“Rooms decent. Service lacking in bars and restaurants”

Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel
Ranked #125 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Ireland
“Rooms decent. Service lacking in bars and restaurants”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is well located for business area in docklands. Slightly starting to show some wear and tear.

Rooms are decent size and have good views, clean and well equipped.

Service in restaurants very poor though. Extremely slow breakfast service and confused too. Spent 45 mins waiting for English breakfast, eventually was brought two poached eggs on toasts so just left and went hungry. Bar staff don't know what a brandy glass and are very slow.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ricpra
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Ricpra
Thank you for taking the time to write about us after your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, but I am very sorry to hear that you experienced poor service in the restaurant and bar. I think I know the day you are referring to, when we experienced a much larger than usual number of guests all at the same time, which caused some service challenges. I sincerely apologise that you had to leave without having your breakfast. I will also follow-up on the brandy glass situation.

I very much hope that you will visit us again, and in this respect, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, in order that I can make special arrangements for you, to make amends for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced.

Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about your experience. Your feedback helps me to understand where we can continue to make improvements.

Kind regards
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
belgium
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked a deluxe room for a 3 night stay to celebrate the birthday of our godchild (13years). We arrived late at night, tired from a long trip. After entering the hotel and the room, Our little niece was so happy and excited by the personalised birthday cake, the view on the river Thames, her comfortable bed by the bay window, the amenities of the room ...we had a hard time to calm her enthusiasm down and put her to bed! Her review about the hotel and her first visit to London says it all: " it's like Disneyland, but then for real and even better!'
I think, this says enough about this hotel and its service! Thank you all so much for making this the unforgettable experience we hoped to give her!
We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear bienM
I am so touched to know that you enjoyed such a beautiful few days with your god-daughter. It’s treasured experiences such as these that create lasting memories for you to cherish.

There’s plenty more in store, so I hope you will visit us again to explore more adventures together.

Thank you for bringing joy into our day by letting us know that we made a very special young girl so happy.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Its the best hotel in Canary Wharf (on the western edge, closer to Westferry Station than Canary Wharf itself). Great service and the restaurant is surprisingly good. The hotel is pretty low on personality though. Rooms are grey with tones of grey. If you get a river view then that brightens things up a little, but the other side of the hotel its a panorama of East London which isnt too inspiring. You also get a bit of road noise too.

I wouldnt recommend for tourists but on business if your policy allows its the best place on the Wharf.

Room Tip: River view rooms make a massive difference if you are going to see the place in day-light. For busin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear SingBob
Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to people visiting Canary Wharf, and I am delighted that you enjoyed the service and the restaurant.

I hope one day you’ll allow me the opportunity to persuade you to visit us on leisure. It would give me great pleasure to create a customised stay for you that would encompass some of the myriad of fun and fascinating things to see and do here in London east-side. Simply let me know – I’ll allocate one of our nicest rooms and you may be pleasantly surprised by how many enjoyable experiences are right here on our doorstep!

Thank you again for taking time to recommend us, and I very much hope to meet you soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been there during October 2012 (Investigator meeting). I can say that there is a very nice view from the rooms (those who turn to the Thamse), the room was very clean, the staff was professional and kind.
The location is 5-10 minutes of walking from the "Canary Wharf" tube station. Then, 5-7 stations to the center of london (about 20 min.).

• Stayed October 2012
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear samkal77
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us for your investigator meeting, and I am glad you enjoyed the view of the River Thames from your room.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team which I will be very happy to share with everyone here at the hotel.

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy some leisure time on your next visit – there is so much to do in the local area here at Canary Riverside!

Kind regards
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

So it's true that the rooms here are quite sparse and minimalist, and you don't walk in and immediately say 'wow'. But it's all in the detail...

