“Decent”

Ranked #125 of 1,088 Hotels in London
West Mids
“Decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had an event to go to in East London so decided to stay here rather than Central London for a change. Well worth it, in my opinion. It's a lovely hotel, easy to get to, light, modern, airy (all that sort of business). Rooms are large and the service was friendly and professional throughout. My wife used the spa and said it was very fancy. My one negative was the breakfast buffet- cooked breakfast just isn't that nice when it's been sat there for a while. Most five star hotels I've stayed in cook breakfast to order and I think you should be able to expect that from hotels at this level. A bit more choice would be nice too- eggs benedict maybe? Waffles? It is a big hotel though, so maybe it's just not practical when they're catering for large numbers?
Anyway, it's a very nice hotel. You probably wouldn't want to stay there if it's your first time in London and you're looking to do touristy stuff- it's a bit out of the way for Central London. If you're looking for something in East London though, it's a winner. Good shopping/eating in Canary Wharf, good links on the DLR, easy to get to Greenwhich, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fickleWestMids
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear fickleWestMids
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking time to write about your visit.

It’s wonderful that you enjoyed the service and the room, and I am glad your wife enjoyed the treatment suite. Thank you for your feedback about breakfast - this is something that we are reviewing on an ongoing basis, and I hope you will notice the difference on your next visit!

Thank you again, and I look forward to meeting you on your next stay.

Warmest regards
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Jersey Ci
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Turning up in London on a Sunday afternoon not having booked anywhere to stay we decided to try the Four Seasons in Canary Wharf as we did not wish to stay in central London.
All the staff from the Concierge to the check in staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. We decided to upgrade to a room which over looked the Thames. The money was well spent with fantastic views of the Thames and the high rise business area of London.Being able to sit on the window ledge which was a form of seat and watch the sun set was surprisingly beautiful - I am used to sunsets over beaches!!!!
Whilst the room did lack the personal touch it was clean, modern and simply furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was fresh and clean. It was one of the nicest rooms we have stayed in in London.
We had room service food which was of a good standard and took less than 1/2 hour to arrive.
We did not us the swimming pool or the gym but could see it from our room. The swimming pool had a great view over the Thames.

It is a great location for shopping with the Canary Wharf shopping centre close by. My wife was more than happy with the choice of shops and felt it was a good alternative to central London. I on the other hand had 1 1/2 hour to spend. i jumped on one of the boats which run between Canary Wharf and London Eye which gave me great views of Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament etc. Return trip takes about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Really nice place to stay if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of Central London. Staff made us feel really welcome.

Room Tip: We think it was 422 but it was room overlooking Thames (in case you had not guessed!)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear DavidJerseyCI
I am so pleased that you made the impromptu decision to stay with us a few weeks ago!

Thank you for your very kind comments about the service and the team, and it’s also wonderful that you enjoyed watching the sun setting over the London skyline from the window seat in your room. It’s certainly a calming, serene and tranquil way to spend a leisurely evening.

Hopefully on your next visit, you’ll have the opportunity to use the pool – it’s one of the best swimming experiences in London with its infinity edge and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Thames. Even James Bond loved it in Skyfall...

Thank you for taking the time to write about us and I hope to meet you in person in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I proposed to my girlfriend at the Four Seasons and what an unforgettable and amazing experience it was! I contacted the hotel beforehand to let them know what I was planning and they were so helpful and accommodating. From the moment I stepped into the hotel we were both treated like royalty. Words can not describe the level of service we received. I can only say thank you to everyone who was involved in making that day the best day of our entire lives.  Amar and  Jamsheed on the concierge desk were amazing, keeping me calm when I was under a great deal of stress and arranging anything and everything I wanted, even coming up with ideas to make our day even better than it was already going. We had a champagne afternoon tea which was specially arranged slightly earlier than usually allowed, the scones and clotted cream was the best we have ever had, compliments to the chef. They also took great care of my now fiancée's dietary requirements which was brilliant. We then rested for an hour or so in the delightful room from which the large bay windows give the most amazing view of the Thames. We had a massage booked at the spa and spa assistant even even came to the room to escort us to the spa, brilliant touch. The hour long massages were unbelievable and easily the best massages we have both had and much needed to calm those nerves. After the massages my girlfriend decided to have a quick nap whilst I went to the concierge desk to confirm if everything was arranged for later. They had the most amazing gift for me which I won't share on here but they know ;-) thank you so much for that!! The plan was to go for dinner and return to the room which would be scattered with 500 pictures that I had printed of us along with champagne, chocolates, flowers, our favourite songs playing in the background, candles (electronic for H&S reasons) and I asked the staff if they could set the room up and they were more than happy to do so. Susanne and another staff member whose name I cant remember were both very helpful, so thank you! Susanne even arranged a special treat for us in the room which we both enjoyed very much! We went to dinner and came back and as my girlfriend went to use the bathroom in the main hall Amar had a brilliant idea which was for me to wait in the room and for him to bring her up to the room... As she walked in I was one knee... She froze, looked around the room, her reflection bouncing off the large bay windows with the Thames lit up in the background, she looked at me still motionless with her hands to her face... I reached for her hand and asked her to come here, before I could even ask The Question... she said "yes, yes, yes"... AMAZING! Thank you to all the staff for making it so special for us... The room was set up even better than I had imagined, there was so much thought put into the placement of every picture and every candle. It was an experience that we will never forget. I can only apologise for taking so long to write this review, it has been on my ever growing to do list but I've finally had a chance to write it and I'm so glad I have done because it reminds me how special that day was and how each and every person involved at the hotel made it so wonderful for us. Apologies if I have missed anyone out. We can't wait to stay here again... Hopefully I will get to see you all soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DPatel03
Dear DPatel03
Oh my goodness – what an amazing review!

