“Not as 5-star as it thinks.”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #153 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Chicago, Illinois
“Not as 5-star as it thinks.”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed here in October, 2010 for a couple of nights. Overall, it was fine, but the hotel bills itself as a 5-star place. It did not match the quality of other 5-star (or even other 4-star) hotels that I have stayed in, especially from a service perspective.

The stay got off to a bad start. We arrived around 10:30p. Upon arriving, we were not offered assistance with our luggage as we entered the hotel's lobby, nor was the door held for us (I'm fine with that at a Hampton Inn, but this place bills itself as five-star. Walking in the door without being greeted or offered luggage assistance would not happen at, say, the Four Seasons). Our check-in experience was not pleasant. The clerk barely spoke English, and she was only half engaged in our check-in because she kept inserting herself into the check-in happening next to us (where the guest was complaining). This kept up until her colleague working with the other guest silenced her, saying, "I've got it."

I am a Platinum member with Priority Club, the loyalty program of InterContinental. As such, I expect that, like other hotel chains, I'll be treated pretty well during my stay in thanks for staying with the chain a lot. This includes my room and reservation preferences being honored. I had requested, using award points, a non-smoking room with one king bed. My room preferences call for high floor, away from elevator. The clerk attempted to check us into a smoking room with two double beds on the first floor -- I can understand that the hotel might not be able to meet the high floor request, but come on: a smoking room with two beds, when the reservation is for a nonsmoking room with one bed? Give me a break -- awful for ANY guest, particularly bad for a guest who's in the top-tier of your loyalty program. When I raised this issue with the clerk, she began this whole line of saying, "well, you're here on points," as if using the points I'm awarded by the hotel chain makes me some kind of second-class citizen. When I pressed for a better room, she began to talk about how full the hotel was, etc., but then when I refused the room I'd been assigned she magically found a king room, non-smoking, on a high floor! (Magic!) I then had to endure a lecture from her about how "lucky" I was to get such a nice room. Spare me.

Obnoxiously, upon check-in I was also offered the chance to access the hotel's concierge lounge. For 95 British pounds a night! 95! This doesn't really bother me -- I wasn't expecting lounge access because I know InterContinental to be stingy with it, but it's in such contrast to a stay I had at a Hilton property in London only a few days before, where -- despite staying on points (gasp!) -- I was put, with the hotel's compliments, on a concierge floor, given access to an amazing lounge, and my room preferences were met. All without having to ask. Makes clear which loyalty program I should stick with -- Hilton made clear its priority was customer satisfaction, while InterContinental made extremely clear through the check-in process that its priority was revenue.

Admittedly, the room to which we were assigned was very nice -- elegant furnishings, high-quality finishes, a fabulous view of Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, etc. It was tiny, however -- cruise ship size. The bathroom was very nice, with a great rain shower. Linens were also very high quality.

After our late arrival and lengthy check-in experience, we ordered room service. It was a rip off, which I've come to expect at hotels like this. I was willing to pay for the convenience after a long day of travel. The food, however, was awful. We both ordered sandwiches that came with French fries, and after waiting the standard half-hour for delivery, we were given ICE COLD French fries. Literally no heat on them at all. The sandwiches were mediocre. This was bitterly disappointing -- like I said, I've come to expect rip-off room service at places like this, but if you're going to charge $25 per sandwich and fries, then serve them hot. Hardly "5 star."

The hotel's other facilities were fine. Nice lobby, interesting decor. The fitness center had a good range of equipment, but only two televisions that got about two channels each because of satellite troubles. No natural light in the fitness center, either.

Service throughout the stay was hardly five-star. The bellmen at the hotel's main lobby inconsistently opened doors and generally had nothing to say (only one was good about saying "good afternoon" or "enjoy your day"). Check-out was fine, as was the process of getting a cab.

Location is good for many London attractions; the Tube is next door, Hyde Park is across the street, major (expensive!) shopping close by, etc., so no complaints on that front. The neighborhoods surrounding the hotel are ritzy, but lovely, and despite the concentration of wealth in the area you can find a variety of restaurants and cafes.

Overall, I would not return to this hotel. The regular room rates are very expensive, and the level of service doesn't justify what they charge. I didn't feel particularly well taken-care of, and I've had far, far better service at many other properties, including in London.

2 Thank brmusicman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bergen
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Very nice hotel. Nice and quiet rooms. A bit poshy and silent, but only a short walk to Picadilly, and the rest of the town-centre. Actually it's faster to go by feet than taxi.

Very nice breakfast. About one waiter who has responsibility of about for tables. So you always have great service.

