“Five star hotel, five star prices”

Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel
Ranked #131 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Five star hotel, five star prices”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for three nights over the weekend of October 19th to 22nd 2012. The facilities at the hotel were first-class, as you might expected, and the hotel is in a great location beside the river.

My room faced out towards the street, but it was very quite. My sleep was only disturbed on the Saturday night when about 50 boy racers in their Subaru's congregated near the hotel to race through the tunnels. This went on for about an hour, but it's not something the hotel could control.

I only had breakfast on the first day, as this was paid for by the company. The breakfast was ok, but I have had better. Plenty of choices though. I ate in the bar on one night and the meal was acceptable, but again, I have had better.

The only real gripe I had was with the bar prices - £6 for a pint of draught lager (Peroni) and £10 for a small glass of wine.

I would probably stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Alan R
Thank you for writing about your stay with us, and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel’s location by the river and the hotel facilities.

I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast. Following feedback about the importance of speed and value pricing, we are now testing the idea of a simple daily buffet at a lower price, as an alternative to the made-to-order a la carte menu items. I hope on your next visit you will enjoy the convenience of this choice of styles and service.

Your feedback about the bar pricing is also appreciated. We periodically review the selection and quality of the wines, beers and other drinks together with their prices to ensure we are in line with other venues in Canary Wharf. We will continue to monitor this to ensure the best possible value.

I am delighted that you would stay with us again, and in this respect do let me know if there is anything I can do to assist with your arrangements.

Michael Purtill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Wow what an amazing hotel. I am a wheelchair user and as soon as I arrived I was greeted by the Head of Security Eric who had prepared a personal evacuation plan for me and arranged for me to have a buddy in the event of an emergency evacuation.

Our room was perfect with L'Occitane toiletries and a super roll in shower for me in the bathroom. The room was a good size with plenty of space for me to wheel about and was very clean. The public facilities were fully accessible and when we went down to breakfast, the staff had reserved me a table, so I didn't have to queue. My table was near the tasty buffet, so I managed very well. I was also offered help. Breakfast was very nice with lots of choice from pastries, cereals, fruit to the traditional full English.

Little things like the staff coming round to me from the reception desk mean a lot and show an awareness of disability equality, sadly lacking in some hotels including 5 star ones too.

I was only there for one night, but I had such a nice stay I could have stayed longer. Well done everyone at the Four Seasons Canary Wharf.

One tip though - I asked the concierge for a wheelchair accessible mini cab to take me back into London, but unfortunaley the company that the hotel deals with does not have accessible minicabs - I suggest they find a minicab firm that does. Only gripe from a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: My wheelchair accessible room was room 207. It was near to the fire proof lift too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Annie 1955
Gosh what a lovely review!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I shared your feedback with the team and everyone is delighted that you enjoyed your visit, especially Eric!

I’ll definitely look into finding car companies that have accessible vehicles – I appreciate your suggestion.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon, and in this respect, please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

In the meantime, I send you my warmest wishes from Canary Riverside

Michael Purtill
Ireland
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is well located for business area in docklands. Slightly starting to show some wear and tear.

Rooms are decent size and have good views, clean and well equipped.

Service in restaurants very poor though. Extremely slow breakfast service and confused too. Spent 45 mins waiting for English breakfast, eventually was brought two poached eggs on toasts so just left and went hungry. Bar staff don't know what a brandy glass and are very slow.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ricpra
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Ricpra
Thank you for taking the time to write about us after your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, but I am very sorry to hear that you experienced poor service in the restaurant and bar. I think I know the day you are referring to, when we experienced a much larger than usual number of guests all at the same time, which caused some service challenges. I sincerely apologise that you had to leave without having your breakfast. I will also follow-up on the brandy glass situation.

I very much hope that you will visit us again, and in this respect, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, in order that I can make special arrangements for you, to make amends for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced.

Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about your experience. Your feedback helps me to understand where we can continue to make improvements.

belgium
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked a deluxe room for a 3 night stay to celebrate the birthday of our godchild (13years). We arrived late at night, tired from a long trip. After entering the hotel and the room, Our little niece was so happy and excited by the personalised birthday cake, the view on the river Thames, her comfortable bed by the bay window, the amenities of the room ...we had a hard time to calm her enthusiasm down and put her to bed! Her review about the hotel and her first visit to London says it all: " it's like Disneyland, but then for real and even better!'
I think, this says enough about this hotel and its service! Thank you all so much for making this the unforgettable experience we hoped to give her!
We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear bienM
I am so touched to know that you enjoyed such a beautiful few days with your god-daughter. It’s treasured experiences such as these that create lasting memories for you to cherish.

There’s plenty more in store, so I hope you will visit us again to explore more adventures together.

Thank you for bringing joy into our day by letting us know that we made a very special young girl so happy.

Warmest wishes
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Its the best hotel in Canary Wharf (on the western edge, closer to Westferry Station than Canary Wharf itself). Great service and the restaurant is surprisingly good. The hotel is pretty low on personality though. Rooms are grey with tones of grey. If you get a river view then that brightens things up a little, but the other side of the hotel its a panorama of East London which isnt too inspiring. You also get a bit of road noise too.

I wouldnt recommend for tourists but on business if your policy allows its the best place on the Wharf.

Room Tip: River view rooms make a massive difference if you are going to see the place in day-light. For busin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear SingBob
Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to people visiting Canary Wharf, and I am delighted that you enjoyed the service and the restaurant.

I hope one day you’ll allow me the opportunity to persuade you to visit us on leisure. It would give me great pleasure to create a customised stay for you that would encompass some of the myriad of fun and fascinating things to see and do here in London east-side. Simply let me know – I’ll allocate one of our nicest rooms and you may be pleasantly surprised by how many enjoyable experiences are right here on our doorstep!

Thank you again for taking time to recommend us, and I very much hope to meet you soon.

Warmest wishes
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been there during October 2012 (Investigator meeting). I can say that there is a very nice view from the rooms (those who turn to the Thamse), the room was very clean, the staff was professional and kind.
The location is 5-10 minutes of walking from the "Canary Wharf" tube station. Then, 5-7 stations to the center of london (about 20 min.).

• Stayed October 2012
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear samkal77
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us for your investigator meeting, and I am glad you enjoyed the view of the River Thames from your room.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team which I will be very happy to share with everyone here at the hotel.

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy some leisure time on your next visit – there is so much to do in the local area here at Canary Riverside!

Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

So it's true that the rooms here are quite sparse and minimalist, and you don't walk in and immediately say 'wow'. But it's all in the detail...

Stayed here to attend a show at the o2 (ideally located for this, only one tube stop away) and it was also my 30th birthday. The room has so many luxurious touches: a huge and extremely comfortable bed (NOT two singles pushed together); fluffy bathrobes; l'occitane bath products; a huge bath and separate shower; a spacious bathroom full of huge mirrors and good lighting; a free shoe cleaning service and a docking station for your iPod. So whilst it's not the most 'wow' room I stayed in, it's certainly the most comfortable. We felt well looked after - treats like glasses of prosecco and mini lemon meringue pies were brought to our room, and I love the turn down service. Why peel back your own bed covers when someone else can do it for you?

On my birthday we had breakfast in the room which was expensive but splendid and the price is comparable to other London hotels of this standard. Despite the fact that hash browns weren't on the menu they appeared on my plate by request. Even the toast was special - I'd love to know where it comes from. I had a fantastic facial in the River View Treatment Room, which literally feels like a hotel room itself, it's private and tucked away and you don't have to walk through reception with your sleep post-facial face. We were offered an umbrella by the door attendant 'just in case it started to rain.' I loved it and would go back in a second.

The best part was probably bumping into Arsene Wenger in the lift. Last time I stayed here Will.i.am was in the lobby. If it's good enough for the likes of them...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Louc77
Gosh – what a lovely review! Thank you for taking time to write about your birthday visit.

Needless to say, I am delighted that you enjoyed so many of the special touches in your room as well as the Prosecco and Lemon Meringue nibbles. It’s also wonderful that you enjoyed your breakfast in your room – always a treat! You mentioned the toast – we use bread from Frankonia and for the toast we selected Viennese White Thick Cut, Norfolk Crunch Brown Thick Cut and Multigrain Wholemeal. I am so delighted that you enjoyed it!

What better way to celebrate a birthday than with a little indulgence in the River View Treatment Suite – I am so pleased you enjoyed some R&R.

I hope you will visit us again next time you are attending an event at the O2 Arena. You never know who you might meet in the hotel next time….

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I send you my warmest wishes from the Wharf