“Great hotel but some misses in club level”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #197 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel, extremely well located, with large public reception area. The rooms are small, like all of London, but finished very nicely with touches of luxury. The staff is professional and very nice. I always stay at the club level. Here is costs an additional $150USA. The club is large with two TV areas and 3 great Apple 27" computers and lots of tables and chairs. Across one wall is large floor to ceiling windows with great views of the park and London. All day you can serve yourself to water, soft drinks and coffee/tea from express machine (but no decafe on machine}. Breakfast is very good with large selection of berries which is special. You order hot foods from menu and the omelette was wonderful. Tea time is the standard fair. The real disappointment is with the evenings food offerings at cocktail time. The drinks are plentiful with all hard liquor and free flowing Moet. But the food is not good. Unlike Ritz Carltons, Intercontinental in Hong Kong and Vienna, some Marriotts, and even the Hilton located across the street, this club level restricts its offering to 3 items and 2 pieces of each (I am sure you could get more if requested) that are served to your table. It is similar practice to Intercontinental in Sydney and Bali. The only display food is a small cheese and cracker platter and cut up vegetables. Yes there are potato chips,olives and nuts. The served food rotates on a 3/4 day basis so you will get the same thing if you stay a while. One of the three items is always a pastry cup (about ½" in diameter) with some mayo salad inside like squid. The other two could be a cold meatball, a chicken leg, a small ½" piece of bread with pate on it.
You would think for the $150 extra they could a better job with the evening snacks and allow you to serve yourself. The only other issue I had with the club may have been unique to my visit. The club allows children even without their parents present. During my stay of 7 days, 4 of these children hanged out at the club with their parents treating the club like a day care center. They monopolized the computers playing various on line games and destroyed the tmosphere of the club.

2  Thank JDK1700
There are newer reviews for InterContinental London Park Lane

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have just returned from two nights at this hotel. The service from the reception staff was really welcoming and friendly.
The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, not overly big but ample. My only whinge with the room would be the 'king size' bed seemed to be two singles pushed together, which is fine as long as you dont want a cuddle!!!

We pre booked breakfast for following morning upon check in which was £20 each (£28 if you do not pre book), it was buffet style, we helped ourselves to eggs, bacon, hash browns etc, but it was all cold and the scrambled egg was powdered egg not real egg, which was vile,(you would have thought for a 5 star hotel they would use real eggs). When we complained they apologised saying the food was not under the heat lamps correctly, and that they would check the temperature and in the meantime cook us a fresh breakfast. Which they did and it came out hot but swimming in grease. needless to say we didnt eat that either. I just had toast and my husband had some of the cold meats and fruit. They did come out with a thermometer and check the remainding food and replaced some of it. They were very apologetic, but it certainly was not worth the £20 each we paid.
The location of the hotel was great and would not hesitate to stay here again but would go out for breakfast!!!

1  Thank MrsJEssex
Reviewed September 15, 2012

hotel was very well located and newly renovated rooms were nice. I stayed there 2 nights and experienced nothing negative except one small but important detail. While checking out I asked concierge to make my online check-in as I was rushing for airport. The lady at the concierge did not want to help me and suggested me to go the business center (which was one another floor) and make my online check-in by myself. Anyway, I went up and wanted to use one of the computers and explained again that I have to quickly check-in online and she offered to purchase 15 minutes internet usage!!! this shows how they see me very clearly: I am definitely NOT a guest as they say in their commercials but I only mean a few pounds more to them. (note: the lady at the business center reception understood my disappointment and offered me 15 minutes card for free, I hope she passed the message to her managers)

Room Tip: ask for renovated rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank yummy1207
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent and the staff very understanding of needs. This hotel is in an excellent location however, the rooms are tiny, I was staying on floor 3 overlooking a gloomy inner courtyard and, if one opens the window very noisy with all the extraction plants. Attempting to sleep with the window open was similar to being in terminal 4 waiting for take off. This is the worst nights sleep I have every had in any london hotel. Internet takes the prize for being the most expensive in london.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marranello
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear marranello,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our location and our staff.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the noise during your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 12, 2012

The welcome was wonderful and after a 20 hours of travel the only thing you need more than a cocktail is a shower. Since we arrived early our room was not ready, however, the lovely receptionist, Jenna, arranged for us to use the spa facilities to shower before heading out to meet some friends for lunch. It was so nice to wash airport off of us and extremely considerate for her to make such an effort.

The room was a bit dusty but well set up. The bathroom had wonderful washing facets and water pressure was great. Sleeping in, on the other hand, was difficult due to an abundance of noise that managed its way into our room all night and day. We were looking forward to catching up on sleep after weeks of traveling, so this was a bummer.

We were disappointed with the breakfast service and procedure. The last seating is at 1030 and we made reservations for that time. I was extremely put off when they begin breaking down before our two other guests had arrived and well before we settled in. Thankfully we were early and able to tell our friends that they would be unable to eat before they arrived. Breakfast was abruptly closed by the time we were half way through with our first cup of coffee. Sadly the remaining patrons were noticeable uncomfortable and we all grimaced at the clicking and clanging of the dishes and vacuuming that was taking place while we rushed out at 1045. :-(

The front of house is most gracious so it felt good to arrive and depart. Bravo for their smiles and professionalism. However, we will not return and would not recommend this hotel for anything more than a business stop.

Room Tip: A room with a view should be requested
1  Thank KMWilgus
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear KMWilgus,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments on Jenna. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the breakfast service may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here on the weekend for our wedding anniversary. We booked through last minute.com. We arrived at 8.30am, so knew the room wouldn't be ready. The reception staff were very polite and helpful. I can't go in lifts so the receptionist showed me a staircase I could use and didn't make me feel I was silly or being a nuisance at all. The room on the first floor was stunning. It was huge. It had a walk in wardrobe, very clean bathroom and comfy bed. The hotel rang us at midday to say our room was ready. Very professional as check in is at three. The bar staff were very polite and professional. We had champers by the glass at 15gbp. Yes it sounds a lot, but you are in a five star hotel, it is moet and you go with the moment! Their hot chocolate is THE nicest hot choc I've ever had. All in all I can't fault this hotel. The staff were all great, the rooms fab, the bar fab. The location is near Hyde park and I'd say ten mins walk to Buckingham palace. There is only the hard rock cafe that is immediate to the hotel. We walked ten mins to Charles street and found a brilliant gastro pub. Amazing food, great staff and five star hygiene. All great. It's called the only running footman. So, would I go to this hotel again? I sure would! I've actually started saving my pennies for the next trip!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The stay was a short one but very pleasant. The room was ready when we arrived so checked in early. The Entrance and lobby were very grand, staff was very helpful! The rooms were large and every member of staff we came across had a smile on their faces.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business