“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #127 of 1,067 Hotels in London
scotland
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel.

Very impressed with large room and convenient location. After reading reviews I requested a garden view and this was allocated.

Arrived at 10am after an early flight and expected to leave our bags and come back to check in later but we were given our room straight away giving us the chance to settle in.

All staff were friendly and helpful, only reccomendation would be to put do not disturb sign out as housekeeping were at the door from 8am but cannot complain about this after the early check in we got.

• Stayed May 2009
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Ever since our metamorphosis we keep getting such lovely reviews - you could toast a crumpet on the warm smiles around the building.

Good advice on here to put out your Do Not Disturb sign if you want a lie in - our certified sqeuak-free housekeeping team are very efficient!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ABERDEEN
Reviewed May 6, 2009

My husband and I turned up at the Crowne Plaza Kensington after being let down by another hotel we had booked and the Manager and his assistant were very understanding and helpful. We paid for two nights on our Priority Club Points and one night by Mastercard and were given a Club Room for the whole stay, although the points did not cover that. The room was excellent, underfloor heating in the bathroom, a queen size, very comfortable bed, safe, plazma TV, french door windows, leather chair, the works. The only thing I would say is that the air con wasn;t as cold as I would have liked and luckily we were on the 4th floor and could open the french door windows safely overnight. The breakfasts, although a little pricey at 17.50 per person, were excellent and well exceeded the Forums breakasts and service. This hotel is well worth the money and we will definitely be recommending it to everyone we know and will definitely be using it again. I have never been at a hotel ever where the staff are so freindly and helpful. It's a pity I can't remember their names, obviously they take pride in their jobs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
A whopping great thank you from the team here, it's so nice to know that our people were so friendly and helpful.

The Club Rooms are super-smashing-great, to coin a phrase. It's great to here our guests love 'em too. And anyone who says we are better than another hotel is especially welcome back!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I spent three nights at this hotel recently on a business trip to Imperial College. The hotel is very conveniently located in terms of restaurants, tube, and sightseeing. Te area itself is pretty nice (particularly as one heads north towards Hyde park). The room was quite spacious, clean, and nicely furnished. The staff was very friendly and
courteous, both at the front desk and the StreetSide restaurant where I had dinner one night. The food itself was so-so though as is typical of hotel restaurants. The hotel
was still undergoing some renovations as part of its transition to Crowne Plaza and so there was a lingering smell of fresh paint on my floor (1st floor).

My biggest complaint was the frustratingly awful internet connection: the ethernet port on the wall didn't appear to be functional, while the wireless network (CPK_Service) was very unreliable with signal strength varying quite frequently from great signal to no signal. It'd also take many minutes to get an IP address, and often it seemed that the DNS server was not responding properly and even well known web sites such as google, gmail etc. were getting redirected to banner pages. On the other hand, the wireless network was free... so I imagine I shouldn't complaint too much. But I'd have happily paid for a more reliable connection.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Lingering smells of paint no more - we have arrived. The Holiday Inn London Kensington is now the Crowne Plaza London Kensington, and she looks gorgeous.

Sorry to hear about the interweb issues, I've asked our IT boffins what IP and DNS mean, and I'm still none the wiser...they did tell me that they are putting more little mushroom-things on the ceilings to boost the signal strength of the free wifi. Whatever happened to typewriters?
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Loved this hotel and put it on my favourites alongside the Crowne Plaza in Liverpool.
Room was outstanding and the barmen was great, sitting outside having a meal and a drink in the hidden garden, in the centre of London was fabulous, would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a great hotel to stay in.
Very close to Gloucester road tube for Heathrow.
i have stayed in many London hotels and this is near the top of the pecking order for me.
I do not normally give such a high rating in my reviews, but this was 100% for me

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Bless you for thinking of us as a favourite! And for saying such nice things about us too - we're all having squishy moments of happiness and then some!

Oh the garden. Lovely little one acre haven away from pounding the streets and museums - we're all keeping an eye out for the new garden furniture too which is due any day now. I might move the office outside...if the summer ever arrives...
pacific palisades, CA
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Booked a double-double on the executive floor for two adults, two children (3rd floor). Room was modern and up to date with small bay window overlooking Cromwell Rd. No noise from street. Kids loved the "fab" up to date look. Parents loved the location and space. Very comfortable.
Service was great from bringing us ice to loaning umbrellas. 1st and 2nd floor renovations currently being completed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
A "fab" comment for our designer - I can hear a champagne cork popping somewhere (sadly not right next to me!).

