“Not bad for the price”

Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross
Ranked #399 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stay here regularly for work, good location close to farringdon not really in kings cross.

Pretty average place, breakfast is so so, rooms ok enough for the money.

One big gripe is that im a platinum member but I never get upgraded so find that a little frustrating.

Room Tip: All pretty similar
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London. Let me know when you next stay and I will arrange an upgrade. They are subject to availability. As an IHG Reward Club Member we try and upgrade you whenever we can. Thank you for letting me know. I can be contacted at sales@holidayinnlondon.com.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is definitely e three star hotel.
Very old style.Lack of cleaness in the room.
Horrible internet service,which is given free as IHG rewards member.
PRICE PER NIGHT IS EXTREMELY HIGH.

I will not stay here again !

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sadi K
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am sorry that you found our hotel expensive, thank you for your thoughts. Our best room rates are always on the Holiday Inn Website ' Best Price Guarantee - please see the terms and conditions.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Standard Holiday Inn room, where the bed was very comfortable. Interestingly no minibar in the room. The towels in the bathroom had seen better days and were only large towels rather than bath sheets. As per usual with most hotels little thought had been given to ladies doing their make up and lighting in both the bedroom and bathroom was poor. The location was the key reason we stayed here, with Kings Cross/St Pancras a short walk away. Large numbers of organised tourists were staying the night we stayed and this had an impact on the breakfast in the morning, with you being segregated depending on whether you had an English Breakfast or not. Having gone for the English breakfast it was disappointing with the cooked food being kept under lights leading to "rubber eggs". The service staff seemed to have diffculty in keeping up with the volume of guests, so numerous tables hadn't be clreared. In summary I wouldnt rush back unless I needed to stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am glad you found our location convenient for your stay. I am sorry for the housekeeping issues and very busy breakfast. I hope to see you again when you are next in the area. Thank you for letting me know.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

So, room rates here aren't cheap starting at £200. Luckily I didn't pay the full whack, but having said that this is not what I would call value for money - I am sure you can get deals. But let's be clear - that did not include breakfast, but the main gripe is the condition of the room.

With a pretty good location, very close to main attractions in Central London it was clear this hotel was aimed at tourists - judging by the amount of them in reception was a good clue! But that doesn't excuse the chain from being completely ignorant about the quality of the rooms. And I appreciate my room was one of at least 400 so my gripes may not be reflective of the entire hotel, however this is my experience and my review!

Fair to say, the air conditioning worked in the room which is something of a miracle in any hotel. But for £170, I expected a half decent room and if the room had been say £80 I probably not have bothered to add photos or a negative review. But this is supposed to be one of Holiday Inn's better hotels?

Well, looking at the photos of my room, you can see it's long overdue of some much needed remedial work. Mould everywhere, ripped bed, stains on the bathroom worktop, a green shower head, a damaged chair and dirty curtains. I think the hostel down the road had better rooms! Not what you expect for £200.

Whilst I cannot fault the staff as everyone was very friendly, if you end up with a room like mine, you may as well spend £60 and find a travel lodge.

Room Tip: Check the room thoroughly before unpacking. If not up to scratch, then demand a new room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank bluejonny
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am glad that our team here looked after you. We are refurbishing the bedrooms later this year and I am sure you will like our new design. I am sorry that you encountered various housekeeping issues in your room and please accept my apologies for this.
We hope to see you again, so that you can see the improvements we are making. Our best prices are on our Holiday Inn Website - 'Best Price Guarantee' please see the Terms and Conditions. Thank you for letting me know.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was a business trip for a charity. Previously we had stayed in another hotel close-by and revolted at the shoddy accommodation. This was a huge improvement with all normal facilities. The food was good (dinner and breakfast), interestingly guests are segregated according to whether they are taking an English or Continental Breakfast, so ensure your co-travellers have the same breakfast booking (assuming you want to eat together). The main downside on my room was no opening window, so reliant on aircon. As usual an iron had to be requested from housekeeping.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind and positive review and for staying here with us on your business trip for charity. I am glad that you enjoyed both our food and our location. Thank you again for choosing to stay here with us. We hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed here with a friend in may, we wanted somewhere to crash that was close to kings cross.
I got a really good deal on last minute secret hotels.
The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. We were given a twin room as requested. The room was clean and comfortable. the bed was a little hard for me but acceptable for 1 night.
the bathroom was clean.
We didnt have the breakfast but i would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your recommendation. I hope to see you back very soon. It is great you got a good deal for your room.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I must say that the location is pretty good if it's your first time in London but that's all. It's not good value for money, customer service is so disappointing and security is even worse. Not all rooms have a safe and my wallet was stolen in the lobby of the hotel with 3 cctv cameras around. However, according to the manager " none of them were pointing at me". Strange, isn't it?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Agudo2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am sorry about your missing wallet and your reported loss from our lobby. The hotel does have CCTV and will be happy to let the authorities deal with the investigation into your unfortunate loss with us. We also have safe deposit facilities for all guests. Thank you for letting me know. I can be contacted at sales@holidayinnlondon.com.