“Great location and a good option for a family.”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #187 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had intended to stay at another London hotel but switched our reservation to the InterContinental Park Lane ("ICPL") when the other hotel notified us well after our booking that it was undergoing a renovation. In hindsight, that was a bit of good fortune for us as the ICPL is in a very good location and the Club InterContinental made for a much easier stay.

The location at the corner of Hyde Park in Mayfair is literally a 5 minute walk to the Hyde Park Corner station on the Picadilly Line and a 15 minute walk to Buckingham Palace. The weather wasn't particularly nice, but in nicer weather the proximity to Hyde Park will be a real bonus with children.

What we liked:
We had a one bedroom suite with an attached standard room. The outer door to the hallway can be closed to allow relatively free flow between the two rooms.
The rooms have a teapot and were restocked with fresh fruit daily.
The bathroom in the suite is a nice size.
Simon Rose, the Head Concierge, was on duty when we arrived and he is a very nice man with some good suggestions for our first day. Most of the concierge staff was very helpful (with one minor exception.)
The InterContinental Club is a real plus as it offers a hot breakfast, late afternoon tea, and evening cocktails. We arrived early in the morning from the US and our room wasn't going to be ready until late in the afternoon. There is a shower in the Club which we used to just refresh ourselves before heading out for the day. I would suggest having your personal toiletries available.
The Cookbook Cafe Sunday Brunch was really nice. We were there on Easter Sunday, so it may have been more elaborate than what is normal for a Sunday.
Room service wasn't insulting in cost and it was delivered fairly quickly.

The could have been a bit better:
Prior to our arrival, I spoke with one woman at the Concierge Desk about a few reservations. While she made them, she never logged them in their system so we were left thinking we had to plead for a table at the Easter Sunday brunch, among other things. I had also asked her about tickets to the Chelsea FC match, we should never replied to me about. Other reservations I sent by email may not have been made, which required me to scan through my outgoing emails from work to make sure I even sent it. Those on duty sorted it out for us, but it was a bit unexepected that things that we thought were taken care of were not.
There was a perfume heavy smell in the main bathroom. We had assumed a prior guest dropped a perfume bottle as the smell was really noticeable. After smelling that same heavy scent on an elevator, I think it may be a cleaning product they use. Perhaps they just need to use a bit less of it. (Or maybe it actually was perfume, which means some of the guests need to use a lot less!)

It is London and it is a very high-end hotel. If looking for a budget option, then really this isn't the hotel to pick. If looking to splurge a bit, then please stay at the ICPL without concern.

I

Room Tip: We had a low floor room that overlooked the Wellington Arch. Despite the busy location, the noise wa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear ewrpex87

Thank you for sharing your experience at InterContinental London Park Lane. It is always great to receive positive comments and I will certainly pass them on to our team.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to London.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental London Park Lane

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Service: The service in the Intercontinental can only be described as impeccable; staff in reception, doorman, waiting staff in the bar/lounge, cleaners - all incredibly polite and helpful. It's the first time I've ever been told that my food will be ready in exactly '7 minutes'...!

Room/Accommodation: We booked through Hotwire so didn't have huge expectations in terms of our room, but the girl in reception put us into a recently refurbished room which was a nice bonus. The room was excellently appointed including a Bose sound system, Samsung TV and a Nespresso machine.

Location: The location is perfect, we arrived in London via the Stansted Express which terminates in Victoria Station. From here we walked to Park Lane so no need for the hassle of a taxi. In fact we didn't bother with taxis at all during our stay as the hotel is only a 5 minute walk to Green Park tube station. You can also very easily walk up Picadilly to Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square. You can also stroll over to Knightsbridge if you wanted to blow some serious cash in the fancy boutiques...we just stuck to some window shopping and peering longingly into the windows of the Belgravia townhouses like two little kids from a Hans Christian Anderson fairytale...! How the other .001% live!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear DaraH580

It was with great pleasure that I received your candid comments, for which I would like to thank you. The team will be thrilled as it is greatly appreciated when their efforts are recognised.

We all look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Summer is beautiful in London. Stayed in InterContinental London Park Lane two nights back in September for business. It was outstanding. I have been told this hotel was fully booked by the Year 2012 London Olympic Committee group during Olympic game last year.