Glad to hear you had a great time with us, and the great news is that the last of the bedrooms are back with us and ready for use. Maybe it's time I should have a lie down!
Maryland
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I purchased a single night stay at this hotel in order to spend an additional night in London after purchasing a trip through British Airways. My scheduled hotel was across the street at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. Unfortunately, the Forum was booked, and I had to stay here.
Upon arrival, I found that the hotel was undergoing a new paint job, and the front door was being blocked by the painters. There was no clearly marked entrance into the hotel, and I had to inquire to the painters as to where the entrance was located.
Upon finding the temporary entrance, which led into the bar/lounge area, I found that door to be too narrow to allow luggage to easily be taken through. Whats worse, no hotel staff was there to assist us in getting in through theses doors. Upon arrival, I found the entire lobby and bar area to be awash in the smell of latex paint. Almost nauseating.
Check-in was easy enough, and we found the room to be acceptable. It was clean, neat, and quaint. It consisted of no real view, aside from that of another building, but I wasn't staying in this hotel for a view from a window, so it didn't bother me. The only real problem I found was that the volume on the television was not adjustable, which was an annoyance.
Upon getting settled into the room and going out for the day, we returned to find that the elevator/lift was out of service. This required us to walk up 6 floors to our room. Upon checking out the next day, we found that the elevator/lift was still out of service, and we requested a bell hop to carry our luggage down.
We received no apologies from the hotel staff for the inconvenience, and we checked out without any further issues.
I recommend that staying at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum across the street would provide a better experience for less money, and hassle!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
HospitalityLondon, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, April 20, 2009
Oh dear, seems we haven’t won over a HI Kensington Forum guest. It’s true we are a very different hotel and are within a whisker of upgrading to Crowne Plaza London Kensington. Our main entrance has been reinstated after the doors were changed to nice glass-slidey ones, and as I have mentioned on here before our temporary lounge entrance right next to the main entrance was enhanced with a big sign and some snazzy zinc planters to help locate it. Our concierge chaps were positioned opposite our lounge entrance and would help anyone in, I can only guess that they were helping other guests at the time. Even our lovely restaurant people help out where possible.

We’ve made no secret of our refurbishment and kept prices at Holiday Inn rates for a Crowne Plaza product – sadly refurbishment involves paint, but I’m sorry to hear it didn’t agree with your olfactory senses – aside from pretty things like flowers and vases and the like our major building work is at an end. The lift refurbishment does continue and a brand new one will be with us very shortly whilst we then change the remaining one.

I do hope you reported the TV sound – we’re hoping that a brand new LCD TV hasn’t developed a fault. A stiff word with the manufacturer might be in order!

Quaint. That’s a new one on us – can’t wait to tell that to the designer!
richmondva
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I thought finding a hotel for two adults and two children would be pretty easy in London. I had a reasonable budget in mind and a couple of locations to choose from. The problem was finding a decent hotel that would sleep four people in a room. I found hotels with rooms with two single beds, or one double. Or one double bed with a sleeper sofa. Ugh! So, I went to the tried-and-true Holiday Inn. Sure enough, a room with two double beds. The price was not cheap but was comparable to a Holiday Inn in a big city like New York.

I agree with everyone that the hotel is in a good location. The tube station is literally across the street and even a pick up point for the red tour buses. There are plenty of restaurants and take-aways in the neighborhood so you don't have to eat in the hotel restaurant. The major museums are within walking distance.

Most of the renovation seemed to be completed. I was pleasantly surprised with the rooms. I knew they would be nice since they were renovated but they had plenty of room. Our room had a bay window which was a small sitting area. Having that space made the room feel more, well, roomy. It is still a small room but it wasn't as cramped as most hotel rooms in large cities.

So if you are traveling with three other people, consider staying at this hotel. But do it quick. I have a feeling when the hotel upgrades the rooms will be even more expensive. I am glad I stayed when I did.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank costhull
Goody-gum-drops! We’re not sure if when you say “pleasantly surprised” it is a compliment though! We love our new bedrooms – now all we seasoned travelers know that US hotel bedroom sizes and UK hotel bedroom sizes are in general different. We offer a variety of sizes of bedrooms and price them accordingly – from our standard rooms through to various grades of gorgeous suites including our 4 signature suites (Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter).

I always love how people in these responses write “So you don’t have to eat in the hotel restaurant” – it makes us worry that we’re not giving a fair product for a fair price! There is a good selection of fast-food eateries nearby as well some nice sit-down restaurants with tables and cutlery to save you eating out of a poly-plastic wrapper on a street corner!