“No more than you'd expect, and at rack rate massively overprices”

Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross
Ranked #459 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Kampala, Uganda
“No more than you'd expect, and at rack rate massively overprices”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here one night - it was ok, good bathroom but uncomfortable bed. Very very soft, so that any movement was magnified. Far from the worst hotel around but would hate to pay rack rate of £260. Also far from public transport so either a longish walk or a taxi is required.

Room Tip: Would suggest another hotel :-) But seriously sure they are all adequate
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Tipton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

A nice hotel, perfect location for what me and my wife needed it for. It was very quiet and we had a good nights sleep. Only downside was the queue for breakfast, we decided to upgrade though and found that part to be much quieter. Would stay again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David B
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel was good, family rooms were fine (though not overly large.) The bar area was nice, and made the kids feel welcome. The Indian restaurant did likewise, and also served really good, authentic dishes with good service and at reasonable prices (for London or anywhere else in the UK.) Main downsides are that the hotel isn't near a tube stop (though taxis pass regularly and charge about £4 to get to King's cross / St Pancras) and we had to "discuss" our pre-paid bill with reception for ages until they accepted they didn't need to recharge us on check-out: a bit annoying. Probably wouldn't use again due to location to public transport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wales
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at HI KC in middle of the 90's and it was not a good experience ........... but due to all my usual hotels being full, tried it again.
Kings Cross on last visit was full of working girls & drug dealers, a very seedy & unsafe area to walk at night, and in fact a tourist got murdered across the road the week I was there. Kings Cross has changed a lot, it has really cleaned up, lots of restaurants & bars .. .and no longer the seedy area it was..
Be warned the Hotel is not that close to Kings Cross station .... quite a walk if you have suitcases.
The hotel has had a lot of money spent on it ... reception changed completely , new bright,open, and happy reception staff, check-in went fine .. As I was on room only rate, I asked if I could buy a breakfast voucher - normally on HI, if you buy voucher night before - you get significant discount ... told this is a franchise Holiday Inn and not providing normal offerings.
I had an upgrade room, which was large, modern in style & clean, the bed was OK,. and I had a good nights sleep ... so that side of things were fine.

Thought I'd try the sauna & pool .... to be told there is a charge, at £271 for a single night (room only) you don't expect to have to pay to use the sauna ! - poor!, no in fact it's absolutely scandalous.
That night I was about to walk to a restaurant and noticed a sign saying "Rasa" - Indian speciality restaurant in-house, took a look at the menu, and recognised almost nothing .......... as a very regular Indian restaurant visitor this intrigued me .
The restaurant was good ... very good food, very different choices, lamb was extremely tender - recommend Rasa for sure, and it was competitive with restaurant prices - recommended.

Now the serious downside - Breakfast was £13.95, not particularly expensive ... but not worth it, not worth it at half that price
It was like a school canteen ... poor choice of cereals, poor choice of fruit, the cooked food was extremely unappetising ... hash browns were round potato croquettes .. and looked under cooked, sausages were only cooked on one side .... bacon was a oily fat ridden mess .... people had to peel apart pieces .... terrible.
Fried eggs all exactly the same shape, are they cooked by automated machine ? and scrambled egg that looked like dark yellow breadcrumbs.
No waiter service for coffee ... go help yourself from a machine ...
This was the worst breakfast I have come across in any Holiday Inn ...
Maybe it will be another 15 yrs before I go back again ... if not and I do stay there ... I'll go buy breakfast coffee & Panini at a coffee shop .... far better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Dog_Spheroids,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that you have given us a four star rating on Rooms, Cleanliness, and Sleep Quality. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 18, 2012

As our son lives in the neighborhood, we chose the Holiday Inn Kings Cross. And we are very pleased with our choice: a quiet, updated, clean and efficient hotel. The staff are very helpful and very considerate. I am disabled and the hotel is easy to navigate -- ramps at entry and into the restaurant(s). Rooms comfortable and roomy (again, for London). Perhaps the only negative for some travelers will be the fact that nearest tube stops are Farringdon or Russell Square, each at least a half-mile walk from the hotel. Excellent bus service makes up for that, however, and cabs are always available. The hotel restaurant is quite adequate and reasonably priced (yet again, for London). It has an excellent child's menu, serves surprisingly good pasta, a very good fish and chips. Also on the premises is an excellent Indian restaurant, Rasa Maricham (see separate review). The one notable surprise is a variable room rate that means that your room rate fluctuates on a daily basis, based on occupancy. Ours varied from L135 to L215 in twelve nights and was only the same twice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night with family members, so saw 4 different rooms - an executive, two twins and a double.

Good things about the hotel are the quiet central location, the adequate rooms and breakfast buffet. The rooms are fairly standard but do vary in size - of the four we were in the double was the smallest without an easy chair, one room had a fridge, in the others there was an empty space, one twin had one easy chair, the other two. The executive (and one twin) looked out towards St Pancras, the others had a view over a quiet internal courtyard. The executive had a stocked mini bar, bottles of water and better toiletries.

If you can get a good price I think this is a good place for a London stay. It's not luxurious, but it's not budget either with a bar and large restaurant.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Room was clean & modern, breakfast fresh & adequate & location perfect for a Mum & her 2 girls traveling alone on their first visit to London, easy access to underground, etc. On this basis alone I would stay again. However, on our first night our room which was right next to reception & breakfast room. I had to complain at reception at 1.30am as for 2 hrs it was as if someone directly above was moving house, furniture moving pacing up & down, etc. kept me awake if not my girls, then at 6.00am breakfast set up started so not exactly a good nights sleep! My request to move room night 2 was met and all in all it was much better, although still quite noisy from early morning.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear plouigno,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I'm glad you noticed the cleanliness of the room. It is also nice to know that you liked our breakfast. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to the noise. Rest assured that this matter will be addressed. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen G.