced and made it right. Sadly, I know I will not receive such attentiveness every time I travel, but the management's response made my stay enjoyable and I would return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank citoyennea
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Don't be fooled by the internet photos. This is not a 5-star hotel. But, it's pretty good.

The rooms are smaller than you get in America but the bathrooms are comparable so its a trade off.

If I have to chose...I'll take a smaller bedroom if I get an American-sized bathroom in return. I like a larger bathroom. But, if you like a larger bedroom and a smaller bathroom, this may not be the hotel for you.

We didn't have any problems with our room. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and we had the proper amenities. The room had a flat-screen television set and, since we aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack, we spent more time trying to figure out how to operate the remote control then we spent actually watching the television set.

Our room had a balcony with a nice view but the big selling feature (for us) was that it was quiet (which meant we could sleep in peace). I urge you to take this into consideration if London is your first stop. It's a mightly long flight and you are jet lagged for a couple of days. Don't discount the importance of a quiet hotel room. The hotel is sandwiched between two buildings which appears to muffle outside sound.

But, this means that you don't get a stunning view of London. In fact, you don't get much of a view at all. Again, if a view is important, this may not be the hotel for you. You will not see anything from this hotel, except a park.

The hotel is across the street from Green Park. From Green Park, you can walk to Buckingham Palace. But, it's a long walk to Buckingham Palace. About 5-7 minutes, so be prepared. And, you have to walk. There is no other way to get to Buckingham Palace.. But, as a side nto, you're not going to get much closer to Buckingham Palace no matter where you stay.

We liked the hotel and we would stay again. The staff was friendly and the location was good. We think we paid a fair price for what we got.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple