“Expensive for a tiny room”

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #475 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Expensive for a tiny room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Room rate is expensive for the size of the room. I have a standard size suit case and once I open it, there is barely any space to walk. A mobile luggage rack is provided but if the suit case is place on top, it'll block the passage between the bathroom and the toilet. Check out experience was unsatisfactory. The staff asked if I had review the for infor bill send to my room. I did and they automatically charged the amount to my card. I later realised that an extra 5 pounds was charged to my card because I place my personal tug of yogurt in the fridge and took it out in the morning. They refunded the amount but did not provide me a final copy of my bill. I am still waiting for my final bill after several attempts to contact the hotel. Location is 5mins walk to Westfield mall if you want to do some shopping and don't want to be in central London. However, with this recent experience, I will choose to stay in central London with cheaper and bigger rooms.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Christine P,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us whilst on business.

I was sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. Perhaps if you return to stay with us in the future, you could upgrade to one of our Deluxe or Executive rooms? If you opt for an Executive room then this in turn will grant you exclusive access to our Executive Lounge. In addition, we can of course provide you with a fridge to have in your room for storage of any personal items. The mini bars in our guest bedrooms are set to a specific temperature and have sensors in them. I was disappointed to learn that we failed to send your invoice promptly, I understand you have received it now, however if this is not the case, please contact my PA, Holly (holly.randall@hilton.com) and she can look into this for you? In the meantime I will be speaking with the relevant departmental head to ensure that this delay is addressed to avoid any future guests being inconvenienced in the same way.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington in the future.

Linda Griffin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Its my third stay at the Hilton in London and the Service has improved a lot since last year.
Now i can honestly recommend this hotel for business or weekend trips. Very friendly staff and a good international breakfast. Ask for fresh Omelettes!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the high floors facing the back or the inner circle. They are more quite.
Dear Sven P,

I was delighted to learn that you are one of our loyal returning guests! I am also extremely grateful for your kind feedback and recommendations.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington for another great stay and more scrumptious omelettes!

Prague
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Hilton Hotel Kensington is not centrally located and so should be tailored to provide additional services and facilities that will attract its customers when staying in this part of London. Located between Holland Park and Shepherds Bush, this is hardly Kensington despite the name and being within 200 m of some very large peripheral roads. In this potential no-mans land is the Hilton "Kensington". It would help then if the owners could use the interior to create a place of refuge, relaxation and charm but it isn't. The staff were fabulous but the hotel is a mish-mash of modern, classic and dated furnishings with a bar that would be better placed in a low-cost airline transit lounge. It is a lonely sad plastic place with massive TV sets and banal furnishings and bright lighting. I bought a drink and left after a few minutes as it was so depressing. The only saving grace is the beds which were fabulous. very high and very comfortable but the rest does not say "Hilton"...it mumbles instead. The rates are not that low, so why also charge for WiFi when most of the guests are here on business. Even in the public areas, WiFi is charged. The hotel needs a lot of care and attention to convert it into the sort of place modern business travellers demand as the standard, Its not that difficult, I could do it myself as an architect for a modest fee, but hotels should be places that people remember and enjoy as when you are parked in this no-mans land at the bottom of Holland Park Avenue, your hotel becomes your home. My colleague also remarked that the equipment in the fitness centre was broken or not available - its the same attention to detail that management should be looking at. No complaints for the front desk or any of the staff, its just the tired dysfunctional hotel interiors and feeling that the guests will only ever stay there once (except for the airline crews who do find it convenient I presume to the nearby motorway) so why bother. By the way, other reviewers say the same, so why hasn't the management reacted.

Room Tip: Not facing Holland Park Avenue as this is a major road in the early mornings and evenings.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Fliegenkiwi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay. I was sorry to learn that you were not entirely happy with your stay.

With regards to our location, we are in fact very lucky to be based in such a beautiful and convenient part of London (W11 - West Kensington). We are outside of the congestion zone so perfect for guests wanting to travel by car and we are also, of course, a 5 minute walk away from Westfield, one of Europe’s largest shopping centres. In addition to this, the transport links from our doorstep will take you anywhere you want to go in London and our Concierge team have a wealth of knowledge of the City and what it has to offer. There is also many famous landmarks located near the hotel as well as Holland Park, Kensington Palace and Gardens and not forgetting the famous Portobello Road which are all within walking distance.

I must also take this opportunity to apologise for the evident miscommunication with regards to the wifi access. We do in fact provide all our guests with complimentary wifi in the lobby area and in addition to the wifi, we have six computers which our guests are welcome to use. These are connected to the internet and also, for the convenience of our guests, we also have a printer connected to those computers. For our Gold and Diamond HHonors members, complimentary access is provided complimentary throughout the hotel. If you would like to learn more about our internet access, do please contact a member of our reception team who will be happy to assist.

Thank you for the feedback on the rest of the hotel, for your information, our fitness equipment was 'tuned up' just this week following the feedback of your colleague.

I was delighted to learn that the team treated you well during your stay and we very much hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington in the future.

Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

the review for this hotel is a mixed one: the plus parts are: location (close (3 min) to Shepherd` Bush tube line and close to a huge shopping center- Westfield. you can walk to some great London attractions like Kensington gardens and from there you can walk to many other places. so,if you like to walk, the hotel is pretty OK located. the check-in was quick as well as the check-out. the personnel was OK.
the negative parts from my side is that for a 4 star hotel, there are some things that needs to be improved: there was no blow-drier in the bathroom and no slippers (i`ve just stayed in a 3 star hotel which had these). also, already known fact that there is no free WI-fi in the rooms is a downsize from my part

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sotir_Loredana,

Whilst I was pleased to learn that you and your friends enjoyed your stay here, I was not so pleased that you encountered some difficulties. Please accept my sincere apologies for the failings on our part.

