“Exerlent hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #465 of 1,089 Hotels in London
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Exerlent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Just returned after a weekend in London short walk from kingscross or taxi was less than a fiver
Rooms were spotless everything you need lovely and warm tv kettle coffee tea toiletries .
English breakfast was perfect when we went a 9am saw the q at 9.45 glad we went early
Staff were polite and very helpful
Really enjoyed our stay .

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank juliedawnw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

The Holiday Inn brand is predictable. English hotels are also predictable. This does not fail in that regard.
Slighlty shabby and in need of some paint touch up and a "freshening up" of the rooms. Bathroom with the usual yet avoidable black mould inthe grouting and high prices for everything including the wifi. My biggest complaint is the
outrageous £245 a night for what is a very average middle of the road hotel. Extremely bad value. Luxury prices and not even a mint on the pillow. For that money there is better value elsewhere in London.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Lymphada,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation specifically with the condition of the room and the price that you have paid. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I booked 21 days in advance and so got a cheaper rate - stayed in an executive room-which was luxurious and very comfortable- great views across London, could see the Gerkin and St Pauls. " small bottles of wine brought to room-which was an unexpected lovely welcome treat.
Breakfast was really nice but luckily we went early-it was the weekend and it got very busy later with people having to queue, no pots of tea, just hot water flasks on the buffet and you made your own in the cup- but staff really nice and helpful
Enjoyed the leisure facitlities- my only moan- Had to pay £3.50 each-I felt as a resident it should be free.
Bus stop straight outside and underground near by so perfect for base to see London.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alilittle
Waterloo, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had a very good weekend at this hotel and simply dont understand the critics. The staff were very friendly and helpful with checking us in early, sightseeing questions etc. The hotel is located in the centre of 3 underground stations, so handy when going different places. Yes, the hotel is places about 10-15 minutes walk away from those stations, but it is really not a problem and our children had no problems walking the distances even after a long day. We had taken the continental breakfast and it was more than enough for us. I took tea as I know from experience not to drink coffee in UK except for coffee bars. There were plenty of cereal, toast, croissants (my son loved them and said that they are just as good as those in Belgium where we live), juice etc. The room was fine, though the airco a little noisy, but we turned it down. Overall a very good stay and would return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mette L
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel was comfortable and clean, bit pricy for what you get, and you have to pay for wifi, which I really don't think is appropriate for a hotel that caters for the business user. It's a bit impersonal but I suppose you expect that from a hotel that probably caters for the the short stay business user rather than the longer term holiday maker.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alistair M
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I landed in this hotel via a hidden deal on Travelocity.com. They said it was a 4-star hotel in Paddington / Islington at 55% off. I was very optimistic, even when I found that it was a Holiday Inn. Holiday Inns typically aren't 4-star accomodations, and well, neither was this one.

It's new-ish, it's clean enough (although there was a splotch of yogurt or something on my TV all four days I was there), but so are many 3-star hotels. For what you get here, it's incredibly over-priced. The nightly rate posted in the lobby in November 2012 was 280 British Pounds Sterling. That comes out to $445 per night for a hotel that:

--Charges $17.35 per day (10.95 pounds) for internet access. What 4-star charges for internet access?

--Has three elevators for at least 300 rooms and 8 floors. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, the wait for an elevator exceeded 10 minutes.

--Is utterly and completely devoid of charm. You could convince yourself you were at an airport hotel in the US - there is absolutely nothing to tell you you're in London.

--Charges $22 (13.90 pounds) for a buffet breakfast - the same breakfast you can get for 5 pounds in any pub in London. I didn't have it (because I'm not lazy enough not to walk two blocks to a pub), so I can't tell you if it's mind-blowing and awesome, which it should be for that price. I'm rating breakfast "terrible" because what family of four could afford it?

--Has the least-attractive lobby bar of any hotel I've been in for 10+ years. It has the charm of a basement storage room.

--Has thin, worn-out towels. I had to use two after a shower. Luckily, I was traveling alone.

--Has no safe in the room. No safe! What 4-star doesn't have a safe?

--Has no ATM. They will send you two blocks away to a post office ATM.

This hotel is a brisk 10-15 minute walk to King's Cross Station. There is a bus (the 63) that will take you there in 10 minutes, but it's a wash between waiting for the bus and just walking it (I did both). There's nothing around it that is worth seeing (unless you like huge construction sites and big post office parking lots).

This is no 4-star hotel. I feel like they gave themselves four stars so they could charge more. It's a 3-star at best, and a very expensive one. I'm not cheap, and I like staying in nicer hotels, so I'm not just sore over the price (remember, I got this on a reduced deal). But if I had stayed there at full price, I would have been very disappointed and annoyed indeed at the lack of charm and amenities.

Room Tip: This hotel allows smoking. The smoking rooms smell pretty awful. Make sure you ask for non-smoking i...