Crowne Plaza London Kensington
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
2,688 results
All reviewsthe club loungetube stationumami restauranttwo double bedsduplex suitethe natural history museumcromwell roadunagiwaitrose supermarketoverlooking the gardenthe royal albert hallpiccadilly lineholiday innheathrow airportconcierge staffhyde parkexcellent location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We stayed at this Hotel a recommendation from our travelling friends during our European circuit ending in a 4 night stay at this hotel. The location is very convenient and recent renovations have given the Hotel a plush and pleasant ambience. Situated across the road from prime transportation hubs such as Gloucester Rd station and the Hop on Hop off bus make travel to and from very easy.
We had the pleasure of staying in one of the 2 floor suites, very sumptuous indeed, as my wife was recovering from a broken ankle I could easily run downstairs when she saw how much I spent in Harrods. (Handy)
Privileges associated with this room category includes the use of the Cub room for breakfast each morning, drinks / canapés at night and free internet ,fantastic ,the garden area is great for afternoon drinks and those naughty cigar smokers.

All staff that displayed and personified an efficient friendly courteous manner from reception, concierge to all general service staff. We would also like to thank Michael, the General Manager who was an excellent host and drinking partner .We travelled with Debbie (a reviewer) and yes he did assist us on how to get to the Tower of London, all on his own time.

We will return to London and will certainly stay at the Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn Kensington.

Thanks again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michso
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2009

Bless you for those nice words.

Oh those yummy suites - and now with the added feature of escaping from overspending partners by running downstairs - that made me smile!

Sounds as though you made good use of our luvverly Club Lounge - we have some new custom made furniture going in soon, including a loveseat pour le romance et le billet doux (which I thought meant 2 tickets pardon my French)

So Michael is now a drinking partner is he? Aside from leaving work early he's now imbibing alcohol! The lush. Wait until I see him...

Reviewed July 29, 2009

We had a brilliant stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel in London. We stayed with children aged 7 and 10 for two nights in an American style double, double room with a stylish bathroom. The beds were extremely comfortable, just what was needed after a long days sightseeing. The kids did ask if they could buy the beds to take home.
The Hotel was very clean and efficient with a cheerful friendly atmosphere. Breakfast was very nice and the service was excellent. Hotel was well situated close to the Gloucester Road tube station, Natural History museum, V & A and the Science museum. Overall the hotel was perfect for our trip and would certainly recommend it to our friends with the firm belief that they would still be our friends when they return.
I was delighted to meet Mr Lee Sylvester, the author of trip advisor hotel replies, as well as the guest services lift notice. He kept me entertained on the internet for an evening reading his comments. I have to say that the lift was cosy and we did get to know other guest intimately on the long journey up and down the building. (The hotel was busy at the start of school holidays) I understand that another lift is being installed. Almost a shame really!
Thank you for a great stay.

(I hope I have punctuated this properly as I know someone who may be checking.)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank travelcow
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2009

Fans! Thank you. I must thank my parents for having me, my agent, and of course my old English teacher who was a real tartar but drummed into me the need for loving the English language. And then I go and spoil it with slang and made up words!

It was really nice to have met you that day in the lobby, real people in the flesh rather than the computer I normally interact with!

It’s lovely to read that you had a great stay with us, it makes us all warm and fuzzy inside. The comfy beds keep getting a mention, so it would it be churlish of me to comment. Again. BEDS!

Oh, and your English was perfect ;-) We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed July 27, 2009

I had a pretty good stay at Crowne Plaza Kensington.

The location is excellent. It is easy to catch a taxi from the front of the hotel, and also the tube station (served by Piccadilly and the line that also serves Paddington - Circle line, I think) is just a very, very short walk away, which makes it very convenient to get to/from Heathrow whether I catch the tube or Heathrow Express.

The front desk staff was helpful and let me check in despite my rather early arrival (around 11:30 am from memory). The concierge, Raj, initially appeared to be potentially a little gruff but turned out to be a rather helpful, nice chap.

I do not think I got an upgrade (I'm a Priority Club gold) as I was given a fairly small room, but it didn't really matter as I was only there as somewhere to sleep and was by myself. The room was small but of adequate size to repack my multiple suitcases with things spread all over everywhere, so it was not 'that' small either.

The room was decorated in a fairly modern way, but without going too minimalistic. It was nice that there were halogen (?) downlights on the ceiling above the desk. It was good to have a room with a reasonable level of lighting (which cannot be said for many hotels).

The bathroom was small but functional and pleasant enough. Lighting could be a bit brighter though (I like the bathroom to be very, very bright - but then that's not very environmentally friendly, I guess). The magnifying mirror was too high for my height, but I suppose it's a bit hard to please everyone.

I quite liked the presentation of the bathroom toiletries - in a little can, although it threw me a bit initially. I also liked that the products were produced in the UK (well, Scotland).

Also provision of a free bottle of water, a packet of KitKat and a packet of biscuits on a tea/coffee making tray was a rather nice touch, and so was the inclusion of hot chocolate on the tray (again, not all 4*/5* hotels provide hot chocolate sachets).

