“Good location but not a great hotel”

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #506 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were booked thru Trafalgar as we were starting a tour from the hotel. We had 5 nights prior to the tour. When we checked in we were told we had a twin room. We asked for a double but the answer was that as they were busy on our last two nights we would have to ay 20 pounds per night (100 in total). We stayed wit a twin. On checking out I tied to pay in cash but they would not accept my £50 notes as they are aparantely old notes (I got gem from my bank n New Zealand). We had previously paid for Hopper bus tickets with them at the hotel and also at lots of shops in London - no one said anything anywhere till we went to check out, and it was 6pm and we were leaving early - really embarrassing! Room attendant took 6 minutes to clean room, maybe that's why we ran out of soap, shampoo etc! Breakfast was great and bar staff also good.

Stayed: June 2013
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Whilst I am grateful for you taking the time to provide us with invaluable feedback, I was horrified to learn of the numerous inconveniences you encountered. Please accept my sincere apologies for our failings on this occasion.

I have taken on board all of your comments and have liaised with the departmental heads and we are looking into how and why the various issues arose as they are indeed unacceptable.

Once again, I am very sorry for any disappointment caused and can assure you that should you return to Hilton London Kensington in the future, you will see that this does not reflect our usual high standard of service.

Bernadette Gilligan

Write a ReviewReviews (4,440)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I spent 1 week with my family mid april 2013. Asked for an executive room with an extra bed for our 4 year old son. We checked in at 9am and entered in the room by 6 pm. the extra bed was not in when entered in the room, To enter the extra small bed they had to take out some furniture from the room, as it is quite small.
Small rooms. Room service is very poor. We had to ask for our room to be done at 18h30 twice. Restaurant is closed on Mondays for dinner(I could not believe it) the small bar they have was crowded and more than 1 hour to be served. Rooms poorly isolated as we could hear others people's screams and talks in the rooms and in the corridors.
Asked to have my air miles credited I was offered the Hilton Honors card. I accepted but only after they assured me three times that I would get my air miles.
The concierges are the best people at the hotel as they are always helping with a smile.
After 2 months dealing with the customer service (around 10 emails at this moment) no air miles and only apologize. Good manners but no solutions.
Internet access is poor and expensive.
I have been in other Hilton before but this is not one of them..
Fernando.

Room Tip: I wonder if there is one
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fernando M
kevin_byrnes1, Director of Operations at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Whilst I am grateful for you taking the time to provide us with invaluable feedback, I am disappointed to see that after all of your encounters with my team we were still unable to meet your needs. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience which was undoubtedly caused.

I would like to investigate this further and would therefore be most grateful if you could please contact me to ensure I arrange for this matter to be brought to a satisfactory conclusion and prevent any further delays in restoring your faith in our service.

Kevin Byrnes
kevin.byrnes@hilton.com
Director of Operations

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel had an efficient check in procedure. The room was very clean and airy. A tiny housekeeping glitch was rectified immediately and to my satisfaction. All of the members of the staff with whom I had contact were very helpful and very personable. The breakfast buffet had a wide variety of options and everything that I ate was delicious. I really enjoyed my brief stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I was thrilled to learn that you had a satisfactory and enjoyable stay with us and am most grateful for your kind feedback.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to Hilton London Kensington in the not too distant future for a less brief stay!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel has a good location, three minutes walk from Shepherds Bush station. Foyer, bar and dining facilities (especially breakfasts) very good and staff there are excellent. However, be aware that the standard rooms here are quite small, with limited space for suitcases. For a couple, you are always in each others way (we decided to upgrade to an executive suite).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. I was delighted to learn that you had a good stay and that the team treated you well.

I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington when you and your family are next in London.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Firstly, some taxi drivers confuse the the Hilton Kensington with the Hilton on High street Kensington. Make sure you emphasis that you want the one on Holland Park Avenue!

On arrival, the porters are plentiful, helpful and not at all pushy. The reception staff are efficient and i have found them to be pleasant and welcoming. Charlene is often on the desk when I arrive in the early hours - she is excellent.

I've stayed here several times; sometimes when spending leisure time in London, others, and more often, when interviewing applicants for jobs. For business use this hotel is excellent. There is a good range of large and small rooms to book and the staff are attentive, ensuring that water, coffee, etc are readily available. The signage in reception is clear and staff are good at taking care of candidates. There is also a very convenient seating area for people to wait for one to see them.

As a leisure customer, the hotel is very good OVERALL, but with some shortfalls. The rooms are OK, but probably ready for a refurb. The suites, in general, are not at all worth the money - some have a second room that is dark and dingy. As a Hilton Honours holder, I sometimes have a suite offered as an upgrade and sometimes wish that I hadn't been! There ARE some good suites, but ask to see one before agreeing.