The bar actually had four different local beers (microbrewery). And a large range of liquor and wine. In other words a quite nice bar:)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The check-in was very fast, however when we got into our room we realized it was too small considering we booked a deluxe room for $500 per night. The room was very crampled and we needed to have an extra bed which took the management quite sometime and it became more cramp, the breakfast was not 5 star it was the same food everyday and it wasn't nice. For the up side, the view from the room was Hyde park which was very scenic. The location of the hotel was near to Hyde park, green park and Buckingham Palace. There is a hard Rock cafe beside the hotel with a small gallery inside which was fascinating. The tube is also on the vicinity, but it takes about 15-20mins to walk to oxford street and picadilly circus.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank RyanA94
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We booked this stay through hoteldoorman.co.uk and therefore got an excellent rate of £215 including breakfast for a standard double. On arrival we were upgraded to a studio suite which was fabulous. We has bathrobes and slippers and loads of lovely Elemis goodies. The suite was a great size, two flat screen TVs, a separate sitting room. Super king size bed which was very comfortable, excellent linens, pillows etc. the bathroom was lovely with a massive shower head (the size of a dinner plate) and loads of fluffly white towels. Two tiny issues in the bathroom, the bath didn't drain quickly and the shower screen wasn't long enough to protect the floor from the spray from the shower so the floor got wet but there were so many towels it didn't matter.
We didn't eat in the hotel but we did have a couple of drinks in the bar. The service was slow but they made me a cocktail which wasn't on the menu and it was perfect. The drinks were expensive (£30 for two bottles of beer and a cocktail) but this is a five star hotel in Mayfair so you have to expect it. The mini bar was ludicrously priced.
Breakfast was fabulous, tonnes and tonnes of food, loads of choice, excellent quality.
All the staff in the hotel were brilliant, they really can't do enough for you, nothing was too much trouble.
The only tiny annoyance was that they took over 20 mins to find our bags after we had left them with the consierge which left us tight on time to catch our train but they have so many bags to look after and so many people coming and going all the time.
I would highly recommend a stay here. It really is 'how the other half live'.

1 Thank HolidaysRcool
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed October 7, 2010

My wife and I used Priority Club points for a 3 night stay following a business trip to London.
We have stayed at numerous hotels in the area over the years but none of them even come close to the Intercontinental Park Lane.
Even though we used points we were treated like a VIP paying customer. The service, from the doormen to the housekeepers was outstanding. The rooms are some of the nicest and largest we have stayed in in London-more like a high end American property.
We had a standard king on the Club Room level and can't say enough about the quality of the furnishings, the bed and the bathroom amenities.
This hotel can be pricey if you pay the full rack rate but if you can afford it, it's worth it

1 Thank Indialantic
charlotte
Reviewed October 4, 2010

This is pretty much what you would expect from a business-oriented hotel in a big city. Efficient staff. In particular, the concierges were very helpful. We had some drinks several nights in the bar. Of course, they were expensive, but what do you expect.

The location is great -- at the end of Hyde Park, across the street from the Wellington Arch. Tons of restaurants are a short walk or taxi away. The tube station is across the street. We did a lot of walking -- back from the Portobello Road area, and also to and from Covent Garden. Harrods and the Victoria and Albert Museum is a short walk.

We had a fantastic, comfortable room in excellent condition right on Park Lane -- it was fun to watch the traffic, and the sound proofing was nearly perfect. They also have a nice and well-equipped fitness room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 3, 2010

As part of our trip we booked one night in the Intercontinental hotel by spending some Priority Club points . It is now our 3rd time here and we checked in early ( 10:00 ) with Kissy . She was EXTREMELY friendly and wanted to give us a bigger room because it could get small with the extra bed . But it wasn't ready for 2 hours so we took the Superior room that we booked .

The rooms are always small but they have a style ! Really small doors when entering the room can bothersome . The room was small and had a good bathroom with rain shower in the bath, a sink and a toilet . The room had a fantastic high bed with a big B&O TV with a heavy remote . Also a Bose player was in the room . We had a kind of corner room so we could look in the room next to us and had a small view of London !

Every time you enter or leave the hotel, doors are opened for you by the doormen ! In the evening you get turn down service and they make up the bed, lay a mat for your shoes and give a weather card ! What a service

The next day we went to the Concierge . I don't remember his name but it was Japanese and he was also extremely friendly and helped us with all our London questions !

The hotel has a perfect location next to the Hard Rock Cafe ( ask for priority tickets at the concierge ) and Picadilly ! Shopping streets and the Abercrombie store are on 10 minutes walking of the hotel . Hyde Park Corner is the nearest Underground !

This time we paid with points but otherwise it is very expensive for what you get !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family