“A strange and sorrowful hotel.....”
Review of Crowne Plaza

Crowne Plaza
Ranked #424 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Holiday Inn Kings cross. First. it's a misnomer and should be corrected as "Holiday inn Russel square" because it's faster and easier to find the way if you get there by tube..just get off from Russel square. Hotel is fine, room is large, and swimming pool is nice, breakfast is over average. But it's very STRANGE that all the staff were unhappy and sorrowful .. from house keeping, reception, fitness guard, and restaurant manager..........are they mourning for China's earthquake? I just don't know why...

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank HSIAOTZU
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza

Reviewed April 21, 2008

Stayed here for 1 night on business, with some trepidation given other reviews, but nothing else available.

Worst thing is the area it is in - I walked from King's Cross and felt uncomfortable after dark - alright in the day time I guess.

Room was huge, clean and comfortable. Check in was efficient, but I did observe others having difficulties.

Breakfast the next morning was absolutely fine.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank YorkshireUKtraveller
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I booked this hotel as it is within a 15 min walk to the Farrington station (which is where my company's UK office is located). After arriving at the hotel, a young man tells me he can't find our reservation. Thankfully I have a print out of the confirmation with me and give it to him. Its not enough. He asks my husband and I to wait in the bar while he calls Hotels.com. They are not able to get in touch with anyone at the 800# listed (you can not call certain 800# from the UK). I asked him if I could use his computer and was able to find a number that I could dial from the UK. I had to call Hotels.com and ask them to fax/email a copy of my itinerary to the hotel. Granted, this is after a 10 hour flight and lots of travel to/from the airport. So I am able to track down the manager and convince her to check us into a room as we are exhausted after the flight. We get into our room and she shortly calls us later to inform us that they got the booking from Hotels.com. IT ONLY GETS BETTER. I am working in the UK for a week and I have pre-paid the room for the week. My husband works from the room during the day (internet is an outrageous $90+ for the week!) - Housekeeping knocks on the door, and asks my husband why he is still in the room, as we should be checked out. If you can get over the incompetency of the staff, the room was clean and adequate.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank corcorjm
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Were quite concerned about staying here after reading some of the reviews, however we found the hotel to be excellent. Nice room, quiet, plenty of towels, toiletries etc, easy to check in and out. No smell of smoke anywhere and a lovely breakfast. Would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dennyann
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Far from metro (it seems impossible in London but that is...), unpleasant management (very, very rude and not so confident with their duties), rooms acceptable but icy.Moreover : if you arrive there in a crowded day, you can also wait 45 min to have your breakfast (no more than 20 tables for the continental breakfast)And ...watch out : the english breakfast costs 6 pounds more.......

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Hotel in a very run down & derelict area, a good 15 minute trek to the nearest tube station. Very few amenities in the area. Staff in general could not understand the simplest English. Front desk staff took 20mins to check us into our room even though we had booked a prepaid rate. Corridors reeked of cigarette smoke. Bathroom toilitries practically non existant. Very disappointing. There are so many nicer hotels in London, dont make the mistake of choosing this one.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We called this hotel after a great stay at a Holiday Inn outside of Canterbury. The room rate that we were given was exponentially less expensive than the rate that was posted on their "room rates" board located behind the front desk. The staff was nice to work with although English was obviously not the native language of everyone. The double room was large and clean. My advice for others planning to stay here is to explore the room a bit before concluding that it is ill-equipped, as most items (hairdryer, refrigerator, etc.) are inside drawers and the like. We had nice dinners in the restaurant on-site and enjoyed a delicious breakfast in the other restaurant located inside the hotel. Parking is limited and somewhat expensive but protected from the elements. Our overall experience here was pleasant and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family