“Best location for price”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #391 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I got this hotel through priceline and therefore paid a very reasonable rate and it was ideal. It is rated as a four star but it really is just a good Holiday Inn. Regardless, our room was clean and more spacious then we expected for London. Like everyone else says, the location is perfect. Walking distance to everything especially the Green Park tube around the corner. And as it turns out, green park tube station had all the trains we used going direct including Heathrow. Starbucks across the street is convenient for free Wi-Fi but there are also 2 internet computers in the lobby for use.
What we enjoyed most were the staff. Did not see the morning staff much but the evening staff and pub staff were relaxed and very friendly and approachable.
Hotel food was reasonable priced, never had a noise issue and everything worked so basically it was 'spot on' !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelGuestRelations, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear momandwee,
I am very pleased indeed that you chose the Holiday Inn Mayfair for your recent visit to London. I am also glad that you found our staff and the amenities "Spot on". We are updating and improving all aspects of the hotel so please come back again when my staff and I can more clearly demonstrate why we have earned a Four Star rating.

Thank you very much.

Paul Spencer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,268)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I spent a week in the Holiday Inn and had a great stay. The family room we enjoyed was a nice surprise in the hear tof the city and the pre-booked rate (got it in Feb.) was a great value. The hotel offers the perfect location for seeing the city and boasts the service you would expect from a Holiday Inn property. The other nice feature for a family is that there is a Sainsbury grocery store a M&S grocery store and a Boots pharmacy all within 30 seconds walk of the front door for your famillies needs.

The only drawback is that there is no fitness facility other than the one down the street which is not convenient, but the location compensates for this.

I would recommend any family to stay in this property and my family will be staying here during our next visit.

Room Tip: Assk for a room facing the Ritz which is across the street, very pretty at night when lit up.

Dear bpaliotti,
Thank you for your resounding recommendation of our hotel to other families. It pleases me enormously that you had a pleasant experience during your week long residence. We invested in a fitness centre in the pass but found it under used as many of our guests opted for a run in the nearby Green Park or around the local area instead. For that reason the facility was discontinued. However, if interest is again shown we will certainly review that decision.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel was very modern and clean and close to an Underground stop. We were able to walk nearly everywhere in the city from here. There is a grocery store across the street which we used for breakfast and a Starbucks across the street for Wi-Fi. The hotel does not include free breakfast or Wi-Fi. Clean and modern rooms.

1  Thank Hobie27

Dear Hobie27,
Thank you very much for making the time to post your views of the recent stay at our hotel. I note that your package did not include breakfast. Please be aware that to offer the very best value and choice our packages provides the option of breakfast/internet/meals and movies inclusive rates. An offering to fit every budget and requirements.
Therefore, next time you choose to come to London please check our web-site or contact us directly for our very best rate to suit your budget.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed one night in July 2013. The hotel is well located and the family room was a good size. There are good shops and restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was a decent standard. However the price was very high compared to other UK cities and other capital city hotels we have stayed in.

No pool or fitness centre on site.

