“If I'd wanted a Sauna I would go to the gym!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Notting Hill)   |
Special Offer
Save up to 30% Off
Ranked #497 of 1,066 Hotels in London
England
“If I'd wanted a Sauna I would go to the gym!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location of this hotel is ideal on the north side of Hyde Park, well Kensington Gardens more accurately and right next door to Queensway tube station and when you enter the reception area it has all the normal expectations of a Hilton Hotel, well trained staff and clean. However that is where it stops.

The bar area is attractive with stained glass showing its age and has a small but well stocked bar but it was like a sauna (maybe a not so subtle ploy to get you to purchase more drinks). Drink prices are high, be warned and 12.5% service charge is levied.

Next to the bar area is the retaurant although I use the term loosely. I ate breakfast from the buffet there which was adequate but I certainly would not consider dinner as it gives the impression of having a tiny kitchen that caters for low cost guests (I may be wrong of course).

Rooms are typically Hilton (although I did have the privilege of a Superior Room) but because of the age only have secondary glazing which doesn't keep too much of the Bayswater Road traffic out. However, the heat in them is unbearable especially as the air conditioning was not working. The secondary glazing did nothing to help the situation as attempts to open the windows met with some frustration and exacerbated the Bayswater Road traffic noise. I am also glad that I tested the temperature of the shower before getting under it or I would surely have received 2nd degree burns.

All-in-all I have stayed in lower priced London Hotels than this and had a much better experience. Back to Doubletree next time!!

Room Tip: Get a superior room if you can afford it
1 Thank Archie58UK
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Archie58UK,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton London Hyde Park. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the heating systems in the room. The hotel offers heating from the central heating in our rooms, as well as a separate it cooling system both of which our guests can control. If you had let us know, I am sure my team would have been able to assist you in finding a comfortable temperature for you. I can appreciate your comments regarding the bar charges, however these are in line with those in the local area.

One a more positive note, I was pleased that you found the service from our staff, in particular the Front Desk team, welcoming and efficient. I am sure the team will be positively encouraged by your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to see you again at the hotel soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This Hilton Hotel is well located right in front of Hyde Park between Marble Arch and Notting Hill. It is also very close to the tube station.
Even if it belongs to the Hilton chain is not a luxurious Hotel, it could be considered as a very good 3 stars hotel guaranteed by Hilton. The lobby is very small, the rooms are confortable, frendly staff and acceptable breakfast.
Choice this Hotel for the location, for the clean rooms but do not expect anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited London this past April, and after a lot of searching around we decided to stay at the Hilton Hyde Park. We had read many reviews and they were kind of "all over the lot". First, let me say the hotel is located directly above the tube stop. That is a tremendous asset to for starters. Warning, the tube stop does not have an elevator (lift) to street level. So if you have two 50 lb. suitcases, dragging them up three flights of stairs can be a pretty good workout! The hotel is right around the corner from the tube entrance. We expect European hotels to be a little cramped and yet found our room to be adequate. A step above cramped at least. The rooms were clean very nice. We were on the second floor and had a nice view of the park looking down the entrance towards Kensington Palace. Our plan included breakfast which was wonderful. As we were out on the town the entire day, we pretty much ate our fill at the breakfast buffet and didn't eat until supper save for a snack once in a while It saved us a good deal of money on meals and it was very, very good. The staff was extremely helpfull. They gave us a lot of informaiton and local knowledge. We used them as a resource every day. If you like to walk, as we do, you can walk to a lot of great attractions: Hyde Park and Kensington Palace are literally across the street. Portobello Road is just 5 blocks away. You are very close to Notting Hill We walked to Paddington Station one day and it was no big deal. Of course Queensway is a vibrant area to walk around in also. I enjoyed our stay. I wasn't bothered by the street noise. I found the room to be fine. The breakfast and staff to be the best. I guess you figured out that I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park. You will love the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Weston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is NO Hilton. The rooms are small, the furniture is cheap, the shower is barely big enough to turn around in, no shelf in the shower for shampoo, etc. The fixtures are old and many are coming apart. The lobby is dirty, small and the restaurant and bar are IN THE BASEMENT. This is advertised as a 4 star hotel, that is a complete joke.

1 Thank WinsorTraveler
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear WinsorTraveler,

I am sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations on your recent stay. Hilton London Hyde Park was built in 1905, being an old building this does bring some structural challenges, however we are proud to service this iconic location. As a historic building we do get good compliments regarding the character of the hotel though I appreciate this may not be to everyone’s taste. I understand you booked a single room which, due to the restrictions of the building, are smaller than our standard guest rooms. Had you informed one of our team members we would have been more than happy to find an alternative room you were more comfortable in. In addition, I would like highlight that our restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel, through the lobby entrance.

I would like to welcome you back to us so you can experience the hotel in a better light, please feel free to contact me at harun.dagli@hilton.com should you plan to return and I will ensure your next experience with us is a more positive one.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

helsinki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.

The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.

There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.

This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!

If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard

Room Tip: Triple check your rate, and be aware that the rooms on the first floor that do not overlook a nosy s...
3 Thank daravida
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear daravida,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was sorry to hear that this experience did not match you expectations on this stay. I do understand that my Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you to rectify your issues and I hope that he has been able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

We do hope that you may give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime soon.

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Good location, next to Tube station. Comfort is average, breakfast was very good. The hotel is nothing to get wild about, but OK. It was a good starting point visiting the city. Prices are rather high, but I guess it's due to London.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fvanvlem,

I was pleased that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our breakfast of an excellent standard. I do agree that hotel offer a great base to explore all that London has to offer with the great transport links we have on the hotels door step.

We would welcome the chance to host you again for any future visits to London you may have.

Kind regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently spent a number of nights in this hotel for business. Overall, the hotel looks tired and badly in need of renovations. My room and bathroom were adequate, but nothing exciting. Prices are high for a hotel that feels more like a 3 star.

Internet access is extra, and after paying for one day's access, I couldn't log on due to "technical difficulties". I was assured this would be removed from the bill, but it was not, and I had to ask to have to removed when I checked out.

Another nasty surprise on checkout was an unauthorised bar bill on my account. When the slip was retrieved, I found my name and room number in someone else's handwriting, together with a fake signature. After querying this the amount was removed, but surprisingly the manager was not particularly apologetic, considering that this must have been an inside job - nobody else knew that my name went with my room number.

Overall, an experience that left a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BD8J
Dear BD8J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was saddened to hear of the issues that you encountered during your stay at the hotel. It is my understanding that our Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you regarding your comments and I trust that he will assist in resolving this for you.

I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to host you again on a future trip to London and see the changes we are making at the hotel.