“Do not book here if you are a late arrival”

Crowne Plaza London Kensington
Ranked #119 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked this hotel because I have stayed in Crowne Plaza hotels before and also for the location. The hotel was a disaster for start to finish, however, I will only comment on the one biggest error of all. I honestly have to advise you NOT to stay in this hotel if you are planning a late arrival time. I booked my 10 night stay directly with the hotel and specifically stated late checking-in time – I was assured that it would not be a problem. I specifically called Crowne Plaza reservations directly to ensure that the late arrival message was relayed – no middle man, no discount website etc. We arrived after midnight (later than anticipated due to delay in Heathrow airport) to notice the concierge running away for the door, we had to heave 4 extremely heavy suitcases up steps and into reception. The receptionist told us that we didn’t have a reservation for the night as the hotel was fully booked. They didn’t even have the foresight to prioritise the customers who were staying 10 nights. We were shoved into a car and driven to London Bridge Hotel (fantastic hotel, so professional and Crowne Plaza should learn a few tips on customer service from them) but the driver didn’t know where he was going, got lost and then excepted us to get out of the car and find our own way to hotel with all our bags??! Where was the hidden camera? The whole experience was just so insulting bad from start to finish that we cut our stay short and departed early. The final insult of all was at check-out. The hotel had the audacity to charge us for the night accommodation that we did not stay in the hotel. Oh and they also charged us for the ‘complimentary’ breakfast they extended to us as an apology for the over booking. There are plenty of hotels on offer in the Kensington area and please please consider booking them ahead of Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
4  Thank Munch09
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Munch09
I am very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you and your friend on the first night of your stay with us and that we had to move you to another hotel when you arrived; I fully apreciate how frustrating this must have been so late at night and after a long journey.
I know that my Hotel Manager did do his very best to make the rest of your stay with us comfortable and that he gave you an upgraded room as well as access to our club lounge which offers a complimentary breakfast and early evening bar. He also arranged for all your international telephone calls to be on a complimentary basis as well as internet access.
I was very surprised to hear that the taxi that took you to the London Bridge Hotel did not know the way and that he asked you to get out and walk - that is most unusual since London taxi drivers are reknowned for their knowledge and the tough exam they have to go through. I hope you did not encounter any difficulty with the taxi we arranged to bring you back to our hotel the next day or the complimentary cab we arranged to take you to your meetings.
It is a shame you did not take up the offer we made to you to have dinner on us in our new Asian restaurant as I am sure you would have enjoyed it. Umami offers a range of authentic dishes from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia and it has been getting very good reviews since it opened in March.
I hope that your experience on this occassion will not deter you from using Crowne Plaza Hotels again in the future.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed here for 3 nights 21st to24th September 2012 having stayed many times before.
The hotel has been re furbished to a very high standard with attractive public, lounge and bar areas.
The staff were pleasant and helpful.
Our bedroom was more than adequate for 3 adults having two large double beds. Bathroom facilities were fine but some brighter lights would be useful. Also the shaving mirror was a non starter, in the wrong place and not adjustable enough.
Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice either continental or full English.
Tube station Gloucester road and bus services to the West End on the doorstep.
All the major museums and the Royal Albert Hall are within walking distance.
Plenty of places to eat in the vicinity of the hotel.
Our family always feel comfortable staying at this hotel and have never encountered problems.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Barry M

Dear Barry M
Thank you for leaving feedback on our hotel, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the recent refurbishment.
I'm sorry that you found the shaving mirror was in the wrong place and couldn't be adequately adjusted, I'm not sure which room you were in, but will ask our housekeeper to check all the shaving mirrors to see if there are any that appear to be in the wrong position so that we can correct it.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My two teenage daughters and myself had an amazing stay at the Crowne Plaza Kensington to celebrate my eldest daughter's 18th birthday. I booked this hotel after using trip advisor and seeing all the positive reviews. I made an excellent choice. We loved our stay here. The night before our stay I had a telephone call from the consierge at the hotel asking for my daughters name as they knew it was her birthday. When we arrived we found a huge chocolate cake and a personalised card in the room for her - it was a great start to her birthday celebrations! A really thoughtful touch. The staff at this hotel are smart and professional yet extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was amazing with views of the garden at the back of the hotel - gorgeous. It was really clean and very comfortable and spacious. Plenty of room for the three of us. Bathroom was luxurious and shower really hot. We had breakfast at the hotel which was delicious and again the service was exceptional. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We went to watch Wicked in the evening which was out of this world. When we arrived back the consierge asked if we had enjoyed the show. All these little extra touches ensured my daughter thoroughly enjoyed her birthday stay and will remember it for years to come. I would recommend this hotel for convenience too. I am glad so many people reviewed it on trip advisor as they helped me in deciding to stay here - I am so glad we did.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank NickyHob
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear NickyHob
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased your daughter enjoyed her birthday visit to London and that you all found my team so welcoming and helpful.
I do hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