Dear Richard R
I am grateful to you for posting these comments about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. Please note that we offer a wide range of prices to suit most budgets and the very best value for money options are usually when the reservation is made and pre-paid in advance.
Please check our website or contact our reservation to see our rates. I am confident that you will find them very competitive indeed. The hotel discontinued it's fitness facility because of a lack of interest. Should there be renewed interest I will happily consider it's re-introduction.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have now stayed in this hotel on two occasions several years apart, both stays were very pleasant. it is in a great location with Green Park underground just across the road, with the theatre district and lots of places to shop and eat well within walking distance. The lobby is presented with lots of marble, with staff always on hand. the first time we stayed was in 2008 for a birthday treat. on that occasion we had an average room which looked out onto the air conditioning units on rooftops to the rear of the hotel. this wasn't the wished for view but didn't distract from the weekend, and I don not recall it being noisy. the room was of the high standard one would generally expect from a Holiday Inn chain based in such a prestigious location. clean bed linens and towels, tea and coffee making facilities etc. the second time we stayed was in April this year (2013) for me to take part in the London Marathon; this hotel was one listed in the sponsors offers. others were available at a cheaper price but as the hotel is in staggering distance to the finish, and we had stayed there before we knew what we were getting. the offer was advertised as "buy one night, get one free" however is appeared to be 2 nights at half price upon payment. we decided to stay for 2 nights as I did not want to travel home on train "marathon fresh" as far as I am aware this was a marathon only offer which was a bit cheeky. we had a larger room this time but again was of a very high standard. this time being higher up in the hotel and with a better room we had a view of the front of the Ritz, and of Green Park and could actually see all the way across to Battersea Power Station. However for the view we sacrificed peace and quiet. It didn't disrupt my sleep but my partner found it a little more troublesome. taxi horns, and large engined sports cars vrooming up the strip or away from lights. I got a complimentary breakfast on the marathon morning, which was standard cereals, toast, cheese, breads, porridge and fruits. the in hotel bar is expensive and as it's not a long walk to other bars and pubs I would avoid it. I would say that the price of the hotel is mainly based on the area of london in which you stay as Holiday Inns, and similar chains seem to present a certain standard regardless of price. overall, this hotel is a great location for all attractions in London, but definitely a more pricey than your average Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: larger rooms higher in hotel have better views but you will experience road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear Eleanor T,
I am very pleased that you chose us a second time. It is repeat business that we value so highly, mainly because it tells us that you are happy with what we do and offer. Please bear in mind that some of our best rates can be found via the internet especially when booked in advance and if you do join our Reward club there will be great benefits too.

Thank you very much for coming back to us and I hope you will continue to.

Best regards
K Collins.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Holiday Inn Mayfair might remind you of your grandfather's car. It seems old and a little worn, and feels designed for a different era, but is obviously well-maintained and built to last.

My room was enormous -- by London standards -- with heavy wooden furniture that had seen better days, and a charming brass plated light switch in the entryway. The windows opened (although just a crack!) and there was ample lighting in the bedroom.

The bathroom aged less gracefully, though. It had a large tub, but the sink drained painfully slowly, the lighting was poor, and I haven't seen separate taps for hot and cold since I was a kid staying at (you guessed it) my grandfather's house.

What impressed me most was how quiet my room was. This property is popular with families, and I know there were several young children staying on my floor, but the walls were thick enough to ensure blissful silence. How often do you find that in a modern hotel?

The real selling point, as others have noted, is the location of the property. Mayfair is an extremely desirable and wealthy neighborhood. Less than five minutes out the door and you'll be walking past a Rolls Royce dealership. In the other direction is the Green Park tube (subway) stop, with three lines running through it. It took me all of ten minutes to get to my office on Oxford Street.

The sacrifice you make is predicable, in staying at a large American chain. There is no charm to this hotel, either in the building or its staff, making the whole operation feel out of place from its posh surroundings. Arm yourself with a good rate, though, you'll feel like you got a discount pass to the best of London.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear gridskipper,
Your description of the hotel and staff being without charm has left me concerned because we have worked hard at inducing a sense of personality and uniqueness in our establishment at the cost of contemporary styling. Perhaps, we need to work harder! So that is precisely what we will be doing until we get it just right.
Thank you for your custom and I do hope you will pay us a visit again in the not too distant future.

Regards
K Collins

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The location is absolutely perfect. It is right by the Underground station and convenient to great shopping and sights.

The service was not great. We were three in the room and had to ask every night for an extra cup and washcloth (which we didn't always get) The temperature in the room was not comfortable. I asked a member of the staff for direction to a well known museum and he had never heard of it (Museum of the /city of London) We paid a premium price and breakfast was not included. One of the two elevators was frequently not working. I would not stay there again. There were numerous groups staying there and the lobby was noisy. No free Wi Fi in rooms. A below average hotel at a premium price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear mizlibrarian,
I was disappointed that we did not seem to have done enough to make your stay with us more pleasant and from your correspondence I can see why you were not very impressed. May I offer my apology for our poor performance on this occasion. We really are normally much better as attested by many reviewers. Of course what matters most is your personal experience. Our concierges are quite knowledgeable and all should have been able to direct you to the Museum of the City of London. I am therefore most surprised that one of them failed to fulfil such a simple request. The elevators have undergone a full maintenance service in the last 2 weeks and should now be even more reliable. I hope I can convince you that this was an aberration from our otherwise first class service and trust that you will return to us in the future when, we will demonstrate how much better we can be.

Regards