“Nice Place to Stay for Long”
Review of Crowne Plaza

Crowne Plaza
Ranked #422 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Spent ten nights in a row. Needed a place close to the tube station Russel Sqaure, first choice was Holiday Inn Coram Street but King Cross provided cheaper rate and also within walking distance. Nice and friendly hotel staffs, eager to assist all the time. Room was pretty big though, nice, well managed and arranged properly. Bathroom well maintained too with bathtub. But the tap looked pretty old and little rusty in condition if looked closely. Comfortable stay overall. Breakfast system was interesting, continental and english category which I guess is available in all over london. Good breakfast menu "Continental", limited options but worth to go for. Hotel is associated to a restaurant, so easy to manage somehow. Location is perfect and within the reach of all major station and bus stop. One of the major drawback which I observe is the Paid Wifi which is really expensive even if it is for an hour. This is the only factor which I will consider not to go for it again in future stay. Other hotels within the vicinity provide internet free of cost. Staying for a long time costed me fifty pound for the wifi which I think was a useless expenditure but it was necessary for me to have the connectivity. Overall, hotel without the internet issue is just fantastic with all available amenities and a nice place to stay for business or leisure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Imransiddiqui82
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just arrived home after a one night stay at this hotel. Reception staff were friendly and very helpful with directions and buses etc. Room was very clean, very comfortable beds and bathroom was very clean. Would not hesitate to book here again.

Room Tip: a very short walk to Kings Cross train station approx 10 to 15 mins.
1  Thank happymum178
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I recently booked this hotel through last minute.com secret hotels. As many of you well travelled and internet savvy people will know, secret hotels are not really that secret. A quick google revealed this to be the Holiday Inn in Kings Cross.

Before booking I called to ask if kids can use the spa area as my two have always wanted to know what they are like. I was delighted to hear they could, so I booked as we were visiting London already that day. The hotel is quite a walk from Kings Cross station and in the early dark nights of the winter I was unsure where to go. The local area is a little drab and unappealing.

We arrived at the grand looking hotel reception and checked in fine without any problems. The room however was very dissapointing. It was small, with damaged furniture, dirt in the bath and we even found a pair of boys pants under our bed! We requested firm pillows from reception and 2hrs later they were still not with us. We called again and they were duly delivered.

The next day, before we headed out we went to the ozone health club. This was nice but cost £10 for the family (this should eb included) and the jacuzzi only had 1 working jet! The kids could not use the sauna and the pool was very small. In fact I think it took me 6 strokes from one end to the other.

Even though it was an acceptable £93 for the night, I know I could have got much better quality in London for that price. Will I return? No. Would I recommend? Only if everywhere else is full.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BB3LL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear BB3LL,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I apologize that you had some items that are not working in the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed overnight on 26th January.We had twin double bed room on 4th floor.The room had fridge,tea and coffee facilities, hairdryer, air con and a nice bathroom with ample body and hair gels and soaps and ample towels in good condition.
We went for a swim and steam which cost £3.50, not a huge pool but we enjoyed it.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately we did not eat at the hotel as there are lots of restaurants just up the road at Exmouth Market and we chose to eat at the Thai Restaurant but not a good choice for us, we did not enjoy it.
After a comfortable night we walked up to the Cafe Maya which is just up the road on the corner.
It was very clean and friendly and the breakfast was lovely, a good start to the day.
I would stay at this hotel again .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Average rating given but borderline very good. If you've stayed at Holiday Inns before you'll know what to expect and this one doesn't disappoint.

Usual rooms, I booked a standard double but was given a large room with 2 double beds, which although nice in that the room was spacious 2 double beds for just me was a bit of a waste, I resisted the temptation to use one as a trampoline!

I didn't eat there on this occasion but from previous experience I can recommend the in-house Indian restaurant, to either eat in or as room service. There's also plenty of really good places to eat very nearby at Exmouth Market.

For those not familiar with London don't be fooled by the hotel name, it's about a 15-20 min walk from Kings Cross station and the nearest underground station.

Room Tip: It's a big hotel with lots of rooms but ask for an upgrade, especially if arriving late.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Mark C,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the amenities of the hotel. I apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Good bits - the pool, the breakfast, the staff in the Indian restuarant.
Bad bits - flies/midgies by the pool, very expensive wifi, sofa-bed for children too small, horrible woollen blankets, stuffy hot room - unable to open windows, cold bar area, very rude member of staff in the bar - got an order wrong then huffed and puffed when asked to change it, then slammed the order down on the glass table in front of my children - was also seen pinching chips off other customers plates.
Seems the bad points outnumber the good points, i wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear MissyST,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you liked our pool and our breakfast exceeded your expectations. On the other hand, please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ideal hotel for short visit to London.Took my daughter and grandchildren,aged 11, 15. For a theatre and shopping spree. Hotel staff extremely friendly and informative. Leisure centre a bonus,small and welcoming. We had lite bite in the hotel on two occasions,good food.Breakfast was also ,well presented and plentiful.Lady in charge restaurant extremely helpfully and pleasant,nothing was too much trouble for her. On morning of departure luggage was left in hotel luggage room till late afternoon,enabling us to sight see ,having checked out of hotel room. I would reccomend this hotel for its cleanliness, friendly staff and food at an acceptable price.