Upon exiting the hotel a few blocks to left is the gigantic, ultramodern Westfield shopping center, an attraction in itself; whereas, turning to the right and walking a few blocks you are in the quaint neighborhoods of Holland Park and Notting Hill, with plenty of restaurants and little shops. My wife and I had decided to eat Indian food every evening at a different restaurant. We started with the Royal Tandoori across the street from the hotel. My wife loved the pink saffron rice, tandori chicken and samosas. We returned there a second time after eating in other Indian restaurants. We thought that Malabar a 15 minute walk from the hotel was quite interesting Indian restaurant. The Shepards Bush underground station is only a two minute walk from the hotel, but you will have to negotiate a busy traffic roundabout to reach it. We purchased a 7 day travel card, which worked out great.
We didn't stay at the hotel at the best of times. One morning there was low water pressure and no hot water at 8AM. There was also a major water leak from the ceiling in the lobby. The response of the hotel staff was mixed. When I complained about the hot water at the reception desk, once I was told simply that there was a technical problem with the machine and it would be fixed. On check-out the receptionist asked how was I my stay and I received many apologies and vouchers for drinks.Wrt the concierge the one I encountered was a bit aloof and not very helpful, compared to those that I encountered elsewhere in London.
Perhaps because of my lack of extensive travel experience and familiarity with English plumbing, it took me some time to figure out how to use the shower faucet. The right hand knob controls whether the water goes to the tube or shower and how much water. The left hand knob controls the temperature. If you are American, don't look for the lever that controls whether water goes to the shower. The room had everything, even an ironing board. The flat panel TV was off at an odd 45 degree angle from the bed, which wasn't very comfortable. We had a great view from our room and a balcony overlooking a park. What was very strange that our room was always cold even though we had the funny control up to maximum temperature and fan full speed. There is a vent letting cold air come in from the window, which is locked. If you don't tightly close the curtain, cold air will come in.
Upon arrival we were offered a deal of paying GBP 12 for breakfast every morning of our stay; otherwise it would be GBP 18 for a full English breakfast. We skipped breakfast every morning except the last. The buffet had a wide selection. The service was excellent, but we had the feeling that they were trying too hard to get us to finish and free up our table. If you are used to having breakfast, I would take the hotel deal. There is no cafe close by and you would have to walk to the shopping center or to Holland Park.
The hotel lobby was full of airline crews,sports teams and other groups and was a busy, cheerful place. The lounge in the lobby was also very pleasant .
If I had business in this area of London, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Expect a warm welcome the moment you arrive at Hilton London Kensington. We’re located in the leafy district of Holland Park, 30 minutes from Heathrow Airport, with excellent transport links into Central London and three different tube lines nearby. Spend a leisurely day at Westfield London Shopping Centre, just 5-minutes away, the largest mall in London features 265 high-end shops, over 50 restaurants, a spa and a cinema. After a busy day taking in the sights of London, retreat to one of our stylish rooms or suites. Enjoy the fresh, bright décor of a guest room, choose a deluxe room for extra amenities or upgrade to a suite for a separate living space. Executive rooms offer Executive Lounge access with free continental breakfast, afternoon refreshments and an open bar. Start the day with a hearty buffet breakfast in the chic WestEleven restaurant, serving innovative dishes prepared with the freshest ingredients. Meet with friends over cocktails in the Avenue Bar & Lounge, or enjoy a freshly brewed coffee while surfing the web. Staying at the Hilton London Kensington is about making the most out of your time in London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelPower, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton London Kensington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Kensington Hotel London
- London Hilton
- Hilton Kensington
- Hilton London Kensington England