Hotel location is very great, located above Hyde Park corner metro station, just in between Hyde Park and Green Park in a very quiet high end location and it is close to everything. Surrounding area is safe, quiet, pretty, and very easy to access by taxi, car or subway metro. However, if you have luggage, it's not recommended to go by subway because there is no lift connect to hotel. Better you take a taxi from Paddington station. Or you can arrange a private transfer from airport to hotel directly.

Door men was very helpful to assist my luggage after I arrive. I noticed most of the front desk staff are female and young. They are very pretty. Check in was quick. Lobby is beautiful. As we have been told hotel is pretty small in London. InterCon Park Lane is very spacious and big. Room is very pretty and clean with lot of sunlight and big window. TV and sound system is BOSE. Toilet amenities are the UK brand Elemis . Everything you see and feel is top of the line in the room. Almost look brand new. Bathroom and toilet is very clean. The bed is comfort. View is gorgeous and green. I saw the British solider in uniform and horse toward Buckingham Palace walking in the afternoon from my room window. The sound proof in the room is great. I felt like I really stay in the middle of a park. Very quiet and very peaceful so I can focus working in my room.

Hotel Security at night is good. The doorman would ask sincerely if you stay here to prevent stranger come in the hotel at night. Housekeeper did a good job everyday. Hard rock cafe London is just 30 seconds walk from the hotel and there are couple of cafes and convenience stores at the back street of the hotel. So I can buy some snacks and drink back to my room. HSBC ATM also. It's very easy walk to Regent street and Oxford street in 15 mins by foot.
After a long day out, I just took the metro back to the hotel. Remember to purchase an Oyster card at the station.

I have another trip in Eastern Europe before fly home from London. So I left my luggage to the concierge for a week. So I didn't have to carry around. Very nice services. I would recommend for single, honeymoon couples, family, business traveller or group travellers. They can handle any type of guests. Definitely coming back next time in London.

Room Tip: Facing to the park.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Chun W

Thank you for sending us your kind feedback and for choosing InterContinental London Park Lane for your stay. Our aim is to provide our guest with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.

We trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I used to be a Londoner, now living in Italy, so returning to London often means staying in an hotel.
I enjoy this hotel as of all the hotels tried, this is my favourite, maybe for sentimental reasons. Undeniable the wonderful position in the very center which means easy access on foot to so much of the best of London. The rooms overlooking the park offer a wonderful view. Lobby service is excellent although I didn't eat in the hotel I hear the food is of high standard. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park are the nicest.......the classic standard rooms are quite small but suffi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear gertie700

Thank you very much for your review and kind words following your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our service and facilities met your expectations.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we sincerely hope you will afford us another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Direcotr of Rooms

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night as a two day Easter break treat. That is our only regret, as we wish we could have stayed a few nights longer to take time to relax and enjoy the comfort and warm ambiance of this excellent hotel. Location is very convenient and within easy walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Harrods, Knightsbridge, Bond Street, Oxford Street etc. We booked a superior double room which was a very good size with views over looking Hyde Park. It was private, quite, softly styled, immaculate and very comfortable. The King size bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was excellent size and well equipped, with a great shower. We enjoyed listening to our iPod via the Bose remote music system. We pre-booked full breakfast and would recommend as it was excellent value with wide range of choice. On the negative side, we found the air conditioning was to warm and would not cool at night. We assumed that we had not been given bath robes/slippers - because we only found them the next morning by accident in a top shelf in the wardrobe opposite the bathroom! We would have appreciated hotel staff explaining faculties on our arrival - again we only discovered the mini bar/tea making facilities when leaving the next day located in a side part of the wardrobe. That said, we would have no problem recommending this hotel, we enjoyed our short stay and would like to go back and stay longer next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkn7

Dear dkn7

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights; great location, excellent service. Near Underground, royal palace, and all the nightspots. Hotel staff was professional and very helpful with advice on restaurants, sightseeing, and entertainment. Would not hesitate to recommend this property as a base for London.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear dcjw700

Thank your for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and your comments have been shared amongst the team.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The check in was quick,friendly and easy . The bed was amazingly comfortable and the room was as to be expected from a 5 star hotel. The only draw back was someone knocking on our door 3 times until they got an answer at 9:30 pm just to ask if there was anything else we needed. Only a problem though because we were so tired after a busy day in London. Other than that we had a lovely stay and would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple