“Could this be the perfect hotel in London?”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #137 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Des Plaines, Illinois
“Could this be the perfect hotel in London?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I travel a lot and usually pick hotels that are within a certain budget. For me, this hotel would not normally be within those guidelines but since I am a highly active Priority Club member, I got a one night stay here for free. I've stayed in some luxury hotels before (even some in London -- The Landmark, the Athenaeum, etc.) but this one took the cake. The Athenaeum excelled on service but this one excelled in pure luxury AND service. I was able to check in early and even got a late check out for no charge. I was out most of the day and when I returned to my room, I had complementary strawberries, cookies and bottled water. Now, some of these things might have been because I was a Priority Club member, but the general plushness of everything in the room and the entire hotel was for all who stayed here. If I ever get to stay here again, I would be VERY happy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear ceeceerose

Thank you for sending us your kind feedback and for choosing InterContinental London Park Lane for your recent stay. Our aim is to provide our guest with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.

We trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

My son booked a room for me at the hotel to celebrate my 60th using his points. Arrived and the door were opened for us and this level of service continued for the time we were there.
Following the advice on Tripadvisor, asked when we arrived to be move from the 4th floor room to a higher door with a view of Hyde Park. This was done and although it was an hour before the room would be available, we arrived at the hotel at 11.00 am, our telephone number was taken to contact us when it was available - this was done.
Reading the literature in our room we found that the hotel can provide complementary access to 'Boris Bikes' so on the Sunday morning we did this and the hotel even provided cycle helmets.
A great stay in a good location and I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentTravellers22
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear FrequentTravellers22

Thank you very much for your review and kind words following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our service and facilities met your expectations.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Overall Intercontinental Park Lane lives up to 5 star hotel billing. From the moment you walk in till the moment you walk out, everyone is helpful, friendly and courteous.

I had gotten a twin bed room, which was very nicely decorated, with plush beds and more than enough pillows. Though I am sure that they would accommodate requests for more. The air-conditioning, though a central system, worked very well with the controller, and I experienced no problems with it, unlikely with many other central systems.

The hotel is very centrally located, right at the south west corner of Hyde Park, close to most fo the shopping areas like Knightsbridge, Bond Street and Regent Street. A 3 min walk to hyde park corner station. If you are up for walking as I am, the hotel makes pretty much a lot of things in London walking accessible. I walked from the hotel to Westminister Abbey and Big Ben on one day, and to Harrods and High Street Kensington another.

Little details such as a nightly turn down service, in which tomorrow's weather and a little card about London's history is left in the room, as well as the concierge's helpfulness in guiding us around London, made my 3 night stay very comfortable indeed.

A few quibbles, mostly minor, but one major one. Free internet, these days are so wide spread and so readily available that it is baffling as to why a 5 star hotel would charge for its service, when many hotels of much lower reputations are offering it for free. If you readily use the minibar for your own personal snacks, do be aware that the minibar is sensor controlled and moving the items out of the slots can get you charged. I was initially charged for a can of coke, but rectified the matter when I checked out. Kudos to the professional service of the reception staff.

The bottom line: Great hotel at a great location, only thing that let it down was the lack of free internet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Mannlymanny

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the InterContinental London Park Lane. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and your comments have been shared amongst the team. In regards to the internet charges, we do try to remain competitive with other London hotels, but we are pleased to share that later in the year complimentary internet will be introduced for our members as part of the IHG Rewards Programme.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

These guys are doing a really good job! Staff is very friendly and carrying, and it's not that only 2-3 people are such. It's everyone. Even when they mess a bit with something, they apologize so nicely that you really stop worrying about it. Location is great - 5 min walk to Green park subway, Germine street and Piccadilly shopping. Room I was staying at was a newly renovated one. Very big for London. Bed was quite comforting. Room was maintained impeccably clean.

One very important thing to mention. They have Theo Randall restaurant on the premises. On my last night I went there to havea dinner, and I must say it as the best food I ever had visiting London for many years! Pasta was so natural, simple and delicious. Minestrone soup - one could never imagine you can so much enjoy and trully rediscover even such well know courses. I saw Theo talking to the guests in the restaurant, on my way out - I could not miss the opportunity to thank man for the passion, and the great work he does.