I confirm that we do of course provide our guests with hairdryers and I am sorry you were unable to locate one in your closet where they are normally stored. Depending on the type of room reserved, guest’s special amenities including bathrobes and slippers which are in deluxe or executive rooms. In addition, if you are a member of our HHonors program, you also receive a variety of special extras. If you are not a member then perhaps if you stay with us again, our reception team can enrol you. Please note that it is completely free to join and is a no obligation scheme.

I hope to see you all back at Hilton London Kensington when you are next over from Romania.

Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Not a bad Hilton, good location,right smack in the middle of Shepherds Bush, pushing it a bit calling it the Hilton Kensingnton!!! But if it was called the Hilton Shepherds Bush, probably no one would stay there.

Which is unfair on Shepherds Bush, as it is one of the liveliest areas of London, without the London Centre RIP OFF Prices.

Hotel itself is pretty good, rooms are OK reasonable size, reasonable decor.

Exec Lounge pretty big and very busy, great staff in there, know how to look after you, and it is run as an Exec Lounge should be.

Location, very good, lots to do around the immediate area, literally across the road from the Tube all in all not a bad Hotel

Would stop there again

Good value for money

Room Tip: Good on all fronts - haggle about room rate
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Howie999,

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent business stay with us and I must thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

In addition to our fantastic team members, our location is another reason our guests keep returning. Based in West Kensington, we are in close proximity to a variety of famous landmarks, as well as great parks and the transport links from our doorstep take you anywhere you want to go. In addition, our guests can travel with their cars and use our secure underground car park without having to pay a congestion charge as we are located outside of the Congestion Zone.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and we very much hope to see you back at Hilton London Kensington soon.

Sussex, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have stayed at this property many times over the last 5 years. It became my hotel of choice when in London mainly due to the excellent executive lounge and constant recognition of Gold Hilton status with room upgrades etc.

All that seemed to change on my last visit in January 2014. No recognition whatsoever of my Gold status, despite being a published guaranteed benefit of the programme. I even asked if my hhonors number was on the reservation and was simply told yes it was.

The executive lounge which was once a restful area with very good offerings for afternoon tea and evening canapés had turned into a crowded, noisy room with limited food. I suspect the overcrowding is mainly because the hotel is now selling access at check-in so one person in a group buys access and then lets the others into the lounge for the evening drinks. Whatever the reason it's not good to have people standing around and rushing to grab seats as people leave. The food offerings were far poorer than on previous visits last year with very limited choices and quantity with most of the evening food being fried - tiny spring rolls, samosas etc. Only 1 vegetarian and 1 non-vegetarian choice now.

The good point is that although small, the rooms are generally clean and well maintained. The junior suites I have been upgraded to on previous stays were excellent. Location is also good both for Westfield Shepherds Bush shopping centre and central London with Oxford street being a 10 min tube ride on the central line.

Breakfast buffet is generally good but expensive if not included in your room rate.

In summary if you don't have Hilton status and can get a decent B&B rate this is a good hotel. If you have status and expect to received published benefits then look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank hzv5wk
Dear hzv5wk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I was most disappointed to learn that you feel the hotel is not meeting your expectation. I was even more disturbed to learn that as a HHonors member, you felt that you were not recognised as one. With regards to the Executive Lounge, we do indeed provide our guests with the option of purchasing access as a supplement to their rate . However, this is limited and we have a procedure in place whereby the receptionist within the lounge allows only those entitled to access to enter however we will follow this up to ensure the privileges are not being abused. We are delighted to upgrade our Gold and Diamond members HHonors to the next available room type when availability permits. Regretfully we are not always able to facilitate this privilege due to high occupancy but we try our utmost to do so.

On a more positive note, I must thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel and kind comments. It is always great to hear when a guest chooses Hilton London Kensington as their base and home away from home and I am just sorry that on your last stay, we failed to meet your expectations.

We very much hope that you give us an opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Lincs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Hotel is located within walking distance of Shepherds Bush tube station on the Central Line, and also on a main bus route to Oxford Street. It is also very close to Westfield Shopping centre if you need some retail therapy, or wanted to sample one of the myriad of restaurants located there.

The hotel itself has a large lobby, and a very nice bright lobby bar. The room was a little on the small side (this is London after all), but it was functional and clean. The room had air conditioning which seemed to work OK, but I wasn't there in the summer so can't tell how good it would be then. There are ice machines on each floor, which is always a nice touch.
Our rate included a buffet breakfast served in their large nicely laid out restaurant, and it was pretty good with plenty of choice of both hot and cold items. The bacon was cooked nice and crispy, the scrambled eggs were soft and creamy, and the sausages were of good quality.

Overall a very nice stay in a good location for transport links and shopping. We paid around £100 per night including breakfast, which for London is OK. Whether I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel would depend on what deal you are offered at the time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear KevJ,

I was delighted to learn that you and your partner had a great weekend with us in February. I must thank you for your kind words.

Our aim at Hilton London Kensington is to ensure that each and every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. I am pleased that the team delivered our standard first class service to you both and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next down in London!