“Will not stay here again!”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #383 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Calgary, Canada
“Will not stay here again!”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The Holiday Inn Mayfair is located conveniently in central London. Unfortunately the service and hotel rooms are lacking. So far this year I have stayed at this hotel four times, each time there were a number of issues. Because the price is similar to other hotels in the area, I will try another hotel next time I am in London.

Hair in breakfast. During one of my stays earlier in the year I discovered a curly hair in the breakfast. After notifying the hotel staff, I was told that I would not be charged for the breakfast – I didn’t eat due to a loss in apatite.

Toilet that doesn’t flush. During my last stay the toilet in my room did not flush. I notified the staff, which sent somebody to fix the issue – unfortunately the toilet didn’t work after the fix.

Breakfast late. If you aren't a business traveller, then it might not matter if breakfast is not available when they say it will be, but if you are on a tight schedule 15-20 minutes do matter. The breakfast isn't great, but it is sufficient. The selection and quality of the fruit is weak.

WiFi spotty. The WiFi sometimes disappears and takes 30 min to 2 hours to return.

Incorrect and inconsistent room service. Ordering room service is like Kindersurprise, you never know what you are going to get. There is always something wrong, forgetting a glass for the water, putting cheese on a no-cheese order…

The hotel isn’t bad if you are looking for a good bed and don’t care about service that lacks and some of the issues I described above. The location of the hotel is great. The burger(s) are pretty good, great bread and the meat tastes good too.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
So very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the service you received at our hotel. I am also very unhappy that it has caused you to seek another hotel but who can blame you! After all you gave us four chances and we failed to deliver to your expectation.
I see that there is still some work to be done for us to get it right.
Thank you for your custom and I hope you will not give up on us and will consider us for excellent value in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta

Great location.

Had a bad experience with the concierge. I walked up to Keith who decided to ignore my very existence. First he continued talking to his trainee colleague about name tags and then once done looked at me briefly before deciding he would rather organise some leaflet or papers. After finally getting him to talk to me he would not get a taxi for me claiming that I should just get the tube. I insisted but he just went about his business. I'm fairly young looking and often wear a baseball cap. I guess he just took one look at me and decided I wasn't worth his effort. After complaining to the management I got the taxi via a different porter but I have no idea whether any disciplinary action was taken against Keith. As a platnium member I do not expect this kind of treatment but even more so as a human being. By the way my wife was pregnant at the time. Thank you Holiday Inn Mayfair. If you want to apologise and compensate me for my stay please do. My priority club number is 757041837.

Room service food was poor quality and the breakfast was a typical english buffet with nothing special. Luckily there are plenty of places to get breakfast around the hotel. My wife enjoyed thr cranberry juice from the bar but there were numerous flies buzzing around and we took it to the room.

The executive rooms are slightly bigger and do you get some free water, orange juice and a kit kat chunky each day. There is a bathrobe and some slippers but the toiletries are the standard room ones. As a platinum member I received no special treatment. I didn't get thr free wifi some other person commented on inan earlier comment.. The mini bar was an auto charge one so no fridge and also no ice machines.

Generally rooms felt clean despite the rust and other damage/minor issues. The hotel could certainly do with a renovation as it looks tired. Fine if you are out a lot though.

Top location. poor-average hotel.

Certainly not luxurious and like new like some of the other reviewers stated (maybe there is a newly renovated area? I was on the 5th floor) You can see for yourself in the pictures. For a mayfair hotel at this price you can certainly get a lot better and still have a decent location. Try the Crowne Plaza St James which isn't too far away.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bluejay82
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Hello,
I am ever so sorry to learn of your experience. I have not yet sufficient information to comment on your interaction with our member of staff but shall be looking into this as a matter of urgency. We are currently updating the furnishing in some of our rooms and plan to undertake even more in the near future. That said your experience is rather regretable and I will do my best to see that improvements are made in the areas you mentioned. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my mother, sister, and sister in law for one night in May. I chose this hotel because of its location and ability to guarantee 2 double beds. We found the hotel easily - it's VERY close to the Green Park tube station. Everything you need is nearby - Boots (CVS like drug store), Starbucks, Pret A Manger (ready made sandwiches). You MUST pop into Fortnum & Mason, a department store the likes of which I had never seen before. It's amazing. Mayfair is an easy walk to Piccadilly Circus, and through the park to Buckingham Palace.

The hotel staff was warm, welcoming, and helpful. We checked in easily and got right to our room. Their wireless internet works for 2 devices per room. We found the room spacious and hotel quiet. The concierge was extremely helpful, which we needed since we were only there for a day. I cannot wait to return to London, and when I do, I will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank swankyforless
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted that you were happy staying with us and I do hope you will keep on coming so we can keep on pleasing you.
edinburgh
Reviewed September 6, 2011

we stayed here for 2 nights,room only deal and were happy with the room we got,the bed was really comfy and everything was clean,sure the hotel could do with some freshing up but we were out most of the day and only used it for sleeping but it was in a great location that was the reason we chose this hotel and of course it being a holiday inn whom i am a huge fan of will be staying here again when i return to london

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your kind words and promotion of the brand. We will be happy to receive you again and show you our improvements.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Mayfair for 8 nights total - 6 then we went to Scotland and back again for 2. The hotel is absolutely great for families. We had the 2 double bed family room which worked well for 2 adults and 2 teens. The bathroom was clean and spacious, towels thick, water pressure was strong. The room had wireless internet, and the computer in the lobby allowed us to print out boarding passes too. The hotel is opposite a starbucks, 2 minutes from Green Park Station, around the corner is a supermarket and a pharmacy and a 10 minute walk up Picadilly takes you past bookstores, restaurants, coffeeshops and then to Picadilly Circus. The restaurant in the hotel is pricey with limited selection so we passed on that, but didn't need it at all. The desk and concierge especially were always helpful and they were happy to store some of our luggage when we went to Scotland for no fee. We did lots of walking to sites each day and the walk through green Park and St. James is terrific and relaxing and you easily wind up at the Palace, Churchill's War Room, Westminster Abbey, etc. We've already recommended this to friends with kids - any age will be more than happy to stay here. Also, the Big Bus tour leaves right from Green park so we just hopped on that one morning at 8:20am and were off to see London and a morning tour of the Globe Theater. There were always taxis either at the hotel or right on Berkeley Street so there wasn't a thing we would have changed. The only thing we wished the hotel had in the room was a clock!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Iceland3
I am very pleased that you were moved to take the time to write this review. I thank you very much for staying and do hope to see you again soon.
Kent
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel is located across the road from Green Park and the tube station and is within easy walking distance from Picadilly Circus. The "family rooms" are very small and the carpet is worn out, feels unclean and oderous. The bathroom is small, dated and in need of a good clean. In comparison to other Holiday Inns we have found the staff to be less service oriented.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank michgrif
Hello,
I actually agree with you and some other guests that in some area of the hotel a freshen-up is needed and that is precisely why we have replaced the elevators, changed some carpeting and remodelled the restaurant. There are more planned improvements some starting next week. So we not only listen to what you say we take it seriously enough to do something about it.
Hamburg, NY USA
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn London Mayfair for 4 nights as a family of 4 with our 2 teenager sons in late July.

The location was fantastic. Central to most everything in London with easy tube and bus access and walking distance to many sites.

The room however, well... it left a lot to be desired. We had a room on the 6th floor with an alley view. The room was small, dated, hot (a/c didn't work well), and beds were uncomfortable. The bathroom was small and also very dated. The lobby had two elevators and both were TINY (4 people max w/o luggage) and slow! All that said, we were staying on points with 2 adults and 2 teens in one room in central London where quads are hard to come by. Thus taking things in perspective, the room served its purpose and was a good use of points. Location being the #1 thing that mattered.

While I can't wholeheartedly recommend this hotel, I do think for families able to use points that want to stay in central London it is a good option as the location really is hard to beat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hello,
I am glad that you chose our hotel. We are updating the furniture in some rooms as we also noticed that this is required and hope you will return to enjoy not just the location but the improvements. The elevators are actually rated for 6 persons and usually serve that number including some luggage.
Thank you for staying with us.