The problem of a knock on the door at 8 am by housekeeing that was mentioned by someone here happened to me too, but then again, I should have put the Do No Disturb sign on the door, so mea culpa. Besides I was well and truly awake anyway, so luckily it did not cause me any inconvenience. Besides, the housekeeping lady was rather apologetic about having disturbed me (even though I didn't complain), so all was forgiven about the somewhat early morning knock on the door.

I could not get my laptop to get on the allegedly free WiFi - the signal was too weak. It did not inconvenience me as I carry a USB dongle for mobile broadband, but if I was reliant on the hotel Internet, I may have found it annoying (the in-room information said WiFi was free but the cable connection provided in the room was not).

I also couldn't find a room service menu. I wasn't hungry so I was not going to order it, but I was looking for it out of curiosity. I did not contact anyone to ask about it because there was no point in troubling anyone for something I was not going to really use, but placing it somewhere more prominent would be a good idea, if the management is reading this.

Just for the information of other travellers who may fancy getting some 'random food' (crisps etc), there is a late-night Tesco Express nearby, as well as Waitrose across the road, which makes the hotel even more convenient. (To non-UK travellers - they are supermarkets.)

Overall, I was happy with my stay, especially considering I only paid just over £100 for the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank JM00321

Muchos thanks for the nice review – fabulous level of detail which helps us no end.

I was a little mystified at the lack of a Room Service Menu so I did a little digging – after being asked to put my shovel down and leave the garden I then investigated the missing menu instead. I have deduced that you may have stayed whilst we were in the process of changing the content of the menu and either your room was missing one or we had yet to put the new menu in. I hope this solves the riddle.

Glad you liked the toiletries and their unusual presentation – at first glance it looks like we haven’t put any nice little bottles in the bathroom, but open the “Box of Delights” (with apologies to John Masefield) and you will find the lovely smellies within. We are going to install a metal detector at the hotel entrance to make sure no one snaffles the box too...

Reviewed July 27, 2009

As previous writer we were woken up at eight by an eager cleaning lady but let me tell you, that wasn’t near the worst part of our stay. When checking in I couldn’t use my corporate visa card cause it didn’t have a PIN. I’ve used that card at fifty other hotels but never mind.. The explanation was that it might be stolen. The card had my name on it, I had my passport, my EU drivers license but sure…stolen. So after transferring money between accounts they reserve 550 pounds from my private VISA. Anyhow, they give us our keys; we wait for the one working elevator for a couple of minutes, enter the room and oh; people already staying in that room, big surprise! After 30 min we get another room, this time unoccupied. I went down to talk to the duty manager who wasn’t there, they called for him but after 20 min and no one showing up we decided to hit the city, couldn’t be bothered. When checking out, they charge me 400 pounds for our two nights. They also kept the 550 they reserved for another ten days, something that wouldn’t have been a problem if it wasn’t for the fact that I had to use my private VISA cause they wouldn’t let me use my corporate card. Apart from all this the hotel is nice, clean, breakfast OK and the location is superb if you like to stay in west London. Also excuse my English, not my native language.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank nzswe
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2009

Thank you very much for your thoughts on our payment procedure. Pin numbers for credit cards are now very common place and as 1 January 2005 the onus on preventing fraud moved to the retailer - since this time we have followed Company procedures to help prevent credit card fraud that both benefits our customers and our business. Chip & Pin technology has drastically reduced credit card fraud and our procedures represent best practice in the industry.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

I have just returned from our European adventure which ended with a 4 night stay at this hotel. I have stayed here before, returned for the convenience and was delighted with the sensational renovations. The hotel is situated right across the road from Gloucester Rd station so it is incredibly easy to get to and from the airport with no fuss and a simple ride away from all the London sites.

We were upgraded to the lovely 2 floor suites and had so much room we didn't know what to do with ourselves. Fantastic! I read previous reviews about the towels - yes, they are thick, warm and cuddly!! :)

We were able to use the club room where we had our breakfast each morning (delicious) and it was a bonus to be able to use the free internet facilities while we were there. We also made sure we made it back each day for the free canapes and drinks. A great way to relax after spending a heavy shopping day at Harrods (my husband drowned his sorrows!). The weather on our last day was so pleasant we also used the garden area for afternoon drinks.

All staff that we came in contact with were efficient (without being efficious), friendly and professional. From the lovely Polish girl at reception to the beautiful Australian Sarah who served our drinks in the club room - thank you. An extra thank you to Michael who was a wonderful host and not only told us how to get to the Tower of London - he travelled on the underground with us.

We can't wait to go back to London and will definitely return to the Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn Kensington.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DebCh

Well ta muchly for the review. I have only one question really – if Michael (the big boss) accompanied you on the tube to the Tower of London was he sneaking off work early? He’s an outrageous mountebank if he did! He should be here singing Petula Clark songs.

Sounds like you had great fun in one of our suites, those towels are indeed lovely. I trust your husband has recovered from your spending in Harrods, if not get him to open a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale and hide the credit card bill when it arrives.

I will make sure that I pass on your comments to the staff members you mentioned, including Michael if he hasn’t sneaked off work early...