“Nice hotel - not a great experience for me” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental London Park Lane

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #132 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Durham NH
“Nice hotel - not a great experience for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I tried to like the Intercontintal London. As a IC Ambassador member, I was thrilled to stay at the Park Lane hotel. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high - and since I normally travel in the US, I'm spoiled with free internet access. I've stayed at various Intercontintal properties in Boston, NYC, and Miami and I've always been thrilled. Not so in London.

Of course, the hotel is beautiful and has a great location, but my room was small and a bit dated. I found the bar to be extremely expensive and I could not believe that I was charged for daily internet access. For me, checkin was a bit slow and my initial room was really small and had very tiny windows. After requesting another room, I was moved to another room that was about the same size and felt old (TV was spotty, furniture old, etc..).

I will say that I love the location and the folks at the door were always helpful. Perhaps, if I was willing to spend a lot more money for a different room class - and I wasn't offended by the Internet charge and crazy prices at the bar, then I might have enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here for the second time and in general, were not disappointed. Although we had to wait until after 4pm to check in, we did not complain as they were upgrading us to a suite. This accommodation was disappointing for a suite. Small congested bathroom with such a small shower, that you could not bend slightly or move properly in the shower. Bathrooms with only one basin are restrictive and dated. Extremely comfortable bed though. However, what sets this hotel apart from others, is its location - wonderful location opposite Hyde Park and near all the touristy attactions, and secondly, the staff. It is seldom that one experiences such incredible friendliness and professionalism from staff in a hotel, and we travel a lot. Nothing was too much for them and they assisted wherever they could without even being asked to do so. The Club facility on the 7th floor is also a great benefit to Ambassador members with a little bit of seclusion from the rest of the hotel where you can enjoy high tea, breakfast, drinks etc as much as you wish. All in all, a lovely hotel, run very slickly and excellent food to boot! We will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces Hyde Park, great view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JDFJohannesburg
Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

It was the second time that I stayed with my wife at the Intercontinental Hotel at Hamilton place in London. We stayed for 3 nights from 7th-11th October 2012. As I am an ambassador member we were upgraded and given a luxury room, very spacious and beautiful overlooking Hyde park corner and part of Green Park. Service like last time was superb. What however would like to stress in this review is the exceptional location that this hotel enjoys something which gives it a superiority and makes it unique in that respect. The hotel enjoys views of Park Lane and Hyde Park, the Hyde Park Corner and Green Park. It is within walking distance, 5- 10 minutes to the centre of Mayfair, Bond Street, Piccadilly is at its footstep, 5 minutes to Hyde Park, 5 minutes to Green Park, 10 minutes to St. james's and the restaurants in the area, 15 minutes to Piccadilly circus and Trafalgar square and some of the Theatres in that area.
Reaching Knightsbridge on foot is a matter of 12 minutes by using the subway infront of the hotel and under HydePark Corner. So The Intercontinental enjoys excellent location but also one of the most beautiful locations. When in London again we will not have to think of another Hotel because for us this is the best!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank SDLCyprus
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Beautiful hotel in an Excellent location at Park Lane Buckingham palace & Big Ben all within a 15 minute lovely walk though the parkland opposite.Piccadilly Westend and Oxford street all very close
Warm and friendly efficient checkin after a long flight from Australia
Fitness studio and bar/ restaurant excellent all staff warm and helpful
will be back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great location, outstanding food, great staff, ridiculous Internet charges in this day and age. Really quite silly that paying so much they can't throw in free wifi. Not very nice. Breakfast is good but quite overpriced. Amazed how we in Asia are spoilt by excellent value at similar hotels, Europe just isn't the same at this level.

Room Tip: Overlooking Hyde park!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
raanana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend recently at this fine hotel. Room was pleasant and clean, staff were very attentive and professional and we loved the breakfast. Definetly worth the money we had to add to the special deal we got through Prority Club. Location ia great, walking distance to Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace etc and a short walk to the nearest underground station. We highly recomend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Me and my friend went for afternoon tea. Booking a table was a horrible experience: called to reserve a table over the phone lady who took my details said that someone will call me back to confirm, never happened, I called myself 9 times to Wellington lounge no answer, called to reception to ask them to put me through to the manager they put me through to waitress who didn't have a clue about afternoon tea, and she called the lady by name Aziza (not sure about her position but she said she is not a manager ).She was very polite and professional and confirmed my reservation. We had a Botanical tea, Me and my friend went for afternoon tea. Booking a table was a horrible experience: called to reserve a table over the phone lady who took my details said that someone will call me back to confirm, never happened, I called myself 9 times to Wellington lounge no answer, called to reception to ask them to put me through to the manager they put me through to waitress who didn't have a clue about afternoon tea, and she called the lady by name Aziza (not sure about her position but she said she is not a manager ). She was very polite and professional and confirmed my reservation. We had a Botanical tea , recommended by my friend, it was very unusual and tasty specially beef sandwich with asparagus. Service was excellent , she even moved a van which was by the window and blocking the view, every cup of tea been poured. We got complimentary glass of champagne from Cristine ( reception manager) . Thank to Cristine and Aziza our horrible starting experience finished with an excellent and amazing experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends