“Would recommend!”

Ranked #434 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Would recommend!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as we were visiting family who live in London. The hotel is approx 15 mins walk from Euston Station, the room was clean, nice and cool which was a welcome relief as most hotel rooms always seem to be too hot for me! As we were out all day on both days and only returned late at night I can only speak for the room and breakfast. I found the bed one of the comfiest I have slept in for a while, the staff were helpful and courteous when we went down for breakfast. The breakfast was buffet style and perfectly adequate for our needs, with everything we wanted. We walked to Kings Cross for the nearest tube station and this was about 10 mins walk away. I found it a very pleasant stay, in a quiet street and ideal for catching a tube into central London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Cambridge
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Close to King’s Cross station (15min walk). Pleasant room on 3rd floor which was quiet even though it overlooked the main road. Clean and comfortable with double bed and small sofa and coffee table. Trouserpress but no iron or ironing board. 8 coathangers in built in wardrobe. and Tea (Ty-Phoo teabags) and coffee (Nescafe sachets) making facilities but no biscuits. Good selection of 24 TV channels including Sky Sports 1 and 2 and 3. No mini bar but a fridge in room. No safe. No free WiFi –(1h £4.95, 4h £7.95, 24h£ 10.95, 7 days £45.00). Breakfast can be delivered to your room for a £2.50 tray charge.

Medium comfortable matress on the bed. Selection of pillows (Hard or soft). Useful sofa.

Bathroom clean and of a good standard with lots of hot water. Bath a bit on the small side.

2 Thank whc23
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

After traveling around various parts on England this motel was the last before we departed to Paris.
We found that the staff were not interested and that everything seemed like a big hassle to them.
After walking from kings cross station which we were told was not far from the accommodation (15 to 20 min walk with luggage and in a dodgy part of town) we checked into a room that smelt of cigarette, as soon as we opened the elevator door the smell overwhelmed us and we had to ask to have a room on a non smoking floor. The lifts themselves smelt like cigarette.
There are no inclusions with your room rate,wi fi is charged at a high rate, calls are not able to be made from room phone unless you key in credit card details (even though they already have it), not all staff speak English, multi cultural multi confusion.
I wouldn't recommend having breakfast as it would be a waste of money, I would recommend heading up the street to the cafes.
The most helpful people at this hotel are the cleaners, who were lovely.
On the plus side it's worth staying there to go to the pub across the road awesome staff and food there made the stay worthwhile.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Kykaly,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, the cigarette smoke smell and the restaurant experience. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My stay at this hotel was terrible. Firstly, I had a bad impression as the taxi driver took me to the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury - which is not the same as this hotel. When I went to check in at the Bloomsbury, the receptionist scowled and told me I was at the wrong Holiday Inn - she made me feel stupid and did not offer to help direct me in the right direction. I finally found a taxi after walking to the main road and had them to take me to the correct Holiday Inn - the Holiday Inn Kings Cross Bloomsbury.

Check in was fine at the Kings Cross. I arrived in my room and it was also okay - but right next to the stairwell. As I was very tired, I just decided this would hopefully not be an issue. It wasn't as I was kept up all night by people going up and down. When I returned from an exhausting day of work, and after hearing crying babies in the next room, I rang down and asked for another room. They gave me one and as soon as I walked in, it smelled of very strong underarm body odour! I gagged!! I went back downstairs and explained the smell and asked for yet another room. This time they gave me another one again next to a stairwell after asking to not be next to a stairwell again! I decided to just take it as I was so very exhausted- but walked in and it reeked of B.O too and had stains all over the chairs, floor and in the bathroom. It was so disgusting and smelly!

I was in London on a business trip - after viewing a second room that reeked of body odour and was filthy, I went onto Expedia and booked a room with the Novotel (which was a palace in comparison in EVERY way).

I try to be fair and balanced in my reviews and am not a negative person - but I believe this might just be the worst place I have ever stayed in. I work in branding and hope that the marketing executives read these reviews - this location does not live up to the Holiday Inn brand name and values - some serious work needs to be done here.

Room Tip: I would follow comments on here to see if they actually improve things before staying here!
1 Thank Jennifer G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you for your business and your review. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

We read with much concern the troubles you had during your visit. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations with regard to the room condition and level of cleanliness. At the same time, we are truly sorry for the lapse in service during your stay and regret that you left us with such a negative impression about our hotel.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Seaford, N.Y.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was a very good choice for us. We easily walked to the St Pancras rail station and navigated our way all over the place. Don't be afraid to use the "Tube". It's easy.The desk was very helpful and although we didn't dine there, we spoke to patrons who did. They all said it was very good. It was reasonably priced, exceptionally clean and we recommend it. There were some wonderful places to walk and eat in the opposite direction from the trains. We explored the local places, restaurants, pubs etc. very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is located very close to the Royal College of Anaesthetists and Royal College of Surgeons, which overcomes the sometimes eye-watering room rates (even when booked via the Holiday Inn website). It is undoubtedly convenient for Kings Cross station, and whilst there is a very small car park at the front of the hotel, there is an NCP nearby also, so parking is not an issue. The main draw for this hotel, apart from the location, is the Indian restaurant: the Rasa Maricham.

Things to note:
- Internet is free to Platinum Rewards members only. I was under the impression that it was free to all Rewards members, but maybe this is down to individual hotels. Still, if joining the Rewards scheme before you stay means free internet, it's no big deal.
- They have changed the format of breakfast since my last stay. They used to give a voucher which you exchanged for English breakfast. If you had no voucher, then you could only choose from the continental breakfast items. This time, continental breakfasts were served in one restaurant area (to the left of the stairs) and the English breakfasts were served in the main restaurant area. This system worked a lot better than the 'tickets' system.

I felt sorry for a couple of elderly Americans on a tour party. They were not sure if the breakfast was self-service, so they asked the waitress. I was amazed to realise that she did not speak enough English to understand their question. She had to check with another colleague, who also did not understand the question. So he had to go fetch his manager. This is a hotel that had two tour groups in when I stayed there, both American. I find it amazing that a hotel catering for such groups have staff that can't understand a very understandable, common question in the English language. However, I would also say that the 'service' at breakfast appears quite haphazard, in complete contrast to dinner (different staff), so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

My next trip to London will put me in the other Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, as the rates for November for this hotel were higher than Mayfair.

Room Tip: Floors Seven and Eight have non-smoking rooms.
1 Thank JoPilsworth
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Be careful when staying here that the taxi driver doesn't get it mixed up. happened to us after a big delay on the train. The hotel tried their best to get us a taxi but it was a busy time so not possible. Our first 2 night stay was perfect. We are gold Priority club members so the room and the breakfast was upgraded. Very nice. 10 days later when we stayed after our trip the duty manager would not let us have any b'fast and then offered us free wifi which club members are entitled to anyway. The manager AW was very rude and considered us to be lying about the booking even though were both made at the same time. So much for treating regular customers with priority. Has dampened our enthusiasm for the holiday inn group and I wonder how the rest of the hotels feel in the group being let down by one very rude person. 1 continental b'fast costs them about £3.00 so our club membership and regular stays are worth less than that. perhaps just going to the cheapest hotel is a better idea. The hotel is well placed but there are some closer to the railway station and they are cheaper.

Room Tip: the rooms are fine and its quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Martins012,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you found the level of service you received, less than satisfactory.

As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements to our service to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

While we understand that your overall experience with us was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B