When I checked in on Monday evening my room had not been cleaned from the previous occupant. There were used tube tickets and used toiletries. There was a discarded letter addressed to the previous occupant. The bedding had not been changed. This is pretty basic stuff for any hotel. I called room service and they came and cleaned the room but this should never have happened.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Laurence C
I am so sorry that you were checked into a room that had not yet bbeen cleaned. That should never have happened, regardless of what time you arrived . Our reception and housekeeping are reviewing their communications to ensure that both teams are aware of which rooms are needed for arrivals and that no rooms are given to reception until they have been checked properly by a housekeeper.
I do hope this experience has not put you off using Crowne Plaza Hotels in the future, I can assure you this is not a normal occurrence at this or at any other of our hotels.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed two nights at this hotel but found my room was not the standard I would expect from Crowne Plaza. The carpets and furniture were stained. It all looked a bit dated. The desk was damaged with many chips out of it where the chair has bumped it. On the positive side, the beds and bathrooms were clean although there was mould on the bathroom ceiling. The lobby area was nicely fit out but gives a different impression to the rooms. For the price, this hotel was disappointing. Service received from the staff in this hotel was very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank darrenhouk

Dear Darrenhouk
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to our hotel and that you found the rooms dated, although I am pleased that you found the room and bathroom very clean and the service from my team very good also.
We have recently finished a £1million refurbishment of our ground floor and are now planning the replacement of much of the bedroom furniture, to enhance our bedroom experience.
I do hope you will be back again to see the constand improvements we are making to this hotel.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My friend and i decided to visit London for the first time, so the first thing we had in mind was where are we gonna stay....we needed to find a place that was close to central London and where we had close access to the tube station...and we found the perfect place.

The Crowne Plaza Kensington is just on the corner of the Gloucester Tube Station, so we were able to go back and forth all around the city...The hotel has a full service restaurant.. we ate breakfast there once since we usually slept all morning. They also have a very nice garden, but we never ate outside since it was very cold for me...since i live on a caribbean beach all year long, it is usually hot and this weather was a total change.But it is awsome and i love it!

The city itself is very cosmo and you get almost whatever you want, although it is very very expensive. Now back to the Hotel- we stayed there for a total of 8 days in september. The frontdesk is helpful but I can´t figure out what good to say about the concierges....Tony, Karim, Raj- these guys go above what you expect...they help so much with directions on getting around, lend we a british charger for my iphone, called taxi for us...everything. They were always there to help-my compliments. The maids always did a great job in the room placing clean towels every day...i had seen some previous reviews saying that the rooms were very small...No, they are just perfect and very accomodating with nice beds...

This hotel exceeded my expecations and if i were to ever go back to London, i would definately chose this hotel again...

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are very nice.
1  Thank George C
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear George C
Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to London and that you chose our hotel. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to our Concierge team who always do such a great job.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a twin room number 520, (two double beds), in a lovely room overlooking a garden, very quiet. We had free bottled water, chocolate and some lavender drops for the pillow, all very nice. The beds were very comfortable, and all the room facilities were first rate.
Breakfast was great and plentiful and the staff very helpful.
Altogether an excellent hotel and within walking distance to lots of sites to see.

Room Tip: We liked room 520, had nice view over gardens and an old church, and was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear harriete
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the beds so comfortable. Like all Crowne Plaza hotels, our Sleep Advantage programme means that we have superior beds and bed linen with luxury mattress toppers to provide the feeling of luxury.
Our deluxe rooms, one of which you had, offer extra space and have two double beds ( ideal for a family).
We look forward to being able to welcome you back again very soon.