Many, many congratulations on your engagement – all of us here at Four Seasons wish you and your fiancée every happiness in your future together.

When I shared your review with the team, it was one of the most wonderful moments for all of us. To know that we helped you to create such a beautiful experience, the memory of which both you and your fiancée will treasure for many years to come, has made all of us extremely happy.

Amar, Susanne and Jamsheed loved all the “covert” activity to create this very special surprise for your girlfriend, and they are even more delighted that she said yes!

Thank you for choosing our hotel for this very special moment, and of course, we all look forward to welcoming you both back on future occasions.

Wishing you much joy and happiness together.
Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my friends for a weekend in London. The service is exceptional. There are no tea & coffee in the room but we telephoned down to room service & within minutes it had arrived. Bedrooms are large with a huge bathroom - seperate bath/shower etc. I was super excited about the L'Occitane toilettries!

Travelled from the Clipper ferry from Embankment 30mins down the Thames. Views of the city were amazing. There was an amazing swimming pool overlooking the Thames but unfortunatley we didn't have enough time to go in.
I would definately recommend this hotel for a weekend away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear JHopkin14
I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your weekend stay with us earlier this month!

Thank you for your very kind comments about the service, which I have shared with the team.

Hopefully next time you visit, you’ll have time to use the pool – you can follow in the footsteps of Daniel Craig, when the pool was used for one of the scenes in Skyfall...

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons for your weekend break and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on future occasions.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Staff was exceptional, I have never experienced such seamless service. Housekeeping kept our room spotless. The housekeeper even offered to have a humidifier brought to our room when she heard me coughing. How thoughtful. While dining in the restaurant the staff noticed I was under the weather and made me a special tea. We were sitting in the lounge area and a staff member from the front desk noticed we needed refills on our beverages and alerted the food and beverage staff. I could go on and on about how professional everyone we came into contact with were. Management should be very proud of their employees.

We had a king room on the 5th floor with a view of the river Thames, room was quite spacious.

There are several restaurants close by. We ate at two of them, Gaucho (upscale) which served steaks and was quite good, and Zizzi (casual) pizza was good.

Can not attest to the fitness facility/swimming pool as we didn't have time to use them.

Only negative I can think of (and this is a bit of a reach) is it that the location is not close to the more popular sites of London, however once we got the tube down and used the water taxi that is right behind the hotel, even that became fun.

Room Tip: Enjoyed a spacious king room with a view of the Thames.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Seattle500
Gosh – what a lovely review!

Thank you so much for your very kind comments. The team was thrilled when I shared your feedback with everyone today.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you are feeling a little better now.

We all very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future, and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Marden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Excellent service from the time of reservation until the moment we left. Attention to detail was impeccable including a towelling robe and slippers for our 4 year old, personalised london bus key card and kids step to reach the sink.

This part of London is quiet at the weekend and there is a boat service from the hotel to the main sites.

Watch out for weekend specials as you can get a good deal in a 1st class property.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Angie S
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Beefyays
I am so pleased that you and your family chose to spend your weekend break with us here at Canary Riverside, and thank you very much for your kind comments.

You’re right about the great boats from the pier by the hotel – this is a new discovery for many people and it’s the best way to experience London.

I hope you will visit us again to explore more of the local – the Olympic Park will be opening to the public in a couple of months and it’s so close to the hotel!

I very much look forward to meeting you on future visits.

Zambia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel defines customer service. I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world, for some reason this is the first time I have stayed at a Four Season. I am amazed. There is NOTHING this hotel can't do for you, the staff are smiling, welcoming. From now on, I will only stay at Four Seasons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear ZedTraveller2012
It’s wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Canary Riverside!

I have shared your very kind comments with everyone here at the hotel and we are all absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

We all hope you will return to visit us again soon, and in the meantime I wish you a fabulous summer ahead.