Stayed here to attend a show at the o2 (ideally located for this, only one tube stop away) and it was also my 30th birthday. The room has so many luxurious touches: a huge and extremely comfortable bed (NOT two singles pushed together); fluffy bathrobes; l'occitane bath products; a huge bath and separate shower; a spacious bathroom full of huge mirrors and good lighting; a free shoe cleaning service and a docking station for your iPod. So whilst it's not the most 'wow' room I stayed in, it's certainly the most comfortable. We felt well looked after - treats like glasses of prosecco and mini lemon meringue pies were brought to our room, and I love the turn down service. Why peel back your own bed covers when someone else can do it for you?

On my birthday we had breakfast in the room which was expensive but splendid and the price is comparable to other London hotels of this standard. Despite the fact that hash browns weren't on the menu they appeared on my plate by request. Even the toast was special - I'd love to know where it comes from. I had a fantastic facial in the River View Treatment Room, which literally feels like a hotel room itself, it's private and tucked away and you don't have to walk through reception with your sleep post-facial face. We were offered an umbrella by the door attendant 'just in case it started to rain.' I loved it and would go back in a second.

The best part was probably bumping into Arsene Wenger in the lift. Last time I stayed here Will.i.am was in the lobby. If it's good enough for the likes of them...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Louc77
Gosh – what a lovely review! Thank you for taking time to write about your birthday visit.

Needless to say, I am delighted that you enjoyed so many of the special touches in your room as well as the Prosecco and Lemon Meringue nibbles. It’s also wonderful that you enjoyed your breakfast in your room – always a treat! You mentioned the toast – we use bread from Frankonia and for the toast we selected Viennese White Thick Cut, Norfolk Crunch Brown Thick Cut and Multigrain Wholemeal. I am so delighted that you enjoyed it!

What better way to celebrate a birthday than with a little indulgence in the River View Treatment Suite – I am so pleased you enjoyed some R&R.

I hope you will visit us again next time you are attending an event at the O2 Arena. You never know who you might meet in the hotel next time….

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I send you my warmest wishes from the Wharf
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed for one night for my husband's birthday and to attend an event at the O2 arena and the service really was the best I've recieved in a long time. Our car was taken care of and we were checked in by a friendly and efficient receptionist, our room was lovely/comfortable and the room service we ordered was reasonably priced and delivered promptly. To make things more special the hotel organised a cake and some other extras for my husband's birthday. Would definitely reccommend this hotel and hope to stay again sometime.

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms are great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear TravellingSarah82
I am delighted that you chose to stay with us before the event at the O2 Arena, and it’s wonderful news that you enjoyed your visit.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the service, and I’m glad you enjoyed the birthday cake – our pastry chef loves to put some tasty goodies in guest rooms, especially for special occasions!

The O2 has some fabulous acts lined up for the future, so I very much hope that you’ll visit us again next time you have tickets. If you went on the tube last time, you may wish to try going by boat next time. The pier’s right outside the hotel, and it’s a beautiful boat ride past Greenwich to the O2.

Thank you again for writing about us, and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Recently we have stayed at this Hotel and what initially started as small hiccup it ended as the most enjoyable stay in London. When we arrived we had a minor issue with our a/c unit and the room was too warm. When we inform Reception, the Hotel Assistant Manager Mr. Nelio Afonso, immediately took good care of us, with amazing care, friendliness and efficiency, not only he provided us with an alternative room on a higher floor with a lovely view of the river, but was kind enough to surprise us with a bottle of Italian wine inside the room, what a weekend memory he gave us, truly a Four Seasons Ambassador!! Thank you Mr. Afonso, we will see you again, for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Rahis
Wow – thank you so much for your very kind comments about Nelio! He was absolutely thrilled this morning when he read your review and learned that you enjoyed your visit after he helped you and your family to settle into your room.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. You made Nelio’s day, and it’s such a wonderful motivator for the team who take great pride in doing all possible to create special experiences for our guests.

I very much hope that you will return to stay with us again soon, and in the meantime I wish you a wonderful week ahead.