This time I was here on business, but I am definitely bringing my wife here sometime this year to enjoy the hotel, Theo's masterpieces and the city

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear eso4600

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your kind comments about our employees and Theo Randall restaurant are highly appreciated. Our aim is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.

We all look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you in the not too distant future.

Sibu, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located and has the prestigious address of No1 Parklane.

Check In

We arrived early in the morning and the staff was kind to check us in so that we can refresh ourselves before going to the Hyde Park.

Location

Conveniently located just across the Hyde Park.  We can have quick access (about 3 minutes walk) to the tube station of Hyde Park Corner though one needs to cross the busy road via an underground crossing.

There are quite a number of food outlets along Hertford Street about 100m to the left of the hotel main entrance just before the Hilton on Parklane.  Piccadilly Road is on the right of the main entrance of the hotel and we found a starbucks coffee not far down with Green Park across the cafe.

Restaurants

Breakfast is served at Cookbook Cafe.  Nice and sumptuous spread of buffet.  The best omelette I have ever had.  Do try the smoked salmon which I understand is from an appointed supplier to Her Majesty?  The best Italian restaurant in London, The Randall is in the Hotel.

Rooms

Rooms are squeaky clean and with fine furnitures.  I like the bed which is so soft and cozy.  Great to relieve my jet-lag as I could sleep well.  The bath room is well equipped with strong jet of water for enjoyable bathing.  Quiet environment even though I stayed on Level 2.

Wireless access

One disappointment is the lack of free wifi in the hotel.  I have to pay 3 pounds for 30 minutes surfing.  I would think that a prestigious hotel should at least have free access in the lobby or cafe for the guests as internet is something which one could not do without nowadays.

Staff

Staff are very courteous and they greet guests to make them feel at home.  Hats off to all the staff.

Overall Rating

Overall, I have excellent ratings on the hotel and would definitely make a return stay should I return to London.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear CK_Den

Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor following your stay in June. Your kind comments about the hotel and the employees are highly appreciated. In regards to the wifi cost, we are pleased to share that later in the year complimentary internet will be introduced for our members as part of the IHG Rewards Programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Caroline JIllings
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

London is one of our favorite cities, and we've been there between twenty and thirty times by now. It never takes a lot of convincing to fly there.

Researching Odaiba in Tokyo led to the discovery of Kua'Aina, a Hawaiian burger restaurant. They have two branches in Hawaii , one in Tokyo and one in London . The menu was so tempting we decided we had to go to London , our nearest location.

Of course we could have simply made a day trip, but since we love London we thought it would be better to spend a weekend there.

Our budget - there are preparations for a longer travel in August - allowed us to buy a flight, but there wasn't much left for a hotel. We had two choices:

1. We could take a very cheap hotel, which didn't fulfill our wishes and needs.

Or

2. We could use points at the different loyalty hotel programs we had left.

Investigating this, we decided to go for the Intercontinental Park Lane . We had wanted to stay there for at least ten years, but somehow had never managed it. We used 50.000 Points for a night in a Superior Room, which is newly renovated.

We arrived with Aer Lingus at London Heathrow and took the Tube. The nearest Tube stop for the Intercontinental Park Lane is Hyde Park Corner on the Piccadilly Line, which connects the airport to the city. There is no need to change lines, so it's ideal.

We bought two single tickets to at 5.50 GBP per person (ca. 6.50 Euro / ca. 8.55 USD).

This time around the Piccadilly Line was upgraded, so there was no service between Boston Manor and Hammersmith, but there was a free bus connection between the stations. We enjoyed the ride and saw it as a bit of an adventure. The wait for the bus was longer than the transportation itself (ca. 15 minutes). We realized Hammersmith is an interesting area.

We arrived after 3 PM at our hotel. The door man asked if he could help us. We said we had a reservation, so he opened the door promptly for us and wished us a pleasant stay.

We were directed by one of the bell boys to a free receptionist. Check in was very quick and painless. We had been unexpectedly upgraded to a renovated Deluxe Room on the 6th floor, overlooking the Wellington Monument and in the distance Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.

We had expected courtyard views, so we were delighted.

The room was medium sized. It was classic with modern touches. The colors were mostly brown, blue, cream, ivory and beige.

There was a small hallway with one door leading off to the bathroom.

The room was equipped with a king sized bed, a wardrobe with safe and hair dryer, two night stands, a coffee table, a plush club chair and a writing desk.

