“Slick Business Hotel”

Ranked #138 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney
“Slick Business Hotel”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I normally stay in the West End and this was my first stay and I will be back. Every thing was done perfectly - the gym, coffee, breakfast (good to see them open at 6.30 am) and wireless was all good. While it is a 10 minute walk to the tube there are plenty of trains. Other London hotels could learn from their service levels.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HaweaBob
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear HaweaBob
I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to stay with us here at Canary Riverside as a change from your usual West End locations, and it’s wonderful that you enjoyed your visit!

Thank you for taking time to write about us, and I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime, I wish you a wonderful week ahead.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

A little out of the bustle of the city but only 20 minutes on the tube. Shops and restaurants are only 10 minutes walk at canary wharf. Great rooms and bathrooms etc even greater staff who couldn't be more helpful and accommodating. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Tracktrick
Thank you so much for such a lovely review!

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your weekend experience, and I have shared your kind comments with the team.

It’s wonderful that you enjoyed a weekend here at Canary Rierside – more people should do it, and thank you for spreading the word!!

I very much look forward to meeting you on future visits.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you like corporate hotels then this is the place for you, and if your company is picking up the tab even better.
It's a great location for the O2, as was our reason for staying here.
The staff were really friendly and attentive.
The pool and fitness suite is excellent and it's a real treat swimming in a pool overlooking the Thames.
The bedrooms are so dull, and for the money I thought they'd have more style and luxury.
Breakfast is really disappointing, for £26 I'd expect a full English freshly cooked, not cold congealed fried eggs from the buffet, and they had the cheek to charge us £26 for our 10 yr old daughter who only had a hot chocolate and a croissant from the buffet.
Drinks at the bar are pricey, £11 for a pretty weak vodka and grapefruit.
You get the feeling that this hotel has a captive market with the corporate world and is really tapping into it.
Steer clear if you are not able to 'expense it'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear BluebellChloe
Thank you for taking time to write about your stay with us last month.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the location, leisure facilities and the service from the team. I am, however, sorry to learn of your disappointment with breakfast. We offer a combination of buffet and a la carte menus for breakfast and on future visits I hope you will take the opportunity to enjoy the freshly prepared a la carte options. With regard to your daughter, we should not have charged the full price, and I apologise that we didn’t spot this before you left. I would be happy to make a refund if you wish to contact me. With regard to bar pricing, we carry out regular surveys of prices in similar venues and we aim to ensure our prices are consistent with other venues.

We have many different types of room available, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you are attending another event at the O2 – I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you and ensure a memorable stay with us.

Kind regards
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is the top end choice for Canary Wharf. The location is convenient for the tube stop and the Thames Clipper, and it's the best hotel in proximity to the O2 Center. I stayed here for several days for an event hosted by my employer. The rooms are very nice with huge bathrooms (bathtub and separate shower - heaven) and comfortable beds with duvets. The service is outstanding - really attentive and helpful. I had breakfast in my room one morning and it was perfect. If you have to stay in Canary Wharf and money is not a major consideration, this is the hotel to stay in. I think it's very hard to go wrong with the Four Seasons properties.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear americantravelgirl
Thank you very much for recommending our hotel!

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The location of the hotel is in Canary Warf where our London office moved last year. It is a 10 mins walk away. It is pain to reach Canary Wharf from Heathrow, takes over an hour and taxi is the only real way to get there.

The hotel is efficient. The rooms are large with great view over the Thames. The internet connection is included in the room - one less irritaation.

The staff is friendly and willing to provide service. Quite a change from the central London hotels, where the staff is downright hostile to the guets. See my review on the Interncontinental Park Lane. Room service is quick. Ask for an extra Ketchup and it is there in 2 mins before you really start missing it

The best part is that they have a tie up withe Virgin Gym next door. Thi gym is amazing...great pool in a glass house. The friendly doorman who guided me there told me that this was used in Skyfall movie. The gym has 2 floors of equipment. The basement has a variety of different water pools- hydrothreapy, jacuzzi etc. It was so relaxing. Will come back just for this gym. Really smart move by them to get into this tie up. Come back from the gym and there is a bottle of water for you...all in a friendly manner.

Had lunch in the restaurant, the fish was very nicely done. The Italian tapas was good too.

Overall the staff and the organisation of the hotel makes the difference. The staff is friendly and seems to genuinely like their jobs. They speak to you with pride in their work and want to make you feel comfortable. It does not seem like they have come off an assembly line of employees. The doorman, waiters, room service staff, counter staff everyone takes a few seconds to make a conversation and make you feel less like a stranger.

They overcome obvious irritations of staying in hotels like running out of tea bags...ask for extra and they will send that you immediately and also ask the smart question like do you want extra milk with it. Both the times they asked it, I realised that I would need it.

The hotel arranged for our return taxi, very polite and clean taxi ride. Even amongst the generally high standards of a London Black cab drivers, this one was exceptionally good. Did not pick up any phones in our 90 minute ride. Felt much safter.

Room Tip: Take a room facing the Thames
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SingaporeKAP
Dear SingaporeKAP
Thank you for choosing to stay with us earlier this month and thank you for writing such a lovely review.

I have shared your very kind comments with the team and we are all delighted that you enjoyed the service and facilities. Your very kind comments about the team are very much appreciated – it’s a great motivator for everyone to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in London, and in the meantime please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

England
Reviewed February 15, 2013

What set this hotel apart was the service. We stayed for a special occasion and - Wow - was it special! Staff treated us immaculately - obviously trained to perfection. Not bowing and scraping which I hate, but always attentive and offering help and advice. We were made to feel like we were the hotel's most important customers, which I guess is how in a perfect world every hotel guest should feel.

It's impossible to single out individuals without missing somebody, but reception was great, as was the bar ably run by Dario and his team, and dinner in the Quadrato was superb, as was the restaurant manager. We had a river view room which offered marvellous views up to the Shard, Gherkin etc and beyond, and was very spacious.

Though the spa is separate, it's worth a visit and very easy to pop into to enjoy the hydrotherapy baths, sauna and steam room. Of course the hotel exists mainly to serve a business clientale, and is expensive, but the experience compares very favourably to that in over-priced leisure hotels in tourist areas such as the Cotswolds which charge similar rates.

Room Tip: the higher the better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Davebellmk
I am so happy that you enjoyed your special celebration stay with us.

The team takes great pride in endeavouring to create experiences that generate fond memories of special moments, and I have shared your very kind comments with everybody, especially Dario, Alex and the reception team.

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons for this special occasion and I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent Staff and Great rooms!!! I recommend this hotel and because the Staff members are outstanding and make you feel at home and valued guests!!! If you have the opportunity please stay at this Hotel. I do recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MichaelPurtill, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Liz Ann M
Thank you so much for recommending our hotel.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us last month, and the team was extremely happy to read your very kind comments. We love to make people feel at home!!

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to stay with us here at Canary Riverside in the not too distant future.