“Good location, Lousy breakfast”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #378 of 1,088 Hotels in London
New York CIty
“Good location, Lousy breakfast”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Outstanding location, walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Picadilly Circus, steps from the subway, plenty of convenience stores nearby, close to the Royal Academy. A tourist's dream. Rooms are decent and spacious, staff is friendly. However, that is got to be the lousiest, cheapest, most depressive hotel breakfast ever, a far cry from the picture. Them precious pounds will be better off spent at one of the nice cafés nearby. Would stay here again, but would not include breakfast in the package.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear 777_Carla,
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us. In fact I am astounded because our breakfast is normally praised very highly indeed. I can't imagine just what went wrong on the day you were served. I would appreciate some more information about your experience so that I can look into the reason.
I eagerly await your response.

Himayfair-guestrelations@ihg.com
K Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Holiday Inn, is typical of many generic chain hotels, standard decor, robotic staff, good cleanliness... however this one is in a gem of a location especially if your a tourist.
Just around the corner from Green Park tube station which is a hub connect 3 different underground lines (Jubilee, Victoria, and Picadilly - the tourist line). Additionally you are right next to Green Park which mean Buckingham Palace, you are opposite the famous Ritz, as well as a short walk to Picadilly Circus if you don't fancy the tube.
The hotel itself is modern chain-basic but always clean, rooms seem to keep out the noise, and tv's have the usual run of select freeview channels.
Food is ok, but why eat in a hotel when your in the west end of london anyway!
Breakfast was an extra charge, overpriced as standard in London.

Room Tip: Avoid paying for the over-priced hotel food, it's average. Instead use your money to eat at the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear zoro1985,
My thanks to you for coming to stay with us and for taking the trouble to leave a review detailing your experience.
I understand that you might view our co-operate image as standard but we counter-balance this with our individual characteristics, namely through our people. Unfortunately, on this occasions they did not impress you enough as you described them as robotic. We of course, manage behaviours in order to keep a level of professionalism but we never restrict personality from shining. I hope your stay was sufficiently positive to tempt you back.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was one week till go time. No hotel booked. Corporate expense limit watching over me like the evil big brother I never had. The choice was made for me: Holiday Inn Mayfair was the only option that wouldn't get me fired. Booked. It's go time.

What I was rather impressed by:

- Great location, right next to the Green Park station and a short walk to Regent Street.

- They remedied a major fail (who knew the EU outlet adapters are worthless in the UK?) with a loaner.

- They remedied another major fail (toothpaste? who needs toothpaste?) with a complementary tube.

- Free Kit Kat and bottles of water every night. My willpower was no match for free candy.

- I didn't sleep much, but when I did, it was peaceful and comfortable.

And not so much:

- Shower wasn't exactly hot, more lukewarm, and there is a very poorly placed shower bar that I knocked my elbow in not once, not twice, but thrice. Ouch.

- No gym, but fortunately there is a great one a few steps away for £6 per use.

- No Wifi, £17/day for a cable connection is ridiculous.

All things considered, way, way better than the hostels I was staying in last time I was in London ten years ago. Not to mention the corporate bean counters are happy. And being last minute.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelGuestRelations, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Hello Jason B
Thank you for a very witty review. I am glad that we kept the "bean counters at bay..
I hope that you are a member of our Reward scheme because we are offering free Wi-Fi to premier level members initially and to all card holders in the near future.
Please come back to see us again, I look forward to a giggle at your next review.

K Collins.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 10,949 helpful votes
Reviewed July 7, 2013

i stayed in this hotel for 6 days
they upgraded me for executive room with an offer of stay three nights eat free ( 100 £ GBP) voucher thee nice and over looking green park Piccadilly street
i enjoyed my stay the front desk and restaurant staff very nice i do not forget the housekeeping also
they doing fine
overall the hotel is very good
i like stay in this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank bnghanem
Dear bnghanem,
I hope you and your family are well.
I have noted your comments about our hotel and thank you for coming to stay with us. Please keep us in mind for your next trip.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our aircon in our room was not working, it was 29 degrees outside and this is supposed to be a four star hotel! When we complained about it we returned to a fan being placed in our room! They eventually moved us to another room with aircon working, but we could not use the safe. We were forced to carry all our passports, etc with us all the time. When we checked out they asked us how we enjoyed our stay, I mentioned the above to the staff member and she did not seemed surprised, her response was, they will be attending to all the complaints eventually. Huge disappointment!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JennieSmith
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear JennieSmith,
Thank you for letting me know of your experience at our hotel. I am disappointed that we did not facilitate your needs better. We should have been able to replace your safe or at the very least, secure your valuables in our safe. I will be finding out why this did not happen! I am sorry that the air conditioning unit was faulty but note that we rectified this once reported, it is a pity that it took two attempts. On balance we certainly did not cover ourselves in glory and I can see why you rated us so low if not a tad harshly. I also agree that our quality control needs looking into and will ensure we improve.
Thank you again for your comments.

K Collins.
ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very easy to reach, across the street from Green Park station. Easy access on foot or tube to all attractions and sites. Rooms and bathroom decent size. Clean and quiet. Breakfast quite good, children free. Reception staff helpful. As in past posts, lifts not always operational. No English charm in this hotel. Typical chain hotel. Would recommend and stay again myself. Perfect for a family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank melissa m
Dear melissa m,
Many thanks to you for writing about your stay. Our location is one of our best attributes. I am glad that you have enjoyed and mentioned some of the others. "We still have to work on old English charm"

Would love to welcome you again.

Yours sincerely
West Yorkshire
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was fortunate to be upgraded to an exec room which was just huge. If they had stuck a wall in it would have been a suite. A rare treat in such an expensive part of London. I was on business and just the for one night but the room was very comfortable, although it had the usual Holiday Inn problem of pillows that are too fat to use two, but too thin for just one. Breakfast was fine. Standard Holiday Inn fare. The staff were friendly, especially when I got back to the hotel late after one or two too many sherberts. You know what you get with a Holiday Inn and this one was slighltly better than average.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello BrighousePete,
Too many sherberts?? Perhaps you are getting too much pocket money young man..
Thank you for seeking us out and sharing your experience with others.
Please ask about our pillow menu on your next visit you should find one or two that will definately suit you.