The flat screen TV and Bose wave radio was integrated into a stylish storage unit that included bookshelves with books about London.

The artwork was interesting. It was part mirror, part print, part model of a local landmark.

When we entered the room the radio was already on, tuned to a Classic channel. We like Classic music, so it was a pleasant surprise.

The TV channel selection was good with a wide choice of international channels such as CNN or BBC world, business channels and the largest selection of Middle Eastern channels I've seen so far.

In Room Dining is available 24 hours a day and also has a section with Arabic cuisine.

There is also a mini bar, Nespresso Coffee machine and a kettle.

The bathroom was small, but had enough space for our toiletries. There was a bathtub/shower combination with a large round rain shower head, toilet and sink. The amenities were from Agraria.

The shower pressure was very good - there seems to be never a problem, when staying at an Intercontinental Hotel Group hotel - and the bath tub extremely comfortable.

While we were still exploring the amenities of the room, we received a welcome gift, consisting of fresh strawberries from Kent , a large bottle of still water and Dean's chocolate shortbread. There was also a card, greeting us as Ambassadors - this is the name of the loyalty program for Intercontinental Hotels - and please don't confuse Ambassador with Intercontinental Hotel Group's Priority Club.

Ambassadorship carries a yearly fee of 200 USD. There are some benefits included like a free night certificate, automatic Gold status at Priority Club, room upgrades, welcome gift, late check out up to 4 PM, promotions, where members receive higher points than usual (Normally 2000 points at an Intercontinental Hotel for Priority Club members, no matter how long the stay is or how much the guest spends.) and other things.

We aren't Ambassadors, but the amenities were definitely for us, since the gentleman from room service greeted me by name.

We felt spoiled by now - considering we had used points.

The shortbread was the best we ever had and the strawberries were sweet and bursting with flavor.

During our stay we used the complimentary shoe shine service, ordered a wake up call and requested more soaps and shower gel.

All was delivered promptly, punctual and with a smile.

Turn down service was provided and didn't include any chocolate or water, but the weather forecast and hints where you can visit different film locations in London , i.e. Bridget Jones Diary, Notting Hill, Harry Potter and so on.

The bed was very comfortable too and guaranteed a good nights rest.

The Intercontinental feels very glamorous. When entering the reception is immediately in front of you, when turning right, there is Theo Randall's, turning left leads to the concierge corner, the lifts, the Arch Bar, Wellington Lounge and the Cook Book Cafe.

The spa and fitness center are located on the first floor.

We had breakfast the next morning at the Cookbook Cafe. While the food quality was outstanding, the restaurant was too busy and enjoying breakfast was difficult.

The furniture quality and the design of the Cookbook Cafe seem to be also lower than at any other part of the hotel.

We choose the a la carte option with 2 cappuccinos, 2 orange juices, a bakery basket with yummy pastries, scallion and corn pancakes with scrambled egg and rocket salad and pancakes with berry compote, maple syrup and cream.

It was really delicious.

The bill came in at 40.50 GBP including VAT and service charge, ca. 48 Euro or ca. 63 USD.

Next time, though, we are going to use the in room dining option.

Check out was swift and the bill correct.

We loved how detailed the hotel was, for example the strawberries were served in a designer glass bowl.

The shoe shine service delivered even before the stated time, early in the morning. Since there was a "Do not disturb" sign hanging on the door knob, the shoes were left in a whicker basket, carefully wrapped in paper and a bow.

The shoes were returned shiny and good smelling.

All staff was friendly and efficient, some had even time for a little chat. We felt very welcomed and well treated.

It is only a natural choice to stay there again in the future.

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES!
Would we stay in this hotel again in the future? YES!

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe room with Wellington Arch views, or choose a Club InterContinental room with free br...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Flyer007Dublin

Thank you for sending us your detailed feedback and for choosing InterContinental London Park Lane for your recent stay. Our aim is to provide our guest with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I just returned from a 3-day stay at the InterConti Park Lane and I must say, that I was more than impressed: outstanding, friendly service, great location, perfect weather (thank you for arranging), lovely room. Can't think of anything that could be better.
Value in London is always relative, but here's my take on it: if I would happily return to the London and pay the rate, then the value must be OK.
I would definitely recommend this hotel anyday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business