“Surprisingly good”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #186 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We stayed for free at this hotel on a Saturday night in late November, courtesy of the Priority Club rewards scheme. We had a standard level room which was well appointed, though it had no view.
Contrary to a previous reviewer's experience, our experience of the staff was that they were all unfailingly pleasant and helpful, from arrival to departure.
Late on the Saturday night we used the hotel bar and it was only the antics of a couple of other guests that detracted from the experience (one young woman falling down drunk and having to be carried out!). The hotel seemed to be accommodating a large corporate group (I know who they were but I won't publish it here!)who were attending a function elsewhere and some of their early evening behaviour on the corridors and in the lift left something to be desired.
We were asked if we wanted to pre-book our breakfast, which we did and this saved us 50% of the cost. The breakfast room was busy but the short wait for a table was well-handled and the choice was very good.
Taken all-in-all a very positive experience

1  Thank aloneinkyoto

Reviewed November 24, 2009

I've been an IC Ambassador for many years including the top tier Royal Ambassador.

Prior to the upgrade / modernisation the hotel was classic in appearance but not such that refurbishment would have been required immediately, indeed by doing so much of the charm of the hotel has been lost into the builders skip and in all honesty I really can't see major improvements other than room upgrades and some aesthetic changes in the lobby area.

What strikes you is the change in management style, it is obvious new management have been brought into the hotel to match the new modern appearance whom are nothing more than impolite and arrogant. To be clear with you all, I am writing this review after my third stay at the hotel since refurbishment and have stayed there quite a few times prior to the closure a few years ago... There are no welcoming smiles and no invites to the club lounge, you get exactly what you are entitled to a one level upgrade and there is no discretion at the reception which you could stomach if the rooms and hotel itself were very special, but they just are not... particularly at the rates they charge which are nothing short of an attitude being, "...well we know these rich cats will pay so lets cream the sods..." and I for one have started staying elsewhere in London.

As a comparisson I stayed in Intercontinetal Miami for three days after this stay and it was night and day, so the problem isn't the IC group it's just this hotel whom in their own minds seem to think they are a little bit special.

My suggestion, save your money and stay closer to the town in comaprable hotels of quality and style which are numerous. The IC London has been outclassed before it was ever even finished with the refurbishment... a truly sad waste of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AyrshireBacon
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed at the hotel to go to the Patriots@Buccaneers game. I have been to London many times and it's always the same thing: very expensive hotels and small rooms. But this time it was different. We stayed 4 nights: 3 nights on a friends&familiy rate (135 pounds) and one night through Priceline (130 pounds!!). The room we got was big, certainly for London standards, and very comfortable. We had a corner room looking out over Hyde Park. Even tough that means a lot of traffic, we didn't hear anything.
Beds are great, bathroom is wonderful (loved the shower), and the room was just great!

Breakfast was good (buy it in advance, saves you 50%. Which helps because otherwise it is ridiculously expensive). We didn't have dinner at the hotel (BTW, the Hard Rock Cafe is around the corner, if you're into that).
The bar is small but ok.
The lobby itself is small, but then again, it gives a 'cosy' atmosphere to the hotel.

Location of the hotel is excellent. You're right next to Hyde Park. Exford street is 10 minutes away, Mayfair is next door, Buckingham Palace is 10 minutes away, as is Harrods. And the subway station nearby as well. So, location-wise you're ok here.

A special thanks to the concierge: he got us reservations at Fifteen, even tough it was full. But even better: we found out that Monty Python was going to play at the Royal Albert Hall during our stay. I'm a big Python fan, so I wanted to go there, but of course it was sold out. I asked the concierge if he could do some magic and guess what: he got us tickets at face value. And they were excellent seats!!! Perfect!!

All in all a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed at the Intercontinental recently and have to comment on what a lovely stay and warm welcome I received from the staff.

Having had a long day on the road I arrived very tired and flustered where I was greeted at reception by Dominic who obviously on seeing how stressed I was made me feel very welcome and kindly upgraded me to a suite.

The room itself was lovely very luxurious and quiet with quite possibly one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. There were good quality Elemis toiletries in the bathroom and everything I could have asked for.

We ate in the Italian restaurant in the evening and the food was delicious, the service was very quick without being rushed and for a London hotel I thought it was very reasonably priced.

The one thing I do have to comment on in particular is the staffs willingness to help. When I arrived back home I realised that I had left my glasses at the hotel and after experiences at other hotels assumed I would never see them again. I couldn't have been more wrong the staff went and found them for me and had them posted back within days at no cost to myself.

This is a 5* hotel worthy of the accolade, I would not hesitate to return and strongly recommend you give it a try.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We were happy with the location (close to great shopping, eating, and sites of interest), the staff were helpful and the amenities at this hotel were good, particularly the Cookbook restaurant. The room was also well-equipped and tasteful.

Reviewed November 17, 2009

I read the reviews on here before we went and so was prepared to be dissappointed. How wrong I was, this hotel is fantastic, especially if you upgrade to the club lounge on the 7th floor. I took my partner for a romantic weekend break and we were both overwhelmed with every aspect of the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room, whilst compact, was well appointed with a very comfotable king sized bed and lovely big soft pillows. The minibar was well stocked (I know it expensive, but hey, you only live once!). Its also close to Hyde Park underground so wonderfully positioned for exploring. (5 mins walk to Buckingham Palace). I don't recommend many things but put this on your list of places to stay!

Reviewed November 16, 2009

I have just come back from a weekend in London staying at the Intercontinental Hotel on Park Lane and just wanted to say what an abolutely fantastic hotel this is. I am used to staying in 5 star hotels and realise that expectations are high however I have to say the Interconti exceeded them.... the reason... the staff and the service! So many times the big hotels are faceless however this couldnt have been more different. Nothing was too much trouble and never have I found everyone to be so friendlt it was teh same whetehr is was reception, the doorman, concierge, the restaurant or housekeeping. They actually seemed to take pleasure and pride in their jobs which is rare these days. It isnt cheap but then you get what you pay for - or in the case of this hotel you actually get what you only hope to receive. We didnt eat in teh main restaurant but I did sample breakfast in both the cookbook cafe and the lobby lounge and both were outstanding. I cant recommend this hotel high enough.

• Stayed: November 2009