A major beef for me is that the airconditioning is poor and sometimes she blows, but she doesn't cool. The other, minor perhaps, but irritating, is that the morning paper often doesn't arrive at my room.

I always take an Executive Room - with access to the Exec Lounge and so do not tend to take breakfast in the restuarant, preferring the breakfast in the lounge. I have to say that I have noticed some significant queues for breakfast and I am delighted, at these times, to be able to enter the peace of the lounge and immediately hit the food.

The bar area is fine and, if you are interested in sport, the two large TVs at one end show most of hte majot British sporting events - I recently watched there the final match in the 2013 British and irish Lions vs Australia series. (Alongside an Australian couple, making the experinece even better). Bar snacks are available.

There is a gym that I haven't (but should) use.

Drinks are the usual Hilton level price with the COSTA coffee being rather excessive ni this respect. I haven't tried the resruarant for several years as there are numerous good options within walking distance. Notting Hill Gate is about 8 minutes (at a brisk pace) away. Westfield Shopping Mall has a wide range of cafes - representing food from around the world.

For those who like to shop; the large Westfield Mall is two minutes walk and, to get down town, there is a choice of Shepher's Bush and Holland Park stations. These are both on the Central Line and so they go direct to Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. if you are loaded up with shopping either get a cab (about GBP10 to 12) or get a 94 bus from Oxford Street - it drops off RIGHT OUTSIDE the hotel's front door. If using public transport for most travel - buy an Oyster Card at a tube station

Why all this talk about shopping and other things OUTSIDE of the hotel? Simply because these are what makes it well worth considering. The whole package is thus:

- Reasonable rooms at a better price than other similar hotels in London
- Good Executive Lounge
- Pleasant and helpful staff
- Suites not so great and rooms in general ready for refurb
- AC in rooms is flaky
- my morning paper often doesn't get to my room
- A much shorter triop to and from Heathrow than downtown hotels
- Excellent for business use
- Good shopping on the doorstep
- Excellent and easy options to get downtown
- onsite gym

So overall I recommend the Hilton Kensington highly - especially if you take a room with executive lounge access.

Room Tip: On arrival ASK to see the room before taking it. Rooms at the front have a much better outlook.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Xeta

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing us with such detailed feedback. I am most grateful for you taking the time to do so!

I have shared your valued feedback with the entire team here and confirm that Charlene at the boys at Concierge have received special recognition for their first class service. I must, however, apologise for the issues you had with the air conditioning in your rooms. I have raised this with our Chief Engineer and he is now conducting inspections on all air conditioning units in bedrooms. I confirm that I have also spoken with the relevant department to ensure that every guest who is expecting a newspaper receives their newspaper at the proper time. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Once again, many thanks for providing such detailed and informative feedback. This will no doubt be most useful to those who are planning on staying with us and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your partner back to Hilton London Kensington soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Upon arriving here, there was a really warm welcome and as Diamond HHonors I was given a very nice executive room, with access to the executive lounge. The check-in process was efficient and within minutes I was in my room. My preferences were honoured(high floor, near elevator etc) and the room, a Double Executive was well apportioned, very clean and had a nice view. The bathroom was very modern and everything was working.

The executive lounge was very comfortable and not crowded at all; the hors d'oeuvres were varied and tasty and there were complimentary drinks. I ordered room service and was suprised how quickly it was delivered. The TV in the room was particularly good and had a lovely HD screen.

The hotel is a peaceful walk from Holland Park and a nice stroll to Hyde Park, walking past Notting Hill Gate. The nearest tube is Shepherds Bush, although Holland Park is just a 10 min walk too if you like a stroll.

Checking out was as simple as checking in and again the attitude of frnt desk staff was positive and friendly. I have stayed in quite a few London Hiltons & Doubletree's and this one will definately get a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank StuartUK30

Dear Guest,

I was absolutely thrilled to learn that you had a great stay at Hilton London Kensington and that you received the warm welcome and first class service to which we pride ourselves on!

I have shared your wonderful feedback with the entire team here and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect stay.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel staff were gracious and helpful. Accommodations were quite nice. Property very convenient to tube stop. Restaurant food is mediocre at best, but lots of places to dine out. Would definitely recommend this property and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am most grateful for you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I would also like to thank you for your very kind email which you sent to me following your stay.

I am so pleased that you and your partner had an enjoyable stay with us and am delighted that you will be returning to Hilton London